Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im new to the form and just got my concealed permit and was wondering if your allowed to conceal carry while traveling in your car. My class instructor informed us that it had to be in a sealed container (glove box or center console) but ive read many instances of people having their gun on them when being pulled over and it hasn't been a big deal. I already realize that you dont have to inform the LEO if your carrying or not but just to be safe i was wondering whats legal + personal experiences if it really matters if its on you or in your glove box etc... or maybe my instructor was full of it or not up to date with the laws?

· Registered
4,866 Posts
mr.weaver,

There are to parts of Florida statutes that address your question. F.S 790.25 applies to those that do NOT have a license. F.S. 790.06 applies to those that do have a license. In some ways they overlap. Specifically 790.25 cites 790.06. 790.25 allows those WITHOUT a license to carry a firearm in their car if is "securely encased" as defined in F.S.790.001. If you have a license you can carry anywhere in your vehicle as long the gun is concealed as per 790.001.

I know your instructor probably used up a lot of class time walking through the paperwork and not enough time with the statutes. Thats OK, your better off just reading through them yourself. Google "Florida sunshine" the first hit will be the website with the statutes. Read 790.25 and 790.06 and if you have any questions there are lots of good people here to help. Also see 790.115 and 790.251 if your eyes are not crossed yet.

Welcome aboard!

· Registered
340 Posts
What your instructor told you applies only to those who do not have a Concealed Weapons or Firearms License, but are otherwise eligible to posses a concealable firearm.

If your instructor told you that that applies to those who hold a license, he is woefully unqualified to be such an instructor.

As for your responsibility, when you made your application for your Florida Concealed Weapons or Firearms License, you signed an affidavit stating that you received a copy of FS 790.06 and that you were knowledgeable of its provisions. The answer to your question is in your copy of 790.06. Please read it if you haven't already, and re-read it if you have.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well ive read most of the laws, i must have over looked that one..... as far as why my instructor would even go over the laws for non-concealed carry when we were in a concealed carry class is beyond me. So basically as long as its still concealed it shouldn't be an issue?

· Registered
2,690 Posts
mr.weaver,

There are to parts of Florida statutes that address your question. F.S 790.25 applies to those that do NOT have a license. F.S. 790.06 applies to those that do have a license. In some ways they overlap. Specifically 790.25 cites 790.06. 790.25 allows those WITHOUT a license to carry a firearm in their car if is "securely encased" as defined in F.S.790.001. If you have a license you can carry anywhere in your vehicle as long the gun is concealed as per 790.001.

I know your instructor probably used up a lot of class time walking through the paperwork and not enough time with the statutes. Thats OK, your better off just reading through them yourself. Google "Florida sunshine" the first hit will be the website with the statutes. Read 790.25 and 790.06 and if you have any questions there are lots of good people here to help. Also see 790.115 and 790.251 if your eyes are not crossed yet.

Welcome aboard!
+1
Except. . . forget reading 790.251. It is some of the worst written law I have ever seen! :banghead
Most of it was declared unconstitutional, except the part about employees with CWFLs.
Readers Digest version: Your employer cannot fire you, discipline you or otherwise hassle you if you keep a firearm locked in your can in their parking lot. They cannot search your car for a firearm, they cannot ask you about your license or firearm, etc.
There are some employers excluded so you may want to check those. The Florida AG is empowered to file actions on the employee's behalf if you get fired for having a firearm locked in your car on an employer's property.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
well ive read most of the laws, i must have over looked that one..... as far as why my instructor would even go over the laws for non-concealed carry when we were in a concealed carry class is beyond me. So basically as long as its still concealed it shouldn't be an issue?
Because CWFL holders have the option to keep their firearms in accordance with 790.25, just like every other adult in the state.
It is important to have options.
For example, the wife and I are out running errands. I have a CWFL, she does not. Have to pick up some paperwork at the (jail, police station, school, bar, Federal building, etc) She wants to wait in the car, so I drop my pistol in the center console and run inside. Wife is perfectly legal with a firearm in the car.

· Registered
4,866 Posts
+1 for what brboyer said plus although your license does not allow open carry IAW 790.06, F.S. 790.25 allows limited open carry under some very specific situations for example while fishing. We won't talk about open carry here. That can be discussed in the Open Carry forum.

Enjoy you new found freedoms! Be safe!

· Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Because CWFL holders have the option to keep their firearms in accordance with 790.25, just like every other adult in the state.
It is important to have options.
For example, the wife and I are out running errands. I have a CWFL, she does not. Have to pick up some paperwork at the (jail, police station, school, bar, Federal building, etc) She wants to wait in the car, so I drop my pistol in the center console and run inside. Wife is perfectly legal with a firearm in the car.
+2. Well said.

· Registered
688 Posts
Mr.Weaver, you can even go so far as having it on your seat next to you or in your lap and just putting a towel or shirt over it (not suggested) but as long as it is out of the average person's eyesight its considered concealed. :thumsup welcome to the forum.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
Mr.Weaver, you can even go so far as having it on your seat next to you or in your lap and just putting a towel or shirt over it (not suggested) but as long as it is out of the average person's eyesight its considered concealed. :thumsup welcome to the forum.
With a CWFL, only.

With or without a CWFL, you can take it to the ultimate in accessibility. Put it in a locking type holster (Serpa, Safairland, etc., or one with a snap) and attach it to the seat belt next to you, without the need to conceal it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.