Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask, because there's a thread running where dirty ammo was the question someone else posed.

IMO, if you're cleaning a firearm after a practice session, it doesn't matter how dirty the ammo shoots, the gun gets cleaned anyway. I've never bought practice ammo simply because "it shoots clean". Cleaning is cleaning, no matter how dirty the ammo is..

As long as it's reliable and fires off when hit by a hammer or striker, I'll use it. Price dictates what I buy, not how clean or dirty the powder is.

· Registered
19,344 Posts
Only one I clean after every session is my edc. All others get wiped down outside and put back. However dirty ammo makes the cleaning longer so it can be an issue sometimes. Instead of a quick 15-20 mins to clean a pistol there may be excess fouling or powder residue that lengthens it.
I kinda chuckle when I read those threads complaining about ‘dirty ammo’ because it seems to me that some of the posters never experienced the milsurp we used to get which was REALLY DIRTY! I’ve still got some Brazilian 7.62 I got in the 80s and yeah that stuff is simply gnarly.

· Registered
8,514 Posts
My three EDCs get a though cleaning after any range visit and once a month. I find a lot of dust around the trigger and other debris from all the walking I do.
The long guns get cleaned every other range visit.

Between real estate jobs I have worked pawn shops. One large one with a very large gun collection fired everybody and I and others were a new crew. My first job was to open several safes where an idiot wrapped the firearms under pawn in saran wrap (gun started to rust with trapped moisture) so I have over one hundred handguns to clean to the owners approval. I got a radio, a fan, a bottle of #9 and went to it. After the owner (Marine) inspected the first few I got a quick and intense education in gun cleaning.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
I swab out my EDC after every practice session. I clean it really carefully, maybe, every third or fourth session.

Guns that I don't shoot very often get a thorough cleaning after any session, since they're liable to be stored away in the safe for a year or more.

Now, I also own some black-powder firearms, and those MUST be very thoroughly cleaned after every use!

· Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm carrying either a Glock or one of the M&Ps all the time. Neither platform is finicky when it comes to ammo, and neither requires frequent cleaning to remain reliable. That said, they get disassembled and cleaned every two to three hundred rounds. Of more concern is keeping them wiped down after spending all day next to my body, particularly the red dots.

As far as target ammo goes, the cheaper, the better. Gone are the days of plentiful Eastern Bloc steel, having been replaced by the cheapest reman I can buy. Dirty? Who cares, as long as I'm not running a Kimber?

Unfortunately, the price of .45 acp of any variety which is now about twice that of 9mm. The 9mm gets all the practice/training time nowadays, since I'm shooting over a case each month.

· Registered
16,548 Posts
Wait.... We're supposed to clean these things? I figure a projectile being expelled under 36,000 PSI ought to clean any tumbleweeds out of the barrel, eh? :unsure:

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
5,946 Posts
My edc gets cleaned once a month, even if I don't shoot it that month.

Can't tell you how many "guns acting funny" I have had to fix that suffer from excessive accumulation of pocket lint...

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Usually a range trip of 50 rds or more I do clean the firearm. My 1911,
might not get torn apart like the Glock or CZs for 50 rds but it is wiped down and a bore snake run thru it.

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carry guns are field stripped, cleaned and lubed before they are carried again. I won't carry a gun that's been fired, whether it's 1 mag or 10 mags or 100 mags.

Guns not carried for SD can sit for months, be shot again and sit for many more months. The 1911 gun I used in matches would get cleaned every year 6K rds or thereabouts running 50K a year through it. Between cleaning, I squirted liberal amounts of oil on slide rails [ slide locked back ], barrel bushing to barrel, front of ejection port.

If I've shot the carry gun and don't have time to clean it before I want to carry it again, I carry something else. I field strip them every couple of months do qtip the dust bunnies out of the mag well, ejection port, etc

· Registered
7,741 Posts
I always clean a carry gun. I pretty much always clean my guns after shooting.

The one exception is the Beretta over/under. That gets shot almost weekly. I always wipe it down with an oiled cloth after a shoot.Most times I run a bore snake through the barrels twice. Follow by a lightly oiled patch. Nothing fancy with that gun.

· Registered
16,548 Posts
You guys either won't believe this or you'll be appalled. o_O 😁 💩

My new "EDC" serialized P80 build has 2,600 rounds through it... without ever being cleaned. I have lubricated it multiple times. But, I haven't cleaned it. Laziness aside, I figure this is part of the "reliability" test.

I WILL be cleaning it soon, as I think it's a "done deal" on the reliability. It hasn't missed a beat since the initial testing period with some failures to feed. Once I got that issue addressed, it's been like the proverbial sewing machine since.

@BeerHunter and @Caleb and @Anduril have seen it run (and have fired it). I believe I can say it's "good to go" and have the same confidence in it as I do my Gen 2 Glock 19.

· Registered
10,494 Posts
Carry guns are field stripped, cleaned and lubed before they are carried again. I won't carry a gun that's been fired, whether it's 1 mag or 10 mags or 100 mags.

Guns not carried for SD can sit for months, be shot again and sit for many more months. The 1911 gun I used in matches would get cleaned every year 6K rds or thereabouts running 50K a year through it. Between cleaning, I squirted liberal amounts of oil on slide rails [ slide locked back ], barrel bushing to barrel, front of ejection port.

If I've shot the carry gun and don't have time to clean it before I want to carry it again, I carry something else. I field strip them every couple of months do qtip the dust bunnies out of the mag well, ejection port, etc
Same here. 👍

· Administrator
32,659 Posts

Ditto! EDC guns are field stripped, cleaned, and lubed. Non-EDC guns can sit for a while until I have more time. 🤠

· Registered
9,536 Posts
I clean all guns that have been fired after a range trip and never carry a dirty gun , the only exception is a 22 pistol that I keep ready to deal with a on going battle with snakes trying to live under the slab on my screen porch. It's a curse that the old owners left me with . I know I don't realy need to do this but my grandfather's rules still live on today even though he has been gone a long time .

· Registered
8,674 Posts
Only one I clean after every session is my edc. All others get wiped down outside and put back. However dirty ammo makes the cleaning longer so it can be an issue sometimes. Instead of a quick 15-20 mins to clean a pistol there may be excess fouling or powder residue that lengthens it.
I kinda chuckle when I read those threads complaining about ‘dirty ammo’ because it seems to me that some of the posters never experienced the milsurp we used to get which was REALLY DIRTY! I’ve still got some Brazilian 7.62 I got in the 80s and yeah that stuff is simply gnarly.
This^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,548 Posts
I put another 150 rounds through my dirty gun today. :) Flawless!

2,750 now. 🥳

· Registered
16,548 Posts
BTW, my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor with the "Hannukah" barrel that never dies has 4,330 rounds through it. It seems to shoot better dirty.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Font Shotgun

A 300 yard target from a couple of weeks ago: 14 out of 20 rounds were X-ring. The rest (6) were just outside the X in the 10-ring. At this point, it has had 600 rounds through it since the last cleaning.
Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Technology

· Registered
21,713 Posts
We are supposed to clean our guns?...

All kidding aside...ran a dedicated g19 in idpa and range practice for several years without cleaning and until the recoil spring was so weak the rso would ask if it actually went into battery...the gun cycled so slowly you could watch the slide move...the experiment ended when the gun finally began to jam...it was good practice with unpredictability....I was shocked at how long it lasted...my carry gun was another g19 that was maintained...it is nice to know a gun's limitations and even more satisfying knowing they are extreme...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts