Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the members who took the rifle QK portion of the course in Florida years ago, how many practice occasionally with it in their back yard?

I've got a dove problem because the neighbor likes feeding them and there's upwards of 30 of them that will sit on my privacy wall and crap all over it, hiding in a big tree off my property that nearly overhangs the wall.

I've been getting a lot of practice on the red ryder this last month. Usually just go for body shots which has a few feathers flying off the bird but otherwise uninjured. 3 of them defied leaving after taking a body shot, flying away and circling right back. So I made head shots on those and they fell on the other side of the wall, dead right there.

I took the red ryder into the shop yesterday and set up a large cardboard box for the boss with a 1" circle placed with a sharpie pen. Explained how to use QK rilfe, his first shot was dead center on the dot on the box from 12 feet. Mind you no front sight on the bb gun. Boss looked at me and said "we need to get to the desert". Unfortunately, fire restrictions are in play for the summer, but come fall, he's got the bug to play with this with a 22lr. LOL

Super Moderator
For the members who took the rifle QK portion of the course in Florida years ago, how many practice occasionally with it in their back yard?

I've got a dove problem because the neighbor likes feeding them and there's upwards of 30 of them that will sit on my privacy wall and crap all over it, hiding in a big tree off my property that nearly overhangs the wall.

I've been getting a lot of practice on the red ryder this last month. Usually just go for body shots which has a few feathers flying off the bird but otherwise uninjured. 3 of them defied leaving after taking a body shot, flying away and circling right back. So I made head shots on those and they fell on the other side of the wall, dead right there.

I took the red ryder into the shop yesterday and set up a large cardboard box for the boss with a 1" circle placed with a sharpie pen. Explained how to use QK rilfe, his first shot was dead center on the dot on the box from 12 feet. Mind you no front sight on the bb gun. Boss looked at me and said "we need to get to the desert". Unfortunately, fire restrictions are in play for the summer, but come fall, he's got the bug to play with this with a 22lr. LOL
I go to the back yard once or twice a year to replay the memories of that epiphany realized within the first 15 min at that first 3-day Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun QK course when you had me hitting BBs with BBs and cutting blades of grass yards away. I haven't been the same since! 馃 (y)(y)

Registered

In other news.... Brownie's neighbor has a dead dove problem. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Haven鈥檛 done in a few months now but after the last pistol class and learning the skill I went to Dicks and bought a Red Ryder and was hitting dimes in the back yard easily. Fun stuff. Thank you for teaching us that skill. Much appreciated sir. (y)

Registered
Haven鈥檛 done in a few months now but after the last pistol class and learning the skill I went to Dicks and bought a Red Ryder and was hitting dimes in the back yard easily. Fun stuff. Thank you for teaching us that skill. Much appreciated sir. (y)
I remember y鈥檃ll messing around with that. 馃憤

Registered
For us its everyday practice, I shoot iguanas at our farm, as I keep 3 Crossman bb guns one for each tractor, iguanas eat our fruit off the trees.
The Grandson's come over every weekend for 3 days and now they have their own guns to practice with.
A BB gun keeps your senses sharpened...

Registered
mine is always handy and has taken several smaller iguanas right off the pool screen and my next door neighbors house...my wife gets a kick out of watching me bring it to my shoulder and pluck one off the screen with a parallel shot then take it right in the back of the head with another from a longer distance than i would have expected to do it from...i am kind of amazed by it myself...

Registered
My neighbor had a bird feeder & sprinkled feed as well. Doves all over 鈥 she moved 鈥..a Brest, piece of bacon, garlic powder, Everglades seasoning, butter & honey basting sauce, my grill, cold brew 馃槣 鈥.. looks like I鈥檒l be gettin a bird feeder. I never consider dead doves a problem!

Super Moderator
My neighbor had a bird feeder & sprinkled feed as well. Doves all over 鈥 she moved 鈥..a Brest, piece of bacon, garlic powder, Everglades seasoning, butter & honey basting sauce, my grill, cold brew 馃槣 鈥.. looks like I鈥檒l be gettin a bird feeder. I never consider dead doves a problem!
Yeah but doesn't it take like 72 of them to make single meal? 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine is always handy and has taken several smaller iguanas right off the pool screen and my next door neighbors house...my wife gets a kick out of watching me bring it to my shoulder and pluck one off the screen with a parallel shot then take it right in the back of the head with another from a longer distance than i would have expected to do it from...i am kind of amazed by it myself...
Once ya got it, ya got it. Once you trusted it, you elevated your skills level to shootist. :eek:

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Tom.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, don鈥檛 forget there鈥檚 a sandwich in every can too!! You just get as many as a pack of bacon has slices, use one slice per Brest & you can feed two people.
We had dove breasts for thanksgiving one year. Buddy was a big wing shooter and brought like 2 dozen for three of us. Dark meat which I like anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You always had it in, I just unlocked the door for you to step through. It was unlocked for me 41 years ago, just paying it forward to others. Really glad to hear you've retained the skill, trust it and it'll always be there.

Registered
Great point...we weren't taught skills in brownies classes...we were taught how to access skills we were born with...keeping that open mind I have found there is more inside us than we realize and our capabilities are greater than we might think...that whole "The mind is the limiting factor" thing...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts