Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Naaaaaaaa... Chainsaw bayonet! They're real! USA Today said so.
I totally forgot about those!

Seriously tho, I do like a Tacticool 1911 if done correctly. I prefer a non railed pistol over one with a rail, but Saiid’s Colt is begging for a light, red dot, and suppressor.

Let the flames begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,996 Posts

Seriously tho, I do like a Tacticool 1911 if done correctly. I prefer a non railed pistol over one with a rail, but Saiid’s Colt is begging for a light, red dot, and suppressor.

Let the flames begin.

Or some gold curb feelers!

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
That's a great idea, Racer.
But let's save time and just say we handed it over to Caleb, and the sights are "off". :p

I'm not a Colt, or a 1911 fan, but that sure looks sweet!!
Enjoy!!
What are you a Communist?

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
Great looking gun, one of the dumbist things I have ever heard was that Colt was cutting their custom shop in half in the bankruptcy before last. You have a prize winner there for sure, it will serve you well.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Let the flames begin.

I do have an FDE Surefire that actually matches it quite well. But I can neither confirm or deny how good it looks on it because they might make fun of me…..🥺

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I do have an FDE Surefire that actually matches it quite well. But I can neither confirm or deny how good it looks on it because they might make fun of me…..
I dare ya to post it.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

You seem to get some pretty good deals and some nice finds on occasion. Would you be interested in sharing with other members any strategies you use in finding the right item at the right price? I’m starting to like those 1911s.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I do have an FDE Surefire that actually matches it quite well. But I can neither confirm or deny how good it looks on it because they might make fun of me…..🥺
Post it, let the haters hate.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

You seem to get some pretty good deals and some nice finds on occasion. Would you be interested in sharing with other members any strategies you use in finding the right item at the right price? I’m starting to like those 1911s.
Many I have were ordered thru Wilson or Nighthawk and built as I wanted. Some I’ve gotten from the Addicts site. As you know the classifieds there can be downright dangerous. Surprised you haven’t snapped up the Staccatos there now.😎
For others like this one I have two strategies. Both involve LOTS of surfing gunbroker. A LOT of time flipping thru. I either am seeking a particular brand and just do a broad search or for a specific model. But I find quite often people don’t know what they have or even if they do they mislabel the auction title in such a way that it doesn’t come up in a search for most people.
Here let me give you a great example. In fact after the fact in this one I kinda wish I’d bought it myself. But anyway I was looking at a Sig 220 Match this seller had and then clicked ‘sellers other items’ just to see because as you can see he has a good assortment of stuff and is here in south Florida. So easy to drive to inspect in person. Anyhow. He had this 1911. I watched it literally for months with no real interest or money at the time. This is what you’d call a ‘Kongsberg Colt’. During WWII Norway wanted a new service pistol and adopted the 1911. However the govt wanted the design to be ‘theirs’ instead of somebody else’s. So Colt allowed them to simply modify the slide lock lever just a bit so it would seem like they did something. They made quite a few back then. A rare collectible these days. Now fast forward to 1988 and an enterprising employee of the Kongsberg factory convinced them to do a special run of 20 pistols. They actually used leftover parts they still had from WWII to make them.
This gun as you see was listed as NORWEIGIAN with no mention of Kongsberg in auction title. It laid hidden for months.

EVERY part as you see is numbered to the gun. Easy way to make sure it’s all original as they were back in WWII as well. Just looked like a dull rattle trap of some obscure 1911 I really had no knowledge on until after the fact. Sold for just over $2500. I shared it on the Colt forum just as a ‘why’s this thing sitting?’ query. A couple people pointed out the misspelled title which I missed because I was more focused on the pics. Anyway I figured $2500 was a bit steep for it. Turns out a member on the Colt forum recognized it for what it is, a truly rare 1 of only 20 run done in the 80s. Till then I thought it was a WWII gun. He bought it. Only after he got it did he share with us a similar gun that last hammered at Rock Island Auction……for $8500. 😳. Proper spelling and proper title and the gun would have gotten a ton more but he had it mislabeled and missed out. A little nugget. There are still deals to be had on gunbroker.
So when you’re seeking a particular model purposefully misspell the makers name or model or search variations of the model. Quite often you’ll find what you seek at a better price than most due to seller error on the title.
Example, instead of searching Beretta search Beratta or Bereta or Baretta. Instead of searching Sig P220 search Sig 220 or P 220 with a space. You’d be surprised how many people can’t spell maker or properly put correct model name in a simple auction. When they do that it won’t come up in a proper search and most won’t find it.

For the most part as with this Colt I got it just took constant searching to find one like this. To maintain the entire collectible package the outer cardboard box with serial numbered label is key. I really am surprised to see how many don’t have it. Yeah it’s just a box but for folks like me I’m not interested unless the package is complete. I paid fair price for it. On this particular combo there’s less than a 100 of them. It’ll only appreciate. Just saw one similar without box close at $3250. I paid much less for this on gunbroker by just being there at the right time. Seller had a ton of A+ feedback. Asked him a question about it. Called him and made the deal directly with him thru his store in Ohio instead of on gunbroker. He saved the fees and I saved something else.
Time time and more time just a surfin’ is what it took.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Thanks, excellent advice. The best thing I have done is to utilize a little self discipline. If I am bidding on something I come up with a price, make the bid and then walk. I look back later to see if I won.

Ultimately, I have found that it’s all just stuff, if you get too competitive you suffer. I’m not a drinker as a rule but I drink a Mike’s hard lemonade to calm down while bidding on a Hatteras boat years back. I was buzzed and banging on the keyboard like the Phantom of the opera as the bidding ended. After it ended I had no idea if I won or not. I did win, paid too much and found that I’ve been bidding against myself.

Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks, excellent advice. The best thing I have done is to utilize a little self discipline. If I am bidding on something I come up with a price, make the bid and then walk. I look back later to see if I won.

Ultimately, I have found that it’s all just stuff, if you get too competitive you suffer. I’m not a drinker as a rule but I drink a Mike’s hard lemonade to calm down while bidding on a Hatteras boat years back. I was buzzed and banging on the keyboard like the Phantom of the opera as the bidding ended. After it ended I had no idea if I won or not. I did win, paid too much and found that I’ve been bidding against myself.

Thanks again for the tips.
For sure gunbroker is the largest gun show on earth. You can literally find everything there. I do the same bid only once or twice my comfort number and that’s it. I win or don’t. There’ll be another one most likely.
Kinda wishing I’d done more research on the Kongsberg though. You can see it’s still nib and even has dried cosmoline on it from the 80s. Cleaned up that thing will look great and the price he got it at was a great pickup.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts