Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Thank you. I will. Although not conceal carry related, is anyone here involved with or has done the Appleseed Project? There seems to be a few classes in South Florida throughout the year. For me in the “West Florida Republic” (north of New Orleans) there are none. I have wanted to attend for a while to get the ball rolling on the Art of the Rifle.
I do not do basic rifle courses due to Appleseed. I recommend anyone coming to my advanced classes to go to Appleseed first. They can do it more cost effectively than I can. They are funded in full by NSSF. I cannot compete with their pricing.
They do a fantastic job of the basics. NObody does it better.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Thank you. I will. Although not conceal carry related, is anyone here involved with or has done the Appleseed Project? There seems to be a few classes in South Florida throughout the year. For me in the “West Florida Republic” (north of New Orleans) there are none. I have wanted to attend for a while to get the ball rolling on the Art of the Rifle.
Yes, I myself have attended two Appleseed events and another member and personal friend here (Caleb) has attended those two and at least one more. At the last course we attended in April 2019, he qualified for his Rifleman patch and I just missed it (pardon the pun). :confused: My AAR is here below Caleb's in his Appleseed AAR thread. I'll attend another one as soon as I'm able and hopefully qualify as a Rifleman this time. :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Awesome, what rifle and accessories are you using. I do not own a semiautomatic .22. I would be interested in the additional challange of using my father’s Marlin 39A with Skinner peep sight. At seven pounds I wonder if I can go all day. I know the Marlin can do it. In the back yard at 20 yards on a table with beanbag picture below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Awesome, what rifle and accessories are you using. I do not own a semiautomatic .22. I would be interested in the additional challange of using my father’s Marlin 39A with Skinner peep sight. At seven pounds I wonder if I can go all day. I know the Marlin can do it. In the back yard at 20 yards on a table with beanbag picture below.
I would think your Marlin 39A would work, although a semi-auto might be better. I believe both Caleb and I were using Ruger 10/22 rifles with iron sights, but next time, I may use my Glenfield Model 60 (later Marlin Model 60), again with iron sights, as that Glenfield is a real tac driver! At the particular range where this Appleseed was held (surprisingly fairly urban in Ft. Lauderdale area), I believe they only allow rimfire rifles and now Appleseed allows one to shoot rifles with optics. However, at my private club range when I was working in the DPRofMD through 2017, there were Appleseed events that allowed larger caliber rifles, but at that time I don't believe Appleseed allowed optics, only irons. Regardless of what's allowed, I wouldn't feel like I really qualified as a Rifleman unless I did it shooting iron sights! :unsure:

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I would think your Marlin 39A would work, although a semi-auto might be better. I believe both Caleb and I were using Ruger 10/22 rifles with iron sights, but next time, I may use my Glenfield Model 60 (later Marlin Model 60), again with iron sights, as that Glenfield is a real tac driver! At the particular range where this Appleseed was held (surprisingly fairly urban in Ft. Lauderdale area), I believe they only allow rimfire rifles and now Appleseed allows one to shoot rifles with optics. However, at my private club range when I was working in the DPRofMD through 2017, there were Appleseed events that allowed larger caliber rifles, but at that time I don't believe Appleseed allowed optics, only irons. Regardless of what's allowed, I wouldn't feel like I really qualified as a Rifleman unless I did it shooting iron sights! :unsure:
BH - You sound exactly like my Bro' in law . He refuses to shoot any scoped handgun or rifle . He shoots a lot by 'point of aim' . I have never heard of the Appleseed event and wish i knew more about it . ;)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
That Marlin 39A is a real golden collector piece . You are very fortunate to have two really nice rifles ! My Bro' in law has been looking for 1 forever it seems (y)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Another addition CoachBudd1 . Referencing your great shots into the bullseye pictured , reminds me Always ring your door bell First ! [ lol ] Great shooting (y)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts