Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be so kind as to let the rest of us know your cleaning routine? Do you clean your gun after every range visit? Do you allow a few days after the range visit before you clean if you know you aren't going back for another visit any time soon? Do you clean right when you get home?

I'm generally fishing for info regarding the care and upkeep of your firearm. Obviously, this is not a question of *if* you should clean but *when*.

Thanks for sharing and educating the rest of us.

MamaBear, who is still being a good little bear and not growling at anyone even though she still doesn't have her license yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Hi MB! I will wipe the gun down quickly after finishing at the range and then clean it thoroughly when i return home.

I'm not sure if the cleaning process is more difficult if it's delayed, but being a bit of a clean freak, i would no sooner have a dirty, fouled weapon sitting around as I would have dirty dishes sitting in the sink. :D

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I clean the range guns at around 3,000 rounds whether they need it or not unless it's the glock trainers which have gone as far as 6,000 rds over several months because they can still run dirty all that time.

If my carry guns get shot [ usually they don't get much range time as I have duplicates of them as range guns ], they get cleaned before I carry them for SD on the street.

I'm not real anal about cleaning my guns all the time. If they look like they need it, they get it, otherwise they're just going to get dirty again the next time out. I've got a 1911 that needs to be cursory cleaned every 300 or so, another one that needs no attention for over 2500 rds regularly. I know their "puke point" as I always run most guns to failure to see how far they'll go and can be trusted.

I don't think you need to clean a range gun every time. I've got several sitting now that haven't been cleaned in months, and they'll be fine for not doing so when I do clean them up.

I've got uncles in Vt who are real good old boys that have never put a bore brush through any of their hunting firearms in 4 decades of shooting. One of them saw me cleaning my hunting rifle after a day in the field for the next day and scolded me for running a bore brush through that nice new rifle. Their guns have seen some hard use in the fields/woods for years and get wiped down and action just wiped out normally unless they've got some specific issue with one of them like it got rain/snow into the action.

I used to clean religiously, but haven't for years. It's like this--If it's on me on the streets, it's squeeky clean, lubed up and ready to serve. If it's not going to get carried I let em sit, it doesn't hurt them one bit to sit like that for months or years. I say years as one of my 1911's sat filthy for over 4 years and when I cleaned it, no one would have ever known I had let it go that long.

Brownie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi MB! I will wipe the gun down quickly after finishing at the range and then clean it thoroughly when i return home.

I'm not sure if the cleaning process is more difficult if it's delayed, but being a bit of a clean freak, i would no sooner have a dirty, fouled weapon sitting around as I would have dirty dishes sitting in the sink. :D
Yea its an old jar-head thing and habits are hard to break LOL , Na I do mine the same way and I did pick it up from the range and did the same in country - wiped down till we got back to biv to clean :drinks

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Mamabear,

I was raised by a father that insisted anytime you touched his gun you cleaned it. I am still that way today except for the fact that I carry daily. Now, I wipe it down at least weekly (my primary carry pistol) and I field strip and clean them everytime I fire them. I spend as much time cleaning as I do shooting. I've got a friend, who the last time I saw his pistols, had so much buildup on them he was embarassed a little and so he wiped it down a little. He has a Sig as his primary and a Glock as his back up. He said he was running an experiment, much the same as some of the other folks here. I'm a little to anal to not clean after I fire. I guess that's what made me become a chemist. Besides, there's nothing really sweeter than the smell of a little Hoppe's. I tried to get my wife to put a dab of it on her but that didn't last long. :laughing I guess the gist of it is a personal thing. How comfortable to you feel?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Perhaps I'm "anal" in this regard, too. :)

My rifles and shotguns I clean about once-a-month, if I'm not using them for hunting, and they're just sitting there in their cases. My carry weapons (or rather, the one I'm carrying at the time) I clean every other day. Full field-strip, scrub, clean, and oil. After you do it enough, it only takes about 15 minutes or less. And I enjoy doing it.

After shooting at the range, I clean as soon as I'm done shooting. I let the next guy or gal waiting have my area, put on my ear-protectors, and clean my gun while I watch them shoot. (I only do this for my carry weapon. The others I do later at home. Same day, though.)

-Wraith

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
My carry weapons (or rather, the one I'm carrying at the time) I clean every other day.

Yup, that's anal:eek:

Perhaps a little OCD going on as well:thumsup

Brownie

·
Registered
95 Posts
My carry weapons (or rather, the one I'm carrying at the time) I clean every other day.

Yup, that's anal:eek:

Perhaps a little OCD going on as well:thumsup

Brownie
I switch my carry weapons every week. (The two .45's I carry) I do the Auto for a week, then the Para for a week. So to keep the 'holster wear' down on the finish of both.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I'm just used to it.

Back in the day, (in the Military), if you LOOKED at your M-16 wrong, it would jam. And that was the a2 version.

So I just keep cleaning. Oiling. Religiously. Anally. :drinks

-Wraith

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Ahhhhhh, m16 Syndrome, now I understand the OCD:rolf

We affectionately called them BBC's

That's an acronym for "Bang Bang Click's:rolf

Brownie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you "in" now?

I'd heard the M-4 was watching the British Broadcasting Corp. :laughing

Truth be told, for reliability of continuous fire, (while not all that accurate), give me an AK-74 or an AKM.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

-Wraith

·
Registered
974 Posts
Would you be so kind as to let the rest of us know your cleaning routine? Do you clean your gun after every range visit? Do you allow a few days after the range visit before you clean if you know you aren't going back for another visit any time soon? Do you clean right when you get home?
I clean it as soon as I get home.

I heard it
A) helps to keep the trigger from breaking
B) gets you your license sooner

(whistling while strolling off the stage)

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I clean it as soon as I get home.

I heard it
A) helps to keep the trigger from breaking
B) gets you your permit sooner

(whistling while strolling off the stage)
Why you rotten little bugger!

MamaBear, flexing her claws

ps - If you are going to take the time to sass with me then get your facts straight - it is a LICENSE not a permit.

So there.

:D

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
MammaBear,

You never told us what you do or when you clean your pistol or what with (solvents, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no easy or short answer with me. I purchased my .38 and had it for about a month or so before I got the LCP. As soon as I got back from the range I cleaned it up real good.

Here is where it gets complicated. If you've ever been exposed to something that you are unfamiliar with then you begin educating yourself by asking questions. Well, as with most topics there are "experts" in every field and every one of those experts will tell you something different but sound as convincing as though their way should be in stone. As many people as I would ask about cleaning guns (at two different ranges) that is how many different opinions I got. Do this - no, don't do that - do this instead. Use this product - no, don't use that product or you'll ruin your gun. Run 200 bullets through it before you clean it - no, clean it after every use. I've never actually seen anyone clean a gun so I've just winged it and tried to make the thing shine. I use Hoppes and some wire brush to clean the barrel then used this pre-treated cloth that cleaned it up real good but was dry the next time I needed to use it so I was back at square one. I don't like those little square thingies that come with the cleaning kit because I don't know what to do with them or how to use them. If you put them on a brush then it shreds it and then you have to pick out stuff off of the brush, yes, I did that. Then there is this plastic thingie that I don't know how to attach it to anything but they come in different sizes.

As it is the internet is not that helpful because I would need a visual step by step for my specific guns and haven't found that yet. I guess I kind of just spend too much time trying to use the stuff in my little kit and try to make the gun as clean as possible. I'm still not sure about the oil stuff.

I'm not a complete idiot but I have to say this has not been easy because I don't know anyone who shoots who would let me watch them clean their gun after shooting. I'm assuming I could go down to the range/gun shop and someone will walk me through it but I haven't done that yet because I don't want to look like a stupid, incompetent female.

Right now my .38 is sitting uncleaned in the safe. It's been a week or so since I've been to the range. I was hacked off about my LCP trigger breaking that I sent it back to Ruger without cleaning it first. I'm hoping they will clean it up for me before they send it back.

I suppose you could say I'm attending the school of hard knocks and will have a degree in gun cleaning before it is over with.

MamaBear

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You've had it rough. I figured I would give you a smile.
Awww, you were trying to be funny and I took a swipe at you. Yes, I did laugh at your post while I was flexing the claws.

I don't know that I've had it as rough as some waiting on their licenses but I'm doing a pretty good job of making everyone feel sorry for me.

MamaBear, whose favorite Latin motto is:

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. - Ovid
Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts