Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally received confirmation that they cashed my money order over at the Department of Agriculture, so I decided it's time to do some holster shopping. Little did I realize how Long most of the better ones take to make!!

I had my heart set on a Dakota Defender for a Colt Series 70 Stainless Reproduction, but four months is a Long time away! Even if I do place the order, I'll certainly need something between now and then.

I've been considering the crossbreed supertuck, even though I'm not a big fan of kydex. They claim a turnaround time of about two weeks, is this accurate?

Are there any other Quality IWBs around with quick[ish] waiting periods?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I can't say enough good things about my Crossbreed Supertuck. Before I got canned, I had a 40+ mile drive to work, one-way, and the Supertuck is so comfortable, it didn't bother me in the least. The holster is extremely concealable and comfortable.

You can adjust height and cant, and the ability to make these adjustments can make it a bit hard to find the "sweet spot" right away, but once you do, it's very nice.

Depending on how many orders they have, it can take 3 - 4 weeks to get your holster, but if that's the case, they'll say so on their site. For a 1911, I imagine you'll easily get it within 2 weeks.

My EDC is stainless, so I'm not worried about wear from the kydex so much. For a blued gun, there may be a little holster wear, but it should be confined to a few places that rub against the kydex. With leather, it can possibly start wearing out the finish all over the gun, given time.

A distinct advantage of the kydex is the rigidity, allowing for easy one-handed holstering, as the mouth won't collapse.

I was lucky enough to know someone with a Supertuck, so I could try it out. Because of that, I was also lucky enough to not have to buy a load of holsters before finding one I liked. The Supertuck is the first holster I bought, and it's the only one I need. Once my job situation is squared away, I'll pick up one of his belts, too. And should I get another carry gun, its holster will come from Crossbreed.

Oh yeah, they also have excellent customer service and lifetime warranty.

-JT

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I believe that was an extremely cheap OWB paddle holster. The failure point there was probably the attachment between the holster and the weak plastic of the paddle.

The chances of that happening with a Supertuck are infinitely small. For one, it's IWB. For another, I would hope that anyone who carries concealed would have more than enough situational awareness to see someone lift their cover garment, grab their weapon, and then try to yank our their gun.

Any situation that would lead to what was displayed in that video would be major SHTF stuff anyway, because the only time the bad guy should know you have a concealed weapon is after you've drawn it and shown him a peek of the muzzle.

-JT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't see it till they hear it, right?

I agree.. and thanks for the additional info.. as it stands right now ill probably get the crossbreed. I was initially hesitant because I didn't want to make the mistake of getting a holster that was rough on my first handgun, and the Dakota Defender looked butter-soft, although I've since been told dirty leather can be harder on the firearm than Kydex.

That being said.. theres no way I can justify waiting four months for my first holster. Maybe after I get the crossbreed I'll consider it.. hopefully I'll like it so much I won't need the Dakota.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
A lot of folks order custom leather, and then buy a cheaper or more readily available holster to hold them over for the long wait. I've heard of people waiting a year or more from some makers.

Price-wise, you're probably going to spend about the same. But the delivery time is better with Crossbreed, as is the warranty.

Also, I'm pretty sure K&D doesn't make holsters for my gun, and at the time, Crossbreed was one of the very few makers that did.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
I believe that was an extremely cheap OWB paddle holster. The failure point there was probably the attachment between the holster and the weak plastic of the paddle.

The chances of that happening with a Supertuck are infinitely small. For one, it's IWB. For another, I would hope that anyone who carries concealed would have more than enough situational awareness to see someone lift their cover garment, grab their weapon, and then try to yank our their gun.

Any situation that would lead to what was displayed in that video would be major SHTF stuff anyway, because the only time the bad guy should know you have a concealed weapon is after you've drawn it and shown him a peek of the muzzle.

-JT
Yeah....that was an OLD styly FOBUS pos, er, I mean 'holster'.

If you're looking for a GOOD IWB rig for a great price/turn-around time, you might look at Little Bear Holsters (forum sponsor). He makes some very nice gear, and his current TaT is about two weeks (or a little more). Great guy to work with, and a Florida bidness, to boot.

http://www.littlebearholsters.com

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've heard good things about Little Bear and like that it's a FL business. However, I can only speak from experience with Crossbreed, and I like 'em a lot.

-JT

·
Registered
158 Posts
A lot of folks order custom leather, and then buy a cheaper or more readily available holster to hold them over for the long wait. I've heard of people waiting a year or more from some makers.

Price-wise, you're probably going to spend about the same. But the delivery time is better with Crossbreed, as is the warranty.

Also, I'm pretty sure K&D doesn't make holsters for my gun, and at the time, Crossbreed was one of the very few makers that did.

-JT
What gun were you wanting a holster for?

I know a lot of folks buy a readily available holster, like a Crossbreed, until they can receive their custom holster.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 on Little Bear Holsters
http://littlebearholsters.com/

just received mine yesterday- "Ordered my new Holster from Little Bear Holsters"
see my post with from yesterday with pics

Dave at little bear is a pleasure to work with

·
Registered
36 Posts
New First Holster

Unlike you I didn't plan. I ended up with my permit with no holster. I couldn't make up my mind with all the online selections. So I thought once the permit came in I would go down and buy one at the local gun shop. None of them had one for my gun. Ugh. I almost just bought a cheap nylon uncle mikes, but it didn't give me a good feeling about retention. I went back online and revisited High Noon Holsters. They are up around Tarpon Springs. A quick call to them ended in a 45 minute conversation about holsters. What a great guy. His website has some great articles the pros and cons of different rigs. I ended up ordering one of his in stock holsters and had it a day later from Tarpon to Tampa UPS. It's a great starter holster, fits like a glove and has a reverse j belt clip. Pay close attention to his argument against the standard clips. Having worn this one for a few days now it really makes sense. I can see how the holster would ride or lift out with the normal clip. I have no affiliation with these guys, just needed a quick simple IWB holster. I could of spent less but gladly paid the 34.00 for his great service and knowledge and I like keeping money in Florida. The holster is A-1. I can't wait to buy some of the nicer ones. Highly Recommended. :thumsup

·
Registered
578 Posts
Unlike you I didn't plan. I ended up with my permit with no holster. I couldn't make up my mind with all the online selections. So I thought once the permit came in I would go down and buy one at the local gun shop. None of them had one for my gun. Ugh. I almost just bought a cheap nylon uncle mikes, but it didn't give me a good feeling about retention. I went back online and revisited High Noon Holsters. They are up around Tarpon Springs. A quick call to them ended in a 45 minute conversation about holsters. What a great guy. His website has some great articles the pros and cons of different rigs. I ended up ordering one of his in stock holsters and had it a day later from Tarpon to Tampa UPS. It's a great starter holster, fits like a glove and has a reverse j belt clip. Pay close attention to his argument against the standard clips. Having worn this one for a few days now it really makes sense. I can see how the holster would ride or lift out with the normal clip. I have no affiliation with these guys, just needed a quick simple IWB holster. I could of spent less but gladly paid the 34.00 for his great service and knowledge and I like keeping money in Florida. The holster is A-1. I can't wait to buy some of the nicer ones. Highly Recommended. :thumsup
I recommend them also

·
Registered
181 Posts
4 months is nothing I waited 12 months (1 Year) for my M-12 Parma from Brigade GunLeather. IMOP they make the best holsters hands down.

Brigade GunLeather
33301 Osawatomie Rd
Osawatomie, KS 66064
Toll free 1-888-600-2377
www.brigadegunleather.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
The folks at Comp-Tac also make a variety of kydex or kydex/leather holsters that are in stock. They would be an excellent choice for something to carry in while waiting for your custom leather.

Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered a CrossBreed last friday and got it in the mail today.:dancingbanana At the time I ordered it the web sight said 2 weeks for delivery, but it only took a week.:D

Jeff

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sr9

Kevin is dead on. I ordered my SR9 dummy gun and have made less than 5 holsters for it. I have had the darn thing for over a year... I think I am still upside down in it. LOL.

I think a Crossbreed or a CompTac is a good second while waiting for a custom rig. I bought a CompTac to see what the talk was about and I wear it probably once a week, at least. I don't tuck it though, kinda defeats the purpose. LOL.

I know the wait for a custom rig is worth it. I am lucky to own a few from those I admire... in fact I have a rig on order with K & D. I thought the Thunderbird was the coolest thing since chunky peanut butter. Seriously... I think I am on week 18 but I know when I get it, it will be worth it. Kevin has been kind enough to share some knowledge and expertise, which has helped me greatly.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts