Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post some pictures from my phone momentarily but wanted to give a short review of the pistol. I picked it up the other day and the reviews I’ve seen online are stellar. Dan Wesson, as many of you know, suggests a several hundred round break in period.

The fit and finish of the pistol is superb. Upon complete disassembly and cleaning I saw no evidence of machine marks. The slide to frame fit is close to Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. The pistol has a bushingless bull-barrel 4 inches long and an aluminum frame. The bobbed grip hides nicely for carry.

With 200 rounds, I had two failures to seat that I related to the magazine. They tapped in easily. One failure to lock back I related to another magazine. The surprising thing was the lack of recoil, it felt like a 9mm. I found it very accurate out to 25 yards. It stayed on target very easily and rapid fire was very simple with the short reset.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
That's a beauty. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Oh man, I e been wanting one of those for a looooooong time. Beautiful gun and congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what’s happening, Rick. Ordinarily I would agree with you but I was using a bunch of different magazines. When I would have a failure, I would slap in another magazine or two and they would work flawlessly. At least it will give me something to trade to Ed Brown.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
It looks like a great carry gun, nothing say's run away like a 45 to a BG.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know a lot of people poo-poo Froglube but, I treated the pistol in its initial cleaning. Upon teardown, all that dirty buildup from Fiocchi ammo didn’t stick after 200 rounds. It all just wiped off with a cloth. I also didn’t see any silver colored wear spots that I normally see. Eight round Wilson combat mags fit nicely and functioned perfectly.

I needed another 1911!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you this one shot better than my colt Wiley Clapp Commander. It may shoot better than the Wilson or Ed Brown or I may just be afraid of shooting them for fear I’ll get a scratch. As far as recoil management and follow up shots I would put it on par with the staccato P in 45. The staccato, of course carries 14 rounds and this one carries nine.

My hands are pretty beat up from my days of competitive weightlifting and from dirt bag punching before I knew better. I have arthritis but I can say that today I have no unusual hand or wrist pain that I normally do after firing a couple hundred rounds from a 1911.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
You need an intervention.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Very nice addition sir! Good luck with that one. +1 on the Frog Lube too. I did that to a few Glocks after a day of heavy sweat in a leather holster sat too long on the slide and left some “marks” :mad:

I think a “thin” coat is a good thing.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Not as long as it's 1911s you can never have too many, if it was luxury cars more than 2 is might be cause for concern. I feel the same way about old S&Ws and trucks.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like my restored 54 Chevy 3100 series or 68 Chevy short bed 4x4? I have that obsession too.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Sooo glad you do not live close to me, we like the same things. You are not a good influence on my pocket book.

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. I’m also a Dan Wesson fanboy. Here’s my VBOB I picked-up 4 years ago and a pic of my target after the first range session breaking her in at 21’. I don’t remember how may rounds that was. Those Dan Wesson’s are some sweet shooters

1 - 19 of 19 Posts