Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legalities on carrying and the wearing of a mask? Masks are required some places/cities and my CCL is a privilege, so can I carry AND be masked......legally?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
When it comes to whether something is "legal," the real question is: Is it ILLEGAL?

Is there a law that PROHIBITS wearing a mask while carrying concealed? If not, then it's "legal."

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Ditto what Racer88 said. In the American system of jurisprudence the law doesn't make things legal. The law makes some things illegal and everything else is automatically legal. So is there something that leads you to believe that wearing a mask while otherwise lawfully armed would be illegal?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Beyond that, we are living in extraordinary times right now. The requirement to wear a mask is -- in every case that I'm aware of -- a result of "emergency powers." I really don't think it would be difficult for a half-decent attorney to argue that you were NOT wearing a mask for the purpose of concealing your identity, and therefore it should have no bearing on the legality of carrying a weapon.

Of course, I think this is clearly a case where "concealed means concealed" applies.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I agree, wear your mask. Some municipalities had or have ordinances on masks other than on Halloween, but I can’t see a LEO getting heartburn over protecting your life and others by complying with CDC.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
I agree, wear your mask. Some municipalities had or have ordinances on masks other than on Halloween, but I can’t see a LEO getting heartburn over protecting your life and others by complying with CDC.
There are also state laws concerning wearing a mask in public places but those laws only apply under the circumstances listed in F.S. 876.155, none of which generally apply to good guys with guns.

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
I don't wear a mask, so... :)
Wait, I've sen you in a mask before. . . 😉

Oh, you meant out it public! (y) :D

Don't get me started on the mask BS that sheeple seem to think of as some kind of force field that repels all contagions from the wearer! It's amazing that the whole mask thing started out as a way of protecting others in case YOU were infected; wear a mask IF you cannot stay six feet away from others, but then the sheeple started turning that into ALWAYS wearing a mask regardless of distance, even though that wasn't the actual "guideline."

Reactions: Starfist52

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditto what Racer88 said. In the American system of jurisprudence the law doesn't make things legal. The law makes some things illegal and everything else is automatically legal. So is there something that leads you to believe that wearing a mask while otherwise lawfully armed would be illegal?
Guy I know said a buddy of his (retired cop) told him that it was a felony. Didn't know if this was BS or not?

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Guy I know said a buddy of his (retired cop) told him that it was a felony. Didn't know if this was BS or not?
With all due respect to LEOs, they are the more often than not the worst sources on the law!

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Ha! I automatically DIScredit any "information" proffered by someone who knows someone who is a cop (a retired one, no less) that said, "_."

Show me the law. Until then, it's BS.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Yeah, it's B.S. Amusingly police officers are terrible sources for good legal advice. Said another way, police officers are good sources for terrible legal advice.

Even in the circumstances where wearing a mask in Florida is a crime, which generally do not apply to good guys with guns, it is only a misdemeanor.

Check out F.S. Chapter 876, specifically sections 876.11 through 876.21, and that will tell you all you need to know. When you read 876.11 through 876.15 you're going to be thinking things are illegal that aren't. You have to read 876.155 to find out the applicability of those sections.

Reactions: Marlinluvr

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
True and why I'm questioning. Don't feel I should lose the right to carry because I'm demanded to wear a mask!
I think you missed the point entirely. Unless there is a law saying something is unlawful, the action IS by definition lawful. Never rely on LEOs to be an authority on what is lawfull. They aren't experts on the law, despite the public perception that they are.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Just a general comment on masks; When we talked about no gun signs we said if you are not concealed the property owner has every right to exclude you. If the sign says no shoes,no shirt, no service......the same.
The identical logic applies to masks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts