Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have read and re-read 790 statute, and I cannot for the life of me find the area that says if an 18 year old can purchase a handgun, or posses a hand gun.

I have read that they cannot apply for a concealed permit until they are 21.

I was under the impression that persons over 18 but under 21 can only purchase a long gun. and only persons 21 and over can purchase both handguns and long guns.

Am I under the wrong impression and that the only law is that they cannot get a conceal permit till 21 and can buy a gun at any age 18 and over..

Thanks
Sheepdog

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Well i was reading Mr.Gutmachers book and it says at the age of 18 she can legally pocess a firearm she can buy from a private owner and you being dad can buy one and give it to her as a gift nothing wrong wth that.hope this helps.she can not apply for a concealed license until shes 21.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yep, long guns, 18 and over. Handguns, 21 and older. The same for ammo. There is a catch with the .22lr ammo that sales clerks are supposed to verify that it is for a rifle but most probably will not. I personally will not carry a 22.

·
Registered
480 Posts
She can legally possess a handgun, and can purchase handguns from a private seller. Federal law prevents her from buying a handgun from a FFL dealer. You could also buy a handgun from a dealer and give it to her.

See 790.17 and 790.25

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

I see that the federal law prevents the purhcase of a handgun from a FFL which is why I could not find it in the state laws.

Thanks again, I knew I wasnt that air-headed :)

Peace

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You're her Dad.
Give her a gun.
One that will her hers.
One you will never touch again.
One you will never clean again.

AFS

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Thanks all,

I see that the federal law prevents the purhcase of a handgun from a FFL which is why I could not find it in the state laws.

Thanks again, I knew I wasnt that air-headed :)

Peace
The only way florida law prevents this (straw Purchase) i believe is what your reffering too correct me if im wrong is if she pays or gets someone to buy it for her,your her dad you can buy her a gun and give it to her as a gift.
next thing to do is go get her a gun. take care enjoy.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Be careful though...buying her one gun will start you down a slippery slope. First she'll want a .22, then a Glock 19, then she'll want an AK, ...

At least mine did. :laughing

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Be careful though...buying her one gun will start you down a slippery slope. First she'll want a .22, then a Glock 19, then she'll want an AK, ...

At least mine did. :laughing
Tell me about it. :laughing

At 15...

And a few years later...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts