Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is considered concealed carry,a shirt over a holster, no imprint of a gun? I know some people consider conceal carry with just the butt of the gun showing, such as a IWB holster.I live in georgia and as you know we have open carry, so its not a issue, but I go to Florida alot, so I would like to know what is considered concealed carry.

thanks

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
My CCW instructor stressed to us that "concealed means concealed". I wear IWB with a shirt to cover. Sometimes I get a little printing but that's the most exposure I'm willing to give. The problem is that you don't want to be the guy that the police gets the "man with a gun call" about. You'll be face down in minutes before everything is sorted out. As free as Florida is about weapons there are still "sheeple" living here. Some LEO's might be cool about it and some might not but don't take a chance to find out.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
FL Statute 790.001 Definitions

...<snip>...

(2)
"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.​
(3)(a)
"Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.​

...<snip>...

However, "ordinary sight" is not defined.

-JT

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my opinion, "concealed" means covered. I try to avoid printing as well, but I don't believe that the statute requires it.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input,it would be great if florida lifted that ban on open carry,I've always believed in the saying " Out of sight, out of mind" but hey if my shirt came above and the holster was showing a little,whats the big deal.
I usually like the belt holster with a t-shirt over it and a sholder holster with a jacket on during the winter as ccw.And whats the law in Florida with carrying in bars, does that mean restaurants that serve 50% more food than alcohol?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
thanks for the input,it would be great if florida lifted that ban on open carry,I've always believed in the saying " Out of sight, out of mind" but hey if my shirt came above and the holster was showing a little,whats the big deal.
I usually like the belt holster with a t-shirt over it and a sholder holster with a jacket on during the winter as ccw.And whats the law in Florida with carrying in bars, does that mean restaurants that serve 50% more food than alcohol?
I would love to have open carry here in Florida. I would not open carry all the time but it would be nice to not have to worry about printing or a momentary lifting of my shirt. You can't carry in a bar but you can carry in an establishment that has a bar as long as your not in the section which has the bar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea in georgia we just got that hb89 bill passed july 1st, so we can finally carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol such as hooters, but it doesnt matter where you're at in there, you just cant be drinking alcohol at all.What about state & local parks in Florida it's ok to carry there right?I just want to double check with people that actually deals with these laws everyday.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Don't really care about open carry myself. I prefer to keep my ouchie tools hidden. For one, it doesn't advertise to bad guys. For another, it keeps stupid questions at bay.

If your shirt accidentally comes up or something, it's nothing to worry about. Accidental printing or exposure is not the same as 'brandishing'.

-JT

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't really care about open carry myself. I prefer to keep my ouchie tools hidden. For one, it doesn't advertise to bad guys. For another, it keeps stupid questions at bay.

If your shirt accidentally comes up or something, it's nothing to worry about. Accidental printing or exposure is not the same as 'brandishing'.

-JT

Tell then that in Palm Bay LOL as far as LEO are concerned in Palm Bay "Any Visible part of the hand gun is brandishing :pistols

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can see the actual gun, as in any part of it and have direct eye contact, thats not allowed. If you cant see it but can totally make out that its a gun right though your clothes, that's allowed... lmfao

Printing is legal.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm a believer in concealed means just that, concealed. I do my best but some printing shows occasionally and can't be helped. I don't really think anyone except a LEO or another CCW holder would ever notice. I have not been made that I know of. I'm not a fan of open carry. Been there, done that when I lived in Pennsylvania. It scared the hell out of a lot of people, you could see them staring at your weapon. To me it was out of place, not necessary and concealed works better for me. Freedom first, to each their own!

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the wrong person happens to make out that you have a a gun, even if it's totally concealed, don't expect reason and sanity to prevail.

Expect some loon to call 911 and swear they saw a crazed looking man with a gun. Then expect Law Enforcement to respond with deadly force to a crazed man, possibly on bath salts, with a gun on the loose.

We live in an age of hysterical morons. Just sayin.

Then again, if the cops arrive and you're on the floor face down with boots on your head and you tell them you have
a concealed "ouchie tool" permit, they might laugh hard enough to actually let you live.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Legal part is easy, to me concealed is YOU can't tell. Been to GA, 3 times this year, coming again in a few weeks, can't make myself open carry (yet)!!!

What is considered concealed carry,a shirt over a holster, no imprint of a gun? I know some people consider conceal carry with just the butt of the gun showing, such as a IWB holster.I live in georgia and as you know we have open carry, so its not a issue, but I go to Florida alot, so I would like to know what is considered concealed carry.

thanks

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Tell then that in Palm Bay LOL as far as LEO are concerned in Palm Bay "Any Visible part of the hand gun is brandishing :pistols
I wasn't aware Florida had a brandishing law.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Holy mackerel! This is a five year old thread!

·
Registered
15,294 Posts
Zombie thread

1 - 20 of 21 Posts