Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent the night in the new motorhome the other night. My wife occasionally buys me a book from the discount rack. She gave me a book reputed to be a memoir of a Navy seal.

In the first chapter when he was describing what bad asses they were he wrote “we were carrying .40 caliber Glock model 17’s with 480 rounds each of special .40 cal Teflon coated hollow points that would go through a bullet proof vest”

I had to put it down. I couldn’t go any further.

Anybody have similar experiences?

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
We spent the night in the new motorhome the other night. My wife occasionally buys me a book from the discount rack. She gave me a book reputed to be a memoir of a Navy seal.

In the first chapter when he was describing what bad asses they were he wrote “we were carrying .40 caliber Glock model 17’s with 480 rounds each of special .40 cal Teflon coated hollow points that would go through a bullet proof vest”

I wouldn't read any further either. Who was the alleged SEAL?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
WTF?

I have run into those types of crap watching a movie or documentary....... you just gotta laugh.

My favorite is the slide rack sound on a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, the book is “warrior soul“ the memoir of a Navy seal by Chuck Pfarrer.

“This gear was considered our safety equipment. It included a .40 caliber Glock model 17 pistol, four magazines, a K bar knife, a mark 13 flare and an infrared strobe light”

Later he says “even on this practice mission, each man carried 480 rounds of .40 caliber Teflon coated hollow point ammunition. These rounds were specifically designed to pass through all known types of body armor, including our own”

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Saw an episode of "Elementary" the other day, which I generally like. But in this one they were able to tell, by digging a bullet out of a wall, that it was fired by a Glock 21. Uh. Yeah. Sure.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And in every police raid in the movies nobody has a round in the chamber in their shotgun. They always have to rack it at the door. Then you see them doing room checks with a 1911 with the hammer forward.

It’s like my wife and I watching lawyer movies. My specialty was trial work and the things you see in the movies are just absurd.

Then in police movies you see the officer knocking on the door and standing directly in the center of the door, that drives me crazy too.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I get annoyed watching movies when the actors pull out a Glock or other striker pistol and sound adds the stupid Cocking hammer click. :cautious:

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
That's weird.
My Glock-17 is chambered in 9mm.

The whole thing reminds me of a joke where a penguin goes into a bar and orders a..... nevermind.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

I am currently reading "Greyhound" (Movie Tie-in) by C.S. Forester.
Involves Atlantic convoy duty in WW-II. So far, so good.

And just finished "Hellcats of the Sea: Operation Barney and the Mission to the Sea of Japan" by Charles Lockwood.
.. both apparently better than this seal's memoirs.?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
WTF?

I have run into those types of crap watching a movie or documentary....... you just gotta laugh.

My favorite is the slide rack sound on a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my line of work, it's stock photos of models holding soldering irons... by holding the heater element!!

Another thing that bothers me, is commercials that show people playing chess, and the lower-right square from the player's perspective is Black, or the Queen is on her opposite color.
You would think the producers could hire a consultant? (Same with guns in movies, or sounds from laser-blasters in outer space.) The whole thing is ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
27,755 Posts
Brian, the book is “warrior soul“ the memoir of a Navy seal by Chuck Pfarrer.

“This gear was considered our safety equipment. It included a .40 caliber Glock model 17 pistol, four magazines, a K bar knife, a mark 13 flare and an infrared strobe light”

Later he says “even on this practice mission, each man carried 480 rounds of .40 caliber Teflon coated hollow point ammunition. These rounds were specifically designed to pass through all known types of body armor, including our own”
Oh brother that's so stupid and I'd have put that book down, too!

My mother-in-law was watching an episode of Chicago PD the other day and the Sgt Voyt character had his sidearm muzzle stuck in a bad guy's eye socket. Mrs BeerHunter laughed when I started critiquing the scene saying, that's some threat he's making because his Sig P226R was visibly out of battery, LOL (which BTW is why most semi-autos should never be used as "contact" weapons). If you look, you'll see so many firearms issues in cop shows. One of my favorites is an extremely poor grip with huge amounts of space between the web of the hand and the beavertail but still they never miss!🤣

I have the same problem with aviation scenes in movies. I'm not even a rotary-wing aviator but did you ever notice how every helicopter on TV or the movies sounds like a small single engine Bell JetRanger, even if the helo in the scene is a 70,000 lb USMC 3-engine Sikorski CH-53E heavy lift helicoper? However, I will say the Producers of M-A-S-H got the sounds right for the Korean War era Bell 47 MASH helos.(y)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

”Suspension of Disbelief” :ROFLMAO:

As stated already, my G17 is chambered in 9mm also but perhaps that’s a special “SEAL” version. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Like every war movie.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts