Florida Concealed Carry banner

Concealed carry advice: HK P2000SK & Kahr PM9

11K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Titusvillain 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I just recently got my CWL though have yet to actually start carrying.

The gun I currently own is a Sig P225 (not P6), and while this is an amazing handgun I feel this is slightly large for CC.

So with a lot of thought I have narrowed the field down to (2) guns I am considering to purchase for two different reasons and was looking for some feedback if any one wants to join in.

The P2000SK, I am considering this gun due to its similarities in quality to the Sig, though in a smaller package, this is roughly 1.5" shorter in height and thats before changing the magazines base to a flat bass which should remove even more height, and 3/4" in length compared to my Sig P225.

I have read some very good things about this guns accuracy, reliability and more, plus it's an HK so the quality is definitely there.

For this gun I would carry in a MTAC Minotaur at 5 o'clock position.

Next up is the Kahr PM9, obviously there is a LOT of information about this gun and it is widely agreed this is a fantastic handgun, extremely easy to carry, comfortable, good quality and pretty accurate for such a small gun.

For this gun I plan to alternate pocket carry or IWB at 3 o'clock.

I am considering to buy them both and alternate depending on requirements.

I guess what I am after is a little feedback on these guns especially the P2000SK since it's larger, I am curious to see what people think about the HK for from a carry standpoint, I am already aware of its quality and reputation, but is this still a large carry gun or is this perfect since its in the middle and giving the best of both worlds.

Any general input, thoughts, stories etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance..

See less See more
#2 ·

I'll let folks who've got experience with either gun comment on their experience with the gun. I'm just looking at this as a "paper exercise".

To me, the key dimensions for concealability are height and width over length. I can always carry long IWB if necessary. I'm at ~1.2" width for my MP40c and it is a bit of a chunky monkey.

You also need to think about whether greater concealability (e.g., pocket carry-ability, etc.) outweighs capacity -- this is entirely your choice and your comfort factor -- and can obviously be mitigated somewhat by carrying a spare mag.

The prices shown in my table are a quick check at dixiegunsandammo.com ... they're near me and (Broward County) and seem to have pretty good prices -- however, these are shown just for comparison.

I know there are also other choices out there -- sorry if that opens a can of worms.

Good luck on the quest -- I'm enjoying it vicariously. Please let us know where you wind up.

#3 ·
Hi Sig,

Thanks for the chart, thats pretty great being able to see all the specs infront of you at once, the one thing in my comparison between the Kahr and the HK about the height though is changing the baseplate from the extended pinky to the flat base which should but a good deal of height off.

To be honest I am almost considering buying them both since that would give me the option to pocket carry and also IWB carry depending on my needs.

I have decided though that my P225 is too big, I have thought o sell it since its in mint condition, but its no longer in production and I am not sure I am ready to part with it haha.

I have also shot a million times at Dixie as a friend of mine used to live right around the corner on dixie between commercial and oakland ;)

Thanks for the grid,

Cheers!

#4 ·
I hope you actually shot someplace else, since Dixie is just a store -- no range -- but nothing surprises me anymore :grin There's a couple of ranges not too far, though.

#5 ·
Hi Sig,

If were talking about the same place behind the Dixie BBQ between commercial and oakland on dixie, they used to be a shoowroom and range ;)

Its been 10 years since I have been there so things may have changed, but next time your there ask em about their range. Obviously it seems they no longer have the range haha.

Cheers!

#6 ·
They're on here as a sponsor so maybe Neil will chime in... I only recently learned about them but that's the place.

#8 ·
I've held and shot both. I carry the P2000sk with a v3 trigger as my EDC.

It came down to weight and size for me. They both shoot very well and I can put tight (for me) groups with either. I carry in a hybrid IWB similar to the Minotaur that Dave made for me, or more often in my Alessi shoulder holster.

However...if I were going to do it again, I'd get the P30. It's a little bigger, but not enough that concealment is much of an issue. I has a higher capacity. And it's a little better if you don't have big hands.

#9 · (Edited)
For me, width is the biggest factor in carrying. The slimmer the better. Second to that would be weight. Once you get to a certain place in a gun (which is different for everybody) you cross the line of comfort and really just start to leave the thing at home. Get the MOST comfortable of the two and you will be more likely to carry it. The thing a lot of people tend to get hung up on his, "Oh this gun is "snappy" or this gun has a bad trigger pull." Well these guns are deigned to be carried 99% of the time. And you hope you never have to actually use it. Most of them are not designed to be range guns and are pretty uncomfortable to shoot. But every other second of the day it is riding on your hip or in your pocket and you don't actually mind it being there... Well then that's a good carry gun.

#12 ·
For me, width is the biggest factor in carrying. The slimmer the better. Second to that would be weight. Once you get to a certain place in a gun (which is different for everybody) you cross the line of comfort and really just start to leave the thing at home. Get the MOST comfortable of the two and you will be more likely to carry it. The thing a lot of people tend to get hung up on his, "Oh this gun is "snappy" or this gun has a bad trigger pull." Well these guns are deigned to be carried 99% of the time. And you hope you never have to actually use it. Most of them are not designed to be range guns and are pretty uncomfortable to shoot. But every other second of the day it is riding on your hip or in your pocket and you don't actually mind it being there... Well then that's a good carry gun.

The best gun is the one that you will carry, and is dependable.

#10 ·
Hi have held both and know the size and feel of both,

As ford hand size I would say I have medium sized hands, my frame is not small, I feel as though I am of a larger frame and 5'11" in height.

I am still unsure of my method of carry, if I only wanted a pocket carry, then the PM9 would probably fit the bill, but I am still deciding, if I go with an IWB, that afford me the ability to slightly larger, giving me a bit more of an accurate platform and a potentially more accurate gun.

Now with that said, I have never shot either of these weapons, and I assume the HK is the better shooter of the two just on felt recoil alone, while PM9 gets great reviews, the fact is undeniable, its a small pocket carry made for edc and comfort, this is not supposed to be a fun shooter, its supposed to be a life saver.

Once I get my head around the whole IWB over Pocket carry dilemma I will have a better view of what will suit me best.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

#11 ·
Well then sir, get them both. I myself carry a Kahr CW45 IWB 95% of the time. For the few times I carry and my attire doesn't allow the Kahr or if I leave the house by myself I have an LCP in the front right pocket. That way the wife will at least have the larger caliber firearm at home with her. Then there are times if we are together and I feel the need I will carry both. The Kahr on my hip and the LCP in my rear left side pocket as a BUG. You're wallet won't like my answer but it seems like you will eventually end up with both guns anyways... :2thumsup

#13 ·
I have two guns I carry most, Springfield XDM9 (20 rounds on board) and the poor man's PM, CM9. I have started carrying the CM the most (just so easy). When I carry inside waist band I use the extended seven round magazines with two more seven round mags (oops factor). Pocket carry, six round mag. Recoil very soft for a small gun and it is very accurate. One of our Mod's, Scott, carries fun size cannons (as do a lot of old guys Here), but he's been carrying since all there were was heavy large guns. I think I like small light (thin) pistols right now. Of course if I thought I was going somewhere bad I'd carry a big gun.
SO, if your pocketbook is up to the task, get them both!
Enjoy the hunt, it's a lot of fun!
Franklin

#14 ·
A year and a half ago I went through the same thing but ended up buying over a dozen carry guns before I settled on the PM9 and SW 360PD for pocket carry and a Glock 23 for my belt. My PM9 is perhaps the most comfortable belt carried gun I own at 14 oz and flat. I can carry it OWB with no problem and no discomfort at all. The gun was designed from the top down for concealed carry and has one of the smoothests DA triggers you will come across. If I was limited to one carry gun it would be my PM9 because it works well for pocket and belt, good trigger and very accurate. The P2000SK at the time I was buying was more expensive than the PM9 and with the slide release is wider and heavier than the PM9. Great gun but great guns do not necessarily make comfotable carry guns.

#15 ·
Maybe I can help:

Started w/ the HK45c as my original EDC (Galco IWB Summer Comfort), but came to the realization that the slide on this MAGNIFICENT HANDGUN was just a bit to "long" for me. This was deduced by having difficulties when practicing my draw, felt like I was swinging the pistol, not pulling.

I struggled with the fact that I wanted to remain on the .45 platform and the firearm be HK, but in a smaller sized EDC. Wrestled with buying a Taurus PT145, looked at both Kahr PM/CW45, and the Bersa UC.45, but the research both led to "possibilities of weapon failure" due to magazine inferiority or 200 round break in?!? I WANTED TO REMAIN WITH A BRAND THAT WAS OUT THE BOX RELIABLE! So I looked at the HK P2000sk and found my new EDC.

I have a HK P2000sk .40 light LEM that I "can" pocket carry using a MIKA's pocket holster that I had custom made for it. During this set up, I use the flat base plates w/ the small 9 round mag. Option #2 is IWB w/ a High Noon Holster (Horsehide) w/ the P2000 12 round mag & X-grip.

I love this weapon! EATS ANYTHING, I REPEAT ANYTHING!!! Last Saturday, I ran 250 rounds thru her w/o a fart! The recoil is nil and it's a .40! It conceals superbly...trust me, you won't be sorry.

PM, PHP KMB, I, 32*

#16 ·
"...I love this weapon! EATS ANYTHING, I REPEAT ANYTHING!!! Last Saturday, I ran 250 rounds thru her w/o a fart! The recoil is nil and it's a .40! It conceals superbly...trust me, you won't be sorry..."

Probably one of the most interesting reviews/descriptions I've read in a while. :2thumsup :clap :laughing

#18 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it!

I think for now, I have decided that I will go with the P200SK V3 in 9mm.

I keep reading and have friends tell me to go .40, but I have been using a 9mm round since I was a teenager, so it just feels natural to me.

I have already ordered 2 base plates to swap the pinky extension for the flat ones, and I ordered a black MTAC Minotaur as well.

Now I just need to find a good deal on the gun ;)

I saw a TON of them at the west palm show 2 weeks ago, and will probably wait till the October show, but I am curious, I was in a store today, and asked them about their price, said I could find it for a bit less at the show, and was warned that just because they say its new or it looks new, you could end up with a real beater.

Could this possibly be true? and if so, should I stick to finding a reasonable price at a showroom?

Thanks!

#19 ·
I found mine on www.gunbroker.com, I searched for HK P2000sk and looked around. Found mine, a "BA" date coded (2010) back in March. Purchased it from a LEO, who stated he purchased it as a BUG to his P2000 duty gun. Pistol was NIB.

You get the caliber you feel most comfortable shooting. As for me (as stated in a previous post in this thread) and my .40, the recoil system on HK's significantly reduce recoil!! But I'm learning that recoil is a personal perspective that differs amongst shooters!!

PM, PHP KMB, I, 32*

#20 ·
You cannot go wrong with any of these choices but just keep in mind that there are many guns that are 100% reliable and feed anything even the $299 Keltec PF9 I once owned. It is not necessary to stretch one's budget to get a reliable gun. I know a few gun owners who pay dearly for bragging rights just so they can say they have this or that gun. If you like it and can easily afford it get it but if it is a financial burden get something just as reliable for less. Your money, your choice and I have been known to buy a thing or two just because I wanted to own it no matter what it cost or how practical it was for me. Always end up selling them for a loss though. :)

#21 ·
My carry guns are the PM-9 and Glock 19. Both have identical manual of arms which is why I chose this pairing.

I carry the PM-9 when I'm dressed in lightweight clothing for hot weather. I carry it in a leather Milt Spark Executive's Companion IWB holster at about 4-5 o'clock, behind my strong side hip. This holster tucks the exposed grip close to my body, which is great for hot, breezy days. (I use the Executive's Companion with my Glock 19 too. (I also use the same spare magazine carrier - Milt Sparks #17 - carried at about 9 o'clock.)) I'm able to quickly draw from virtually any position. I can sit with my back resting against a chairback and not even feel the pistol.

I fitted my magazines with a Pierce grip extension so my pinky finger can help with recoil. My defense ammo is Speer 9mm 124gr +P.

I've tried pocket carry with the PM-9 but it didn't work for me. It would shift in my pocket and compromise my ability to acquire a consistent grip. It was difficult to withdraw from my pocket on hot days when my hands were sweaty - the fabric adhered to the back of my hand and would practically trap my hand inside the pocket. It compromised my ability to draw when seated. I found it irritating to have that much weight and bulk in my pocket, rubbing against my sweaty thigh, especially when I walked. etc...

On hot days, when I carry my PM-9, I usually wear a tucked-in muscle-T with an untucked lightweight button up shirt (unbuttoned) as a concealment garment. I wear the muscle-T because I like to have a little fabric between me and the gun so my skin can breathe.

The PM-9 is an accurate pistol. Mine has been 100% reliable.

Good luck!

#22 ·
These firearms aren't really close in terms of comparison in my mind. Not speaking to quality, but to style. In my mind, the P200SK is a firearm you carry in a normal holster where as the PM9 is a pocket carry pistol. So the question becomes more about how you want to carry your firearm.

I first carried a P2000SK 9mm. I love it and it hasn't ever had much of a problem (I only say much because I swapped mag springs to solve a little glitch I had and now it runs perfectly). I carried this firearm for quite a while until I took a few training classes and decided I wanted to have a larger capacity, thus my upgrade to the Sig P226 Blackwater. With that being said, there are times I need to have a pocket pistol since attire simply doesn't allow for the Sig, and I intend on getting a PM9 to resolve this.

Both are outstanding firearms. I think you need to decide how you want to carry. Have you taken any training to give you a better idea of how you want to carry your firearm? You might consider taking a few courses if you have not, this probably will help you determine what you need more than a forum thread.

#23 ·
This is why the P30 will be my next EDC.

At 91,300 rounds, the P30 was running strong. Even after a chunk went missing from the frame, the gun had turned in well over five thousand rounds of accurate and reliable service. I carried it every day.

By 91,322 however, the pistol had suffered three stovepipe stoppages. In the course of those twenty-two rounds, the P30 — hot, broken, and abused — finally skipped a beat.
The weapon was cleaned 15 times during 42 week time period. I like the way it feels in my hand...I can fire it well (for me).

My P2000sk has fit the bill in that same fashion up until now...but if we didn't have money problems right now (in fact I'm about to put my XDm9 up for sale here), I'd already own the P30.

#24 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

Today I decided to pull the trigger "lol", and ordered fron CDNN a 2011 P2000SK V3 in 9mm. Got a great deal and really looking forward to getting it, I ordered an MTAC Minotaur to match and flat base plates for the mags.

I am still wanting a PM9 at some point but I decided to go with the P2000SK as my first EDC ;)

Cheers!

#27 ·
Great place to order it from, CDNN always has great prices and the guys there are pretty cool.

It took me probably 400-500 rounds to get the hang of the trigger on my HK V3 but at the end of the day I did NOT want a safety to snag and it was a great excuse to go shooting!

Ken

#25 ·
As I sit here in my closet sized home office typing a reply to your post, I am wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops holster with my 2000sk cradled in same.

The sk shoots great, but my humble suggestion is that you not get used to only shooting it single action at the range. You will need to learn how to squeeze off that all important double action first shot before it goes into SA where the trigger really gets sweet.

#26 ·
I completely agree about getting used to the DA pull, I have a bit of history with this setup as I own a Sig P225 which is double/single.

In any event, I picked up a pack of snap caps to run through some trigger training exercises so I may adjust and become both accurate and confident with this first shot.

My personal reasoning for the V3 was prompted by the history with shooting my Sig over the years, but also that I prefer the heavy trigger pull for the first shot when a round is chambered.

Cheers!

#28 · (Edited)
The PM9 is a bit pricey and the CM9 is essentially the same gun. Go to Kahrtalk.com and read some of the posts on the PM9/CM9 - especially the sticky's. You could get a great gun or a POS. There are lots of complaints about sticky magazines, nose dive FTF's. My PM9 is back at the factory to see if they can fix those problems. The slide is VERY stiff and you cannot slingshot the first round (according to the manual). On the other hand, my son has one that works just fine and has no problems. You pays your money and you takes your chances.... Just don't expect soemthing that runs like a Glock.

#29 ·
It appears once a PM9 is broken in that one can manually operate the slide to chamber the first cartridge in the magazine. This is my experience and seems to be the experience of other PM9 owners. I can "roll & rack" just as I do my Glock 19.

Sorry to hear you've encountered problems with your PM9.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.