Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the NRA has an online Pistol training course (8 hours) , which it claims will provide the certificate needed to use for the CCW permit application.
In addition, the FDAC states as long as the training is NRA certified etc. (among others of course), its enough to fulfill the requirements for approved training.

Is this actually the case? I thought Florida required Live Fire as part of any training course, to be considered acceptable for CCW permit application?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guy!
Ray

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
FL training does require live fire.

A DD214 will also work.

Check with your local gun store, they probably host classes, or know where one is.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
From the NRA Pistol Course webpage:

<<<The course may be used for you to obtain the certification for your concealed carry permit in some states. Be sure to contact your county, city, or state to find out whether this course fulfills the requirement. >>>

Florida requires live fire. That said, there are some "in home" courses and gun show courses, where the "live fire" consists of firing a single round into a sand-filled barrel / bullet trap. My recommendation is to NOT take one of those course. Take a real course... that includes RANGE time.

I could have skipped all of it and used my DD214, which indicated I earned the Expert Pistol Shot medal in the Navy. But, I took the course anyway. I'm always looking to learn something more, and it was worth taking the course (given at a local range).

Reactions: oldhunter1954

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
An online course, from the NRA or otherwise, does NOT satisfy the training requirement of f.s. 790.06(2)(h). However, there several other NRA, USCCA, etc. courses that one can sign up for and attend that provide actual hands on training involving live fire on a range that do satisfy the training requirement. As stated above, check with your local gun store as many hold regular courses of training that satisfy the requirements of f.s. 790.06(2)(h). 🤠

Reactions: bttbbob and racer88

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
I took mine at Shoot Straight several years ago and it was only a couple of hours with live fire. Didn’t cost much either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,974 Posts
The NRA pistol course also requires live fire. You have to attend a range day with a NRA Instructor.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
This question always makes me wonder how gun show ccw classes qualify.
I did mine at a gun show.
You do the classwork, fingerprints, photos, application, and sit through the insurance sales presentation.
THEN - you pick up and go to a nearby Shoot Straight range (or wherever) and fire one round for the instructor to witness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts