Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q - What is the expected life of a Kel-Tec firearm?
A - All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more. (Per the Kel-Tec website, under FAQ)
My new PF9 lasted about 150 of the 200 round break-in period, before it experienced numerous Failures to Extract, then the firing pin popped out. The PF9 has been back at the factory nearly 8 weeks for warranty repairs. Up it goes for sale when it comes back, along with my P3AT. I'll stick with my XD-S .45 for EDC. I've seen stress testing on the XD pistols that well exceeded 100,000 rounds. My Kahr pistols both have excellent quality as well, but are somewhat ammo brand finicky. Kel-Tec does serve a unique niche for making some of the smallest guns in their caliber, but I'm tired of keeping "disposa-guns" in my safe.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
if cost and visible manufacturing quality werent an indicator i guess you havent been paying attention...

although...anything manufactured can fail early in its life...it happenes...thats what warranties are for....i know that wouldnt help if you were in a self defense situation...but its a fact of life...

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
My buddy (LEO) carries a P3at as a b.u.g. At first he had a bunch of failures so, it went to back to KelTec. He has had not one single failure since getting it back from warranty, that was five years ago and going strong.

Personally, I don't have any experience with Keltec firearms so I won't say any negatives and only that (^^^) one possitive about their products. But, I have heard good things about their customer service.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My p-11 was barely passable. Picky about ammo and seemed to have a weak extractor. I got stove pipes and double feeds at least once a range session (of course, it was quite used when I bought it). My buddy's pf9 literally blew up. The barrel just shattered. Thankfully no one was hurt. I don't recall if it was +p or not. I've since sworn off keltec.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I own one. I have at least 1000 rounds thru it.
It has performed flawlessly with new production ammo, Federal, WWW, Blazer, Tula, etc..
The P+ was fine as well.
It did have some trouble feeding some reloads I was shooting thru it.
I knew what I was getting when I bought it, it happened to fit my budget at the time.
I still carry it from time to time but have moved a S&W to my EDC piece.

I researched the net for reviews prior to buying it & found more positive reports than negative.
I guess you have as much of a chance getting a lemon as you do a well functioning tool with anything.
So far, this is a satisfied customer. I do break it down after every session & inspect the critical parts for wear & fatigue.
After Mr. Smith's account, I'll be looking at the barrell with a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
"Reverse engineering led Keith to his famous aphorism: "Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick Two." Keith Bontrager, famous bike builder.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
My father had the P11 and P32 and both gave us no problems, the Llama did though...

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just disappointing having a new PF9 literally fall apart after 150 rds. Comparing it to my other 9MM pistols, I paid a couple hundred more for my Kahr CW9 (far superior, but a little ammo finicky) and my Springfield XD Sub Compact 9MM (also far superior - literally eats any ammo). The Kahr is compact enough for EDC and the XD Sub Compact such a joy to shoot at the range. I just don't think I can justify keeping the PF9, nor can I ever trust it 100%. It should be coming back from warranty service in the next 2 weeks (9 week avg service time, per Kel-Tec). Then I'll likely either sell or trade it.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
It's just disappointing having a new PF9 literally fall apart after 150 rds. Comparing it to my other 9MM pistols, I paid a couple hundred more for my Kahr CW9 (far superior, but a little ammo finicky) and my Springfield XD Sub Compact 9MM (also far superior - literally eats any ammo). The Kahr is compact enough for EDC and the XD Sub Compact such a joy to shoot at the range. I just don't think I can justify keeping the PF9, nor can I ever trust it 100%. It should be coming back from warranty service in the next 2 weeks (9 week avg service time, per Kel-Tec). Then I'll likely either sell or trade it.
Yep, put up with my PF9 for about a year, replaced bbl. (improved feed ramp) made all the usual reliability mods and it literally collapsed on me at about 1200 rounds on the second bbl. Catastrophic jam with a live round wedged in the bbl. with pieces of broken parts.

KT simply replaced everything and stamped my SN on a new frame. I sold it unfired after the refurbish with extras.

In fairness, it was reliable after the new bbl. for over 1000 rounds , NOT A RANGE GUN BUT NOT FOR ME. Love my XDSC and totally confident in it.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks MPDC66. Kel Tec is definitely not a range gun. I just love my XDSC for the range. Surprisingly, one of my best guns all around for the money.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I have about 1200 rnds thru my pf9, no problems. I had failed to extract when i first got it. Was my fault I accidentally used steel case ammo.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm all for supporting fla gun companies but FOR ME kel tec won't be one of them!

Fla CWFL holder
NRA member
Ruger LCP EDC

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
First of all, beware of a firearm manufacturer who gets all excited if their firearms will last "at least" 6000 rounds. A quality firearm should give you 5 times that, "at least", without a significant problem. Kel-Tecs are what they are.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was all over the PF9 as a great carry option, but for my money the extra 50 ish bucks it took to get a Kahr cw9 was money well spent.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm with ya, but had different experiences. My KT P3AT had issues, I took it back to the factory (close to home) and they made it right on the second trip. I will confess I had a heart to heart with myself about the pistol when I was at a neighborhood Wendy's 6 minutes before the armed robbery according to my receipt and the surveillance video.

I tried a PF9, it survived the break in without a glitch, but the little bugger kicked so hard I could hardly lift a glass of water for a couple days. Only issue was several failures to ignite Corbon ammo, which Corbon blamed on Kel Tec and Kel Tec blamed on Corbon.

I gave the PF9 to a 300 pound buddy who said it hurt his hand and still have the P3AT, although it lives in the safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had my p3at for about 4 years without a problem its my edc for work sense we have a walk in about once a month. but every where else i carry a xdm compact

1 - 20 of 34 Posts