Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, hoping someone can point me in the proper direction.

My son has a Remington 20 gauge 870 express, smooth barrel with a modified choke.

To hunt deer, I think I need a regular cylinder choke to shoot rifled slugs. What other choke could I use with rifled shot?

Please advise.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I don’t know the answer but, subbed to find out from those who do. Great question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
When I hunt deer with a shotgun, I use a modified choke with buckshot.

If you’re going to shoot slugs, you’d be better off with a rifle. That is, unless you live in an area that only allows shotguns. We don’t have that problem down here. :grin

For slugs, I have no idea; maybe check the manufacturer’s website? :dunno

Edit: I think that folks shooting three-gun have to shoot some slugs. Maybe a search of three-gun sites would yield some info.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Cylinder or improved cylinder are great for slugs, I like full for 1#buck it has more pellets than 00 or 0buck good luck. The 1100 Rem is my favorite shotgun.

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Don't restrict the bore with chokes using slugs. A cylinder or improved cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.

·
Super Moderator
26,366 Posts
Don't restrict the bore with chokes using slugs. A cylinder or improved cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.
And the manual of any shotgun will say the same thing. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
don't restrict the bore with chokes using slugs. A cylinder or improved cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.
^^^ this. ^^^

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Modified chokes are fine for slugs & 3” don’t outperform 2 3/4” slugs either. Ain’t NO need to subject yourself to 3” !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts