Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Does your course cover how to rush and disarm someone with a shotgun?
It will teach you how not to do that and maybe not get shot.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
7,800 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question: What is an ideal shotgun for this class? I have an old school Mossberg 500 Persuader (pump) but I've been eyeing various semi-auto shottys that would be ideal for home defense.

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
Question: What is an ideal shotgun for this class? I have an old school Mossberg 500 Persuader (pump) but I've been eyeing various semi-auto shottys that would be ideal for home defense.
See posts #10 and bttbbob's answer in post #12. The Mossberg 500 is a decent shotgun my 36 year old 500 is likely what I'll be bringing to the course, as well. 🤠

·
Registered
13 Posts
See posts #10 and bttbbob's answer in post #12. The Mossberg 500 is a decent shotgun my 36 year old 500 is likely what I'll be bringing to the course, as well. 🤠
Same. Mine is about 32yrs old as well. I used to have a Spas 12 but sold it. Just not practical for home defense. Ridiculously heavy so I sold it when I was offered triple what I had paid for it.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I would have to put a [email protected] ton of rounds down range with absolutely zero (0) malfunctions before trusting a semi auto shotgun for HD. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would have to put a [email protected] ton of rounds down range with absolutely zero (0) malfunctions before trusting a semi auto shotgun for HD. Just my $0.02

I work at a shotgun range and see a lot more human induced malfunctions with pumps than Malfunctions with semi autos.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I work at a shotgun range and see a lot more human induced malfunctions with pumps than Malfunctions with semi autos.

As one who grew up on skeet and trap fields I agree with this observation wholeheartedly...

That being said...I brought a dependable as hell to date autoloader and my cheap maverick pump to brownies rifle and shotgun class and never got a round off in the auto due to a malfunction caused by a tiny chunk of carbon on the trigger bar...

The pump ran flawlessly all weekend and remains in it's prominent position directly across from the ar in the doorway of the safe...

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
30,664 Posts
As one who grew up on skeet and trap fields I agree with this observation wholeheartedly...

That being said...I brought a dependable as hell to date autoloader and my cheap maverick pump to brownies rifle and shotgun class and never got a round off in the auto due to a malfunction caused by a tiny chunk of carbon on the trigger bar...

The pump ran flawlessly all weekend and remains in it's prominent position directly across from the ar in the doorway of the safe...
I used my Mossberg 500 for the Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun course with brownie back in 2014 and like your experience, my pump ran flawlessly.

krimgeo, what are the most common human induced malfunctions you see with a pump? Are most a result of short-stroking the pump action or something else?

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

Yup

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I guess pump it is.
What about ammo? What would be the recommended shot for the class? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I've got the correct items with me.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So I guess pump it is.
What about ammo? What would be the recommended shot for the class? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I've got the correct items with me.
It is in the OP the shot and round count

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I used my Mossberg 500 for the Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun course with brownie back in 2014 and like your experience, my pump ran flawlessly.

krimgeo, what are the most common human induced malfunctions you see with a pump? Are most a result of short-stroking the pump action or something else?
as i experienced the same observation as krim...most of the failures i saw were when rushed to shoot (a bird past its pickup point) even an experienced pump shooter might miss the pump and pull a dead trigger with a spent round in the chamber...interestingly enough this would be a high adrenaline shot as youve missed your window...similarly...a defensive situation could produce this result...

41 - 60 of 90 Posts