Florida Concealed Carry banner

Close call last night! Need some advice

6K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  mortpes 
#1 · (Edited)
I have moved in with my grandmother who lives by herself and has two extra bedrooms, this way I can lower my overhead while I look for a home to buy. Last Saturday we had an attempted break in. My grandmother discovered this when she went to the back porch on Sunday morning. A chair was placed in front of the window as a step stool, the screen was removed and the frame of the window was slightly damaged due to the BGs using a crowbar or something to attempt to pry it open. The reason they were unable to gain entry and the alarm did not go off is that I custom cut some pieces of wood and placed them on the inside of the frame to prevent the window from opening up unless they are removed. I failed to file a police report, just because I have been so busy with work and school. I did place a sign on the window that says: “WARNING: WE DON’T CALL 911!!” and had a picture of a gun.

Fast forward to last night around midnight….

The alarm goes off and I run to check on my grandmother, she is ok, but on the way there I noticed on the alarm key pad that the zone that set off the alarm was the back window (the same one from the previous attempt). I make my way to the back of the house and the window is broken and open, the piece of wood from the frame was on the floor. This time the BGs broke the window, removed the wood and then opened it. I go out to secure the back porch and I saw to figures retreating. I did not fire, even though I know I had the right to because they were on my property. They did see me and my gun, so I hope they won’t be back. These guys were not armatures they had even cut my phone line this time around. I don’t understand why they would want to break in. I don’t have anything of great value in my home, and don’t BGs prefer to come in when no one is home? I just don’t understand the purpose.

Here is the problem: In a week I am going to be out of town for about 7 days for vacation. Canceling the vacation is not an option and I don’t have anyone that can stay with my grandmother. She is 78 and it would be a very bad idea to leave her a gun. What steps can I take to make sure she is safe?

Update: The cops were called last night and they made a full report including the previous attempt on Saturday night. I repaired the phone line myself and put up the hurricane shutters on that window before going to bed. The window will be repaired this afternoon.

Do you guys think the sign was a bad idea? If so why (not that I agree or disagree with you, I am not sure myself and would like some feedback.)?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sigh, I just don't know where to start. Since the only comments I would make would not answer your question I'll just keep quiet.

Okay, just one comment. Consult an attorney regarding your comments in the above post and your actions regarding the first attempt at a break-in.

#5 ·
...I go out to secure the back porch and I saw to figures retreating. I did not fire, even though I know I had the right to because they were on my property...
You need to seriously rethink/research that....

Canceling the vacation is not an option
Vacations are nice, but I'd cancel this one - unless you can bring Grandma along...

#6 ·
By placing that notice in the window you somewhat issued them a challenge or atleast this is probably how they see it.I personally would not have done that also now maybe have even put your grandmother at risk.so now you may have no choice either get someone to stay with your grandmother or cancel the trip,you definately don't want to leave her alone now.

#7 ·
Thanks

You guys are absolutely right. I have arranged for her to stay with her sister. This is going to be a pain because she is very stubborn and she has a love hate relationship with her sister, but her safety is more important.

Your opinion about the sign is starting to make a lot of sense to me. I did not have those intentions when I put it up. I just figured it would be a deterrent. (I thought wrong)

I also realize that I made the mistake of not having a SD attorney on retainer. In the case that things would have gotten nasty and I would have had to use lethal force, I would not have had a lawyer to call. I have a meeting this afternoon. I have no desire to be a hero or vigilante, I just want to be left alone and defend myself if I need to.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate your pointers. Its nice to have a group of experienced people to sound things off of.

#8 ·
You are in a tough spot. For some reason these Pieces Of Poop want into your house. I pray that something changes their minds before you are forced into a situation where you must defend yourself and your loved ones with deadly force.

I would take everything out of the house of sentimental value such as any jewelry given to grandma by grandpa etc.

Best of luck and lets hope the BGs ran into traffic and suffered some broken legs which will take them off the street for awhile.

#9 ·
While you all are both away, I would also see if you can get a neighbor to get your mail and any newspapers each day. Also leave a few lights on. This will make people think that at least someone is home regularly even though you both will be out of the house the entire time.

#11 ·
IF Grandma is going to continue living there, professional "burglar proofing" may be well worth the expense. Hurricane glass windows that require a diamond saw to breach and are in steel reinforced, embedded frames serve dual purpose of storm protection and burglar , almost, proofing. Also add lots of value to the house if you own and can get insurance discounts.

Early warning alarms in advance of them reaching the back window/door such as infrared tripped audible (loud) alarms can be effective but may cause problems if cats, etc. trip them often. Still, worth considering.

Your Grandma was targeted because SOMEBODY told SOMEBODY she is old, frail, alone AND may have embellished a story about jewels or stashed money or big TVs etc to sound big with the BGs, if the BGs themselves don't know her from shopping, health center , whatever.

Consult a security professional before their third attempt becomes the charm!

Incidentally, IF they saw your weapon and sign and STILL make attempts, take them seriously......VERY SERIOUSLY!
JMHO

#12 · (Edited)
I would even consider some cheap $5 timers. When I go on vacation, I have 3 that I plug lights into and put them on to come and an off at different times similar to our lighting patterns when we are home.

Anyone watching the house would notice different lights on in different rooms throughout the evening. Our neighbor also has a key and check son the house daily. I also start closing curtains and blinds in the evening a few days before we leave, so it appears more of a natural habit to anyone casing the place ahead of time, and therefore making it more difficult to peer through a window to see if anyone is inside.

as for
I did not fire, even though I know I had the right to because they were on my property.
You should read up on that. My understanding is that if they are retreating, you can not shoot.

Just thought of something else....
Beware if they try again in the same manner, as if they are determined, they may have taken note of you coming outside on to the porch and use the alarm and window to get you to open the door then ambush you.

#13 ·
if you have a light back there, maybe you would want to set up a motion sensor so the light comes on, ask your neighbors to be vigilant, should that light come on at any given time, ask them to call 911 to do a check. I'm glad you found an alternate place for your Grandmother while you're away, belongings can be replaced, lives cannot. I agree with the previous posts about the sign, taking it down is your best bet in my opinion. Timers in the house are not a bad idea either to kick off a light or lamp in a bedroom or something to make it appear as if the home is occupied. Has there been any reports of activity at other homes? I find it kind of odd they are targeting just your home, could they have cased the place out before thinking just a 'little old lady' lives there, thinking she would be no threat for them to take what they want? Has she recently answered the door for anyone looking to cut hedges, mow lawns, or do some sort of unsolicited house work? I think they have definitely done their homework.

#14 ·
I I did not fire, even though I know I had the right to because they were on my property.
Unless you like spending your vacation as a guest of the county or state, I would seriously rethink this.

#15 ·
You could screw these little guys in the window track to keep the window from being opened. I have some that I put in when we leave for vacation. They just screw in and do not allow the window to open.

#18 ·
The alarm goes off and I run to check on my grandmother, she is ok, but on the way there I noticed on the alarm key pad that the zone that set off the alarm was the back window (the same one from the previous attempt). I make my way to the back of the house and the window is broken and open, the piece of wood from the frame was on the floor. This time the BGs broke the window, removed the wood and then opened it. I go out to secure the back porch and I saw to figures retreating. I did not fire, even though I know I had the right to because they were on my property. They did see me and my gun, so I hope they won’t be back. These guys were not armatures they had even cut my phone line this time around. I don’t understand why they would want to break in. I don’t have anything of great value in my home, and don’t BGs prefer to come in when no one is home? I just don’t understand the purpose.
Israel,

You asked for feedback.

1. You don't have the right to shoot them when they are on your property. Whoever told you that needs a whuppin'. If you have your CWFL, you need to go and carefully re-read the statutes. Once they are no longer a threat (and they weren't since they were running away), you no longer have anything to defend yourself from.

2. They think that there is something worthwhile or they would not be doing this. They are serial rapists, or think you have drugs or cash or weapons they can steal. The "I have a Gun" sign in your window confirmed you have gun(s) at least.

Don't shoot unless you can see the whites of their eyes.
Get the window fixed.
Secure whatever valuables you have.

#19 ·
Thanks for telling me you have a weapon and now you have told a bunch of people that your not gonna be home. I realise lots of crooks have no brains but then again it's not to hard to figure Hmmm he had a gun lets look at some of the gun guy web sites and see if we were mentioned.... hey what do ya know sounds like our guy and he'll be out of town soon. It's a sorry reality but I knew a guy that posted that he was gonna be at his mothers funeral a couple years back and low and behold while the family was at the funeral someone broke in and stole all the Christmas stuff. Even if these guys aren't here I can pull up your old posts and see if you have ever said anything that gives away your location then I can look through the local paper for crimes fitting that description and there's your address. Be carefull what you put out here it's not just us reading this.

#21 ·
Is the alarm you have monitored? If it is and you only have a landline phone look into getting wireless backup to it. Then if the phone line is cut it will stilll send the alarm to the central station for dispatch. Better security for when your gone. Also if your not there and they try when she is alone it will get the police started to the home not that that is comforting but better than no response at all.
Enough said on whether to shoot or not! it's not!!
Now if they had turned around and came back at you with their breakin tools, all bets are off.:ak
Just my 2 cents worth.

#24 ·
Similar to entrapment but , more accurately, entombment!:D

Legally , however, might be termed, "Ambush"!:banghead2

#25 ·
Not entrapment because no one is making them come break in again. You have a right to be there, and if they're stupid enough to actually come back now and they don't have a right to be there...

#27 ·
I am aware of that but was being tongue in cheek (comment on legal system that, sometimes, seems weighted in favor of the miscreants.). The comment about "AMBUSH" should however be taken seriously, IMHO. Very hard to prove BUT a post about doing it would go a long way. Big difference between being prepared to defend your castle and laying in wait, prepared to eliminate the threat permanently as part of the pre planning.

While efficient and cost-effective for society, it might prove very costly for the person doing it IF pre planning was discovered with "elimination" rather than defending life and property was the aim.

JMHO, I have seen too many good , logical actions turned into crimes by liberal courts.

#28 ·
Happy to hear you and your Grandmother are okay. Be careful.

#29 ·
Repair the window. Stop with the signs. Add timers. Add motion/heat lights. Add zone defense, her bedroom could be a safe room with good locks, etc. . Add a cell phone to avoid the cut line problem. Pick up a shotgun for her. If she can cook she can use a shotgun. Watch that she does not shoot you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.