·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I’m in for 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Pump is the most reliable, that’s what I’ll be runnin’ because that’s what my HD shotty is.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Maybe BeerHunter can put a list on the OP as I think we are close to ten students already.

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I’m excited about this one as I have been wanting to train with my HD shotgun and give it a good run to see what I need to change or not.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
So, I own a TS-12 semi-auto 12-ga that I have yet to shoot.
Should I get an optic for this? (And would one be helpful for this class?)

Not that I have a hole burning in my pocket or anything, but that Meprolight sure looks nice on top (at least from some of the photos I've seen online).

If you have one (or have your eye on one), I'm open to suggestions.
Leave it as-is, or get a sight for it?

At present, I don't really have a need or purpose for this weapon. (Eventually maybe a home-defense?)
It was more of a "my brother wants the Shockwave", and this was the replacement / upgrade.
How heavy is that thing? Remember, anything you put on it will add weight. Not that it’s a bad thing, just something to think about.

I have tried shotguns with red dots and honestly don’t care for it. I find myself focusing on the dot and not the target. A brass bead is all I need. Ymmv.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I would have to put a [email protected] ton of rounds down range with absolutely zero (0) malfunctions before trusting a semi auto shotgun for HD. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
as i experienced the same observation as krim...most of the failures i saw were when rushed to shoot (a bird past its pickup point) even an experienced pump shooter might miss the pump and pull a dead trigger with a spent round in the chamber...interestingly enough this would be a high adrenaline shot as youve missed your window...similarly...a defensive situation could produce this result...
This is why I’m taking this training…..muscle memory.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
My apologies, as I should have been more clear with my question, as I was typing quickly.
Is there a preference of birdshot ( 1 - 9 ) or does it not matter?

Thanks again.
-Los
That’s not going to matter as you are more likely to run buckshot for self defense. The birdshot is just to get you through the course and fundamentals of shotgun defensive shooting. In reality, you should shoot what you plan on loading the gun with at home. But that’s going to leave a mark after 200+ rounds!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Oddly enough, my HD weapon is a Glock.
I gave the Mossberg Shockwave to my brother, and replaced it with the TS-12.
Neither one ever sees HD-duty.

Reason: I work days, and a PITA to lockup a shotgun every day.
Whereas I can just put the Glock on my belt.
I’ve seen that Mossberg has released a new 590 that will reliable cycle the mini shells. It will basically double the capacity in the tube. For HD the minis are plenty enough FU, so it would be nice to have 16rds in the tube vs only 7 or 8.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Eureka......I found 120 rounds of 12 gauge rifled slugs..one thing I did not have.....getting pumped (no pun intended) about this class....if anyone needs some, send me PM....be glad to split it.....looks like we need at least 2 more......
I can use 30 or so.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Too good to be true?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I ended up ordering from Firearms Depot for $10 per 25 and flat rate $23 shipping. We will see if the order arrives,

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I saw that too.
The Mossberg 590-S Shockwave.
Might have to get me one.... :)

The mini-shell idea is probably not all it's cracked up to be, but I do sort of like the idea.
I did get that rubber insert for my original Shockwave, but never tried it out with the mini shells.
My brother basically got a "new" Shockwave -- I probably put less than 20 shells through it, total.
The 590 was a bit of an impulse buy for me at the time.
I’m looking at the 18”-20” version with the extended tube. I prefer a shoulder stock on my shotguns.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Put lisa down as a maybe, thanks.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
You need to borrow a shotgun, neighbor? I have an 870 with an 18 inch barrel in the safe
That has never even hit a broad side of a barn when fired. That’s why it’s in the safe.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I just threw up a little bit.

Reactions: Anduril
1 - 20 of 35 Posts