Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not Weapons of Mass Destruction. We are talking about OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), also known as "Pepper-Spray".

Chemical weapons such as pepper-spray are an excellent alternative to more lethal self-defense tools, and should be included in your "Tool Box" of self-defense alternatives. They come in a canister of some sort and have a few ounces of active agent. Providing the chemical weapon you select does not exceed two ounces of active ingredient, you are free to carry this open or concealed. A License to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm is not needed. The propellant chemical is not considered an active ingredient.

http://blogs.naplesnews.com/florida-law/2011/05/chemical-weapons-an-excellent-companion-1.html

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
+1 Buckley ... I have a clip-on OC I keep on my weak side so I have an additional option if the situation warrants

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great read Buckley, What is a really good spray option, so many say the kimber but really it is 4 times the price of most of its competitors and looks like a bright red squirt gun not exactly subtle?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Pepper spray is an excellent option for wife and daughters who refuse to carry a firearm. The one I gave my wife is the Kimber Pepper Blaster II.

It's an excellent unit with great ergonomics; it even has sights. It has 2 shots that fire and 90 mi./h up to 13 feet of distance. The concentration of OC is one of the highest available.

I really like this unit so much I bought one for myself. I work at a school where I can't legally carry but I can carry pepper spray. This is my choice...

Sent from iPhone.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Question for you Mr. Buckley.

I am looking at 790.001(3)(b)

(b) "Tear gas gun" or "chemical weapon or device" means any weapon of such nature, except a device known as a "self-defense chemical spray." "Self-defense chemical spray" means a device carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical.

I'm curious about your statement concerning the amount of chemical the canister may contain. Chemical is a pretty broad term. Is there another statute or case law that supports you statement that only the active ingredient is limited to two oz and not the chemical propellant.

I'm certainly not challenging your statement, but I always like to read it for myself.

My Fox Labs spray says Net Weight 4 oz and 2% OC. One of the reasons I like it is that it meets TSA requirements. Hypothetically, (no legal advise requested) Does it meet FS 790.001 for carry without a FLCWFL. I have a FLCWFL and have never given it much thought, but I would feel more comfortable if my girlfriend, who is not a licensee) could carry the full size canister.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
Only chemical weapon i would carry..

Swiss made by the way

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This should be standard EDC for all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Guttmacher's book points out the 1997 and 2006 amendments the legislature made that now allows citizens to carry, openly or concealed, a "self defense chemical spray" as well as "any non-lethal electric weapon or device", without having a CWFL. However, he also says a CWFL holder may not take a concealed weapon into any place prohibited by F.S. 790.06(12). The most troublesome issue is related to "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose". It seems a non-licensed citizen can carry pepper spray in a bar openly or concealed, but someone with a CWFL may be in violation for doing the same thing. Is this correct?

·
Registered
994 Posts
You want a chemical option go for it. I don't want an SD weapon that has such a limited range, doesn''t work on everybody and can wind up incapacitating the sprayer if the wind happens to be blowing in the wrong direction. I'll take a firearm for reasonable distances and a knife or my hands and feet for up close and personal. That being said its better then nothing.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Thank's Buckley I have been meaning to buy some but keep forgeting it could save on court costs and show you used every option before deadly force

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I bought the Kimber Pepper Blaster a month ago or so.

I think they are a great option for less lethal situtations. I know I wouldn't want to catch a face full of that stuff.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Question for you Mr. Buckley.

I am looking at 790.001(3)(b)

(b) "Tear gas gun" or "chemical weapon or device" means any weapon of such nature, except a device known as a "self-defense chemical spray." "Self-defense chemical spray" means a device carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical.

I'm curious about your statement concerning the amount of chemical the canister may contain. Chemical is a pretty broad term. Is there another statute or case law that supports you statement that only the active ingredient is limited to two oz and not the chemical propellant.

I'm certainly not challenging your statement, but I always like to read it for myself.

My Fox Labs spray says Net Weight 4 oz and 2% OC. One of the reasons I like it is that it meets TSA requirements. Hypothetically, (no legal advise requested) Does it meet FS 790.001 for carry without a FLCWFL. I have a FLCWFL and have never given it much thought, but I would feel more comfortable if my girlfriend, who is not a licensee) could carry the full size canister.

Thanks in advance.
Bumb for Patrick

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
I carry a hot pink canister of Sabre Red pepper spray. It cost $10. I got pink so I could find it in my purse which has a black lining. When I am at a friend's house I do put my keys in my purse. It's only when I'm out that I keep it in my hands. Mine is on a key chain. It can be separated from the keys if need be.

I keep mine in my hands at all times. When I enter a store I do not put my keys in my purse. They stay in my hand which means I have immediate access to my pepper spray if needed. It is in my free hand when I pump gas at the station.

I do have a question. Since this not treated as a weapon is there an age minimum to begin carrying pepper spray? My kids are very responsible. They each have a canister they keep in their rooms. When they go on their bikes or walking pets they are required to carry their spray with them. They have apparently heeded my warning not to test this to see how it feels.

·
Registered
386 Posts
TitleIIToyLover, I too have been curious about the 2% chemical stipulation and have had some difficulty finding information that clarifies sufficiently. Fox Labs stuff seems widely recommended and, while their website says, "In 1998, we became the first and only company offering a true 5.3 million SHU resin in a 2% solution.", their individual product listings don't give specifics.

I did run across a website that does state percentages on each of Fox Labs various sprays: http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/fox-labs-pepper-spray.html and they say "Pepper spray is rated in two ways: OC% and SHU rating. The % you see listed on the package (10%, 15%, etc.) explains how much OC is in the container relative to the other ingredients (propellant, dyes, etc.). However, this percentage cannot always be used to compare the "hotness" of different pepper sprays. The hotness of OC is directly related to the amount of capsaicin in OC, which varies significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The amount of capsaicin in OC is rated in Scoville Heat Units (SHU). To compare the hotness of two different pepper sprays, SHU rating is more important. The more capsaicin content the OC has, the hotter & more effective the spray will be. Two million SHU will be sufficient". It appears the 2% OC rating is consistent regardless of the size can (i.e., 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz, etc.).

Fox Labs touts their 5.3 million SHU strength and a lot of LE agencies use it.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I carry a 2-oz Fox Labs cannister in my weakside front pocket. I like having something I can use when lethal force is not justified or needed. A force continuum, of sorts, rather than an all-or-nothing proposition.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
TitleIIToyLover, I too have been curious about the 2% chemical stipulation and have had some difficulty finding information that clarifies sufficiently. Fox Labs stuff seems widely recommended and, while their website says, "In 1998, we became the first and only company offering a true 5.3 million SHU resin in a 2% solution.", their individual product listings don't give specifics.

I did run across a website that does state percentages on each of Fox Labs various sprays: http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/fox-labs-pepper-spray.html and they say "Pepper spray is rated in two ways: OC% and SHU rating. The % you see listed on the package (10%, 15%, etc.) explains how much OC is in the container relative to the other ingredients (propellant, dyes, etc.). However, this percentage cannot always be used to compare the "hotness" of different pepper sprays. The hotness of OC is directly related to the amount of capsaicin in OC, which varies significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The amount of capsaicin in OC is rated in Scoville Heat Units (SHU). To compare the hotness of two different pepper sprays, SHU rating is more important. The more capsaicin content the OC has, the hotter & more effective the spray will be. Two million SHU will be sufficient". It appears the 2% OC rating is consistent regardless of the size can (i.e., 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz, etc.).

Fox Labs touts their 5.3 million SHU strength and a lot of LE agencies use it.
Yep, everything you say is correct, but does not address Mr. Buckley's analysis. Just me, I would feel more comfortable if I saw it in writing. Since I don't have an attorney client relationship with Patrick, I doubt he would make the trip to central Florida and stand beside me if push came to shove...I would rather know how to defend myself by knowing what statute or case law to point my council toward.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts