Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here, ALL THREE credit card companies ARE going to start categorizing sales at gun shops!!!!!

It's NOT just guns but SALES AT GUN SHOPS, that's EVERYTHING they sell.

We are talking ammo, bullets, primers, mags, etc.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
It's here, ALL THREE credit card companies ARE going to start categorizing sales at gun shops!!!!!

It's NOT just guns but SALES AT GUN SHOPS, that's EVERYTHING they sell.

We are talking ammo, bullets, primers, mags, etc.
And other sporting goods sold by the store, regardless of whether or not they are directly "firearms related." You could buy a 24 gun safe for $2000.00 (or a duck hide building) and that would be reported as a firearm sale. If that store/merchant gets the firearm code, then all sales by that store/merchant will get tagged with it. Unless the store is able to implement multiple codes for different sales.

I do see where 100 HR Reps sent a letter to the president of Master Card, advising him of the consequences of ignoring their "fiduciary responsibilities" by doing this. We'll see what happens.

I'm good on my purchases for a while. I don't need to buy anything for another year or two.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Time to revert to using cash at the LGS whenever possible. Most shops prefer it as well.
I do 99% of my gun stuff purchases online. The LGSes generally don't carry the stuff I buy on a regular basis.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
Time to revert to using cash at the LGS whenever possible. Most shops prefer it as well.
Don't rely on cash for the long term, however. Because that's also being tracked by the Govt. Perhaps even more so than these MCC codes.

I'd expect very soon for the govt. to put in regulations that require the banks/financial institutions to notify them when someone withdraws a large amount of cash.Perhaps, $600.00 or more. The danger there is having LE show up and confiscating that cash as a matter of "Civil Asset Forfeiture" before you get to buy what you want to buy. Remember, cash has been, historically, more associated with criminal purchases than having firearm sales categorized. The govt. will be all over big cash sales. And, if you withdraw, say $100.00 a week until you accumulate what you need, that could be perceived as a illegal "payment structure," in order to circumvent the reporting.

It's getting really bad, now.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Don't rely on cash for the long term, however. Because that's also being tracked by the Govt. Perhaps even more so than these MCC codes.

I'd expect very soon for the govt. to put in regulations that require the banks/financial institutions to notify them when someone withdraws a large amount of cash.Perhaps, $600.00 or more. The danger there is having LE show up and confiscating that cash as a matter of "Civil Asset Forfeiture" before you get to buy what you want to buy. Remember, cash has been, historically, more associated with criminal purchases than having firearm sales categorized. The govt. will be all over big cash sales. And, if you withdraw, say $100.00 a week until you accumulate what you need, that could be perceived as a illegal "payment structure," in order to circumvent the reporting.

It's getting really bad, now.
That will just lead to the proliferation of an underground "under the table" cash system like in many other countries. Two sets of books, which is NORMAL in many countries, including many European countries. It will lead to lower tax revenues. Big mistake.

·
Registered
57,033 Posts
As in the other thread, there's just going to be a database created with nary any resources to research through all purchases which makes this new regulation basically impotent.
As FNJGTFO mentioned, ALL purchases, so lets say there's 1 million sales a day on c/c at sporting goods stores that have a firearm section [ in boats, motors, fishing reel/rods, clothing, boots, jackets, you get the idea ]. There are just under 3K a t f agents that are on the roads in the US.
If all 3K are dedicated to looking at transactions, that's 333 transactions per agent per day or 41 transactions per hour per agent. NEVER GONNA HAVE ANY TEETH TO THIS NEW REGULATION. It's impossible for that agency to look at every transaction.

·
Registered
57,033 Posts
I dunno, man. Maybe they'll borrow some of those 87,000 IRS agents.... :LOL:
87K divided over 10 years, or 8700 a year added, not all at once as some presume and got all up in arms over.

2800 armed street agents, add another 8700 agents to help them out. The numbers look more like this

86 transaction per agent per day or 10+ an hour or every 6 minutes per transaction. I know of NO federal employee who works anywhere near that hard day in and day out :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
87K divided over 10 years, or 8700 a year added, not all at once as some presume and got all up in arms over.

2800 armed street agents, add another 8700 agents to help them out. The numbers look more like this

86 transaction per agent per day or 10+ an hour or every 6 minutes per transaction. I know of NO federal employee who works anywhere near that hard day in and day out :ROFLMAO:
The reality is that they're not going to comb through ALL the transactions as a matter of routine. It's creating a database that will be searchable for when they want to gather info on a particular person.

That's my opinion, of course. Also, in reality... I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. All legal.

·
Registered
57,033 Posts
The reality is that they're not going to comb through ALL the transactions as a matter of routine. It's creating a database that will be searchable for when they want to gather info on a particular person.

That's my opinion, of course. Also, in reality... I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. All legal.
post 7, "there's just going to be a database created with nary any resources to research through all purchases which makes this new regulation basically impotent."

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
which makes this new regulation basically impotent."
Kinda like the "casper gun" ban. It's window dressing. Theatrics to mollify the muggles.

"We did something!"

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
If I understand it correctly, the whole purpose behind "merchant coding" is so that the various credit card companies can establish actuary tables for theft, loss and abuse.
For example, a company selling extended car warranties might be a higher risk for the credit card companies than one selling high-end steak knives.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
As long as the Soros owned democrat "CULT" with a Puppet as President, our freedom is in grave danger.
This is not only about guns, but about American industry and our economy.
Just take a look of what they accomplished in the two years of creepy Joe the Puppet and his laughing HYENA.
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
You wouldn’t think there is a database on a lot of things, nor people to browse through it, but you’re dreaming if you think we don’t have that already (and have had for a couple decades). How many times have you seen a prominent murder trial and the prosecution trots out a list of what books the suspect bought, which ones they checked out of the library, what web searches they typed in, where exactly their cell phone was at any given moment, every single bank transaction, and copies of receipts (with accompanying video) from stores they shopped in?

If authorities want info on you, they can get it easy enough. What I don’t believe they are doing is setting up some form of clearinghouse where they are sifting information in real time. It appears to be just another tool available for after-the-fact detective work, giving them a smaller pile to have to sift through to get the information they need. I imagine this latest move to code “gun” purchases might make it easier to go from financial records straight to a stack of firearm sales records making it easier to trace guns to owners… as if that was so hard to do already.

I used to use credit cards almost exclusively because it was easier to just pay them off when the bill showed up, but I stopped doing that because those companies sell your information and they aren’t very choosy about the veracity of the companies they sell to. Once I stopped using them except when I’m traveling, the amount of spam emails and snail mail “offers” went down dramatically. I take that to mean the lists these other merchants are after are lists of those who are currently making or recently made purchases.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Reactions: Rick McC.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts