Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dare say I feel a kinship to the group here. We all have a common interest and similar experiences. Perhaps some may learn from my unnecessarily frugal mistakes.

I’m 67 now and have learned many things and still have many things to learn. One recent life lesson was not to give into the urge to buy cheap crap. Occasionally I buy things on eBay and I saw these pretty attractive $20 lasers. They mount on a rail and when they arrived they looked very sturdy and well-made and the laser is extremely bright and green.

Excited with my new purchase, mounted one on top of a Mossberg shockwave 20 gauge and walked out to the range to pattern the shotgun. From 15 yards, the laser lined up perfectly if I sighted along the top of the shotgun and it was very bright on the target. I fired one round that went right.

When I tried to adjust the laser I could find no green beam anywhere. I tap tap tapped, I changed the battery, all to no avail. Undeterred, I went back to the gun room and mounted the second cheapo laser. I figured it must’ve been a fluke that this one failed. After all, the seller advertise them for use with rifles and shotties.

Lather, rinse, repeat. The second laser also self-destructed on the first round!

As I stared into the garbage can at the twin lasers and rounded off the cheap screws on the cheap eBay Picatinny rail I mounted, I cursed myself and called Crimson trace.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Many of the cheap ones on ebay and Amazon are meant for bb-guns and airsoft guns. While laser diodes are pretty inexpensive, getting one in a mount tough enough to withstand the recoil of a firearm is another story, and that is why the cost of a "good" laser sight is so much higher. All the cost is in the parts surrounding the laser diode.

Personal rant here. While I think laser sights can be useful in the hands of an experienced shooter that understands their limitations, especially as you get older and have a hard time lining up on tiny sights. That said, I have seen too many new shooters get them and then get frustrated when they can't hit anything because they are "chasing the dot".

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Nice thread, Shark! I was taught at a young age that the only expensive tool is a cheap tool!

Agree with AGJuvat's reply, especially the second paragraph. (y)

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Let me be the first to say........Duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Been there done that....... I forget who told me this following statement but, it’s what I live by now.

“Buy once, Cry once”.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I’ll spend 100 K on a car and never blink but I do seem to have an affinity for the “ little bargains“ in life.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I know, I’ll spend 100 K on a car and never blink but I do seem to have an affinity for the “ little bargains“ in life.
Everyone is like that to a certain point. I’ll spend $$$$$$ on hobbies but, I’ll walk away from a pair of jeans if they are more than $20.

Realizing I don’t follow my own advice, lol.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Shotgun shooting.

I used to go somewhat regularly with a buddy to shoot a few rounds of Redneck Golf (sport clays and a golf lover cart). When o was chasing the front sight to hit the clay, I missed every time. My buddy grabs my shotgun and takes the front sight off my gun. “Keep your eyes (both) on the target and follow through. My average score was 94 of 100 broken clay birds.

My point is that for me I shoot a shotgun better with no sights (point shooting as you will). If I can hit a 4.25” moving target at up to 25yds, I should be able to hit at SD ranges.

You said the laser was for your aging eyes to assist. Have you tried shooting it with no sites at all but point shooting? If so what are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Shotgun shooting.

I used to go somewhat regularly with a buddy to shoot a few rounds of Redneck Golf (sport clays and a golf lover cart). When o was chasing the front sight to hit the clay, I missed every time. My buddy grabs my shotgun and takes the front sight off my gun. “Keep your eyes (both) on the target and follow through. My average score was 94 of 100 broken clay birds.

My point is that for me I shoot a shotgun better with no sights (point shooting as you will). If I can hit a 4.25” moving target at up to 25yds, I should be able to hit at SD ranges.

You said the laser was for your aging eyes to assist. Have you tried shooting it with no sites at all but point shooting? If so what are your thoughts on that?

That’s what I do, from about half way between the 3/4 hip and point-shoulder positions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts