Florida Concealed Carry banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
as i experienced the same observation as krim...most of the failures i saw were when rushed to shoot (a bird past its pickup point) even an experienced pump shooter might miss the pump and pull a dead trigger with a spent round in the chamber...interestingly enough this would be a high adrenaline shot as youve missed your window...similarly...a defensive situation could produce this result...
This is why I’m taking this training…..muscle memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My apologies, as I should have been more clear with my question, as I was typing quickly.
Is there a preference of birdshot ( 1 - 9 ) or does it not matter?

Thanks again.
-Los
That’s not going to matter as you are more likely to run buckshot for self defense. The birdshot is just to get you through the course and fundamentals of shotgun defensive shooting. In reality, you should shoot what you plan on loading the gun with at home. But that’s going to leave a mark after 200+ rounds!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I would have to put a [email protected] ton of rounds down range with absolutely zero (0) malfunctions before trusting a semi auto shotgun for HD. Just my $0.02

Oddly enough, my HD weapon is a Glock.
I gave the Mossberg Shockwave to my brother, and replaced it with the TS-12.
Neither one ever sees HD-duty.

Reason: I work days, and a PITA to lockup a shotgun every day.
Whereas I can just put the Glock on my belt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used my Mossberg 500 for the Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun course with brownie back in 2014 and like your experience, my pump ran flawlessly.

krimgeo, what are the most common human induced malfunctions you see with a pump? Are most a result of short-stroking the pump action or something else?
Yes, short stroking because they’re trying to hurry too much. Hurrying for the #2 bird of a true pair…not much real pressure compared to defending yourself.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oddly enough, my HD weapon is a Glock.
I gave the Mossberg Shockwave to my brother, and replaced it with the TS-12.
Neither one ever sees HD-duty.

Reason: I work days, and a PITA to lockup a shotgun every day.
Whereas I can just put the Glock on my belt.
I’ve seen that Mossberg has released a new 590 that will reliable cycle the mini shells. It will basically double the capacity in the tube. For HD the minis are plenty enough FU, so it would be nice to have 16rds in the tube vs only 7 or 8.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Eureka......I found 120 rounds of 12 gauge rifled slugs..one thing I did not have.....getting pumped (no pun intended) about this class....if anyone needs some, send me PM....be glad to split it.....looks like we need at least 2 more......

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Eureka......I found 120 rounds of 12 gauge rifled slugs..one thing I did not have.....getting pumped (no pun intended) about this class....if anyone needs some, send me PM....be glad to split it.....looks like we need at least 2 more......
I can use 30 or so.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hey folks, this is 'edgehill's friend'.

I have 2 questions.
1) Do we need a sling?
2) Do we need a bandolier?

Thanks!
Both are useable neither are required.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes. It only let me order two boxes and shipping was calculated at almost twice the cost of the two boxes. Total equals $25.00 a box. (n) I didn’t get to the tax part and no I didn’t order any.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I ended up ordering from Firearms Depot for $10 per 25 and flat rate $23 shipping. We will see if the order arrives,

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I’ve seen that Mossberg has released a new 590 that will reliable cycle the mini shells. It will basically double the capacity in the tube. For HD the minis are plenty enough FU, so it would be nice to have 16rds in the tube vs only 7 or 8.

I saw that too.
The Mossberg 590-S Shockwave.
Might have to get me one.... :)

The mini-shell idea is probably not all it's cracked up to be, but I do sort of like the idea.
I did get that rubber insert for my original Shockwave, but never tried it out with the mini shells.
My brother basically got a "new" Shockwave -- I probably put less than 20 shells through it, total.
The 590 was a bit of an impulse buy for me at the time.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I saw that too.

The mini-shell idea is probably not all it's cracked up to be, but I do sort of like the idea.
I did get that rubber insert for my original Shockwave, but never tried it out with the mini shells.
My brother basically got a "new" Shockwave -- I probably put less than 20 shells through it, total.
I’m looking at the 18”-20” version with the extended tube. I prefer a shoulder stock on my shotguns.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I saw that too.

I have your deposit. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
PM sent yesterday.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts