Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please let me know if its still ok to carry open while Archery hunting in the great state of Florida please.Thank you an God Bless America!!!:2thumsup

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Can anyone please let me know if its still ok to carry open while Archery hunting in the great state of Florida please.Thank you an God Bless America!!!:2thumsup
Welcome to FCC, Bowhunter7490! :wave

Someone with more knowledge of the subject will be along to answer your question. In the meantime, since this was your first post, now would be a good time to post you're own Introduction thread to FCC so others can welcome you, too! You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. You'll find that lots of other FCC members will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too!

You can also go right to the source for Florida Firearms Law by reading up on the Florida Statutes by using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Simple answer is yes

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 99% answer is YES! There is one exception that I KNOW of: I hunt on the Eglin Air Force Base reservation/range. This is federal land and they prohibit the carry of any firearm during the bow season. It's crazy since they let you rifle hunt as well during their rifle season, yet still prohibit a handgun during bow season on the land. But it's federal land and the FL law does not supersede them!

Statute 790.25

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(a) Members of the Militia, National Guard, Florida State Defense Force, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, organized reserves, and other armed forces of the state and of the United States, when on duty, when training or preparing themselves for military duty, or while subject to recall or mobilization;
(b) Citizens of this state subject to duty in the Armed Forces under s. 2, Art. X of the State Constitution, under chapters 250 and 251, and under federal laws, when on duty or when training or preparing themselves for military duty;
(c) Persons carrying out or training for emergency management duties under chapter 252;
(d) Sheriffs, marshals, prison or jail wardens, police officers, Florida highway patrol officers, game wardens, revenue officers, forest officials, special officers appointed under the provisions of chapter 354, and other peace and law enforcement officers and their deputies and assistants and full-time paid peace officers of other states and of the Federal Government who are carrying out official duties while in this state;
(e) Officers or employees of the state or United States duly authorized to carry a concealed weapon;
(f) Guards or messengers of common carriers, express companies, armored car carriers, mail carriers, banks, and other financial institutions, while actually employed in and about the shipment, transportation, or delivery of any money, treasure, bullion, bonds, or other thing of value within this state;
(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors’ gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
(i) A person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person while engaged in the lawful course of such business;
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;
(k) A person firing weapons in a safe and secure indoor range for testing and target practice;
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;
(m) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper, concealed or otherwise, from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business;
(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;
(o) Investigators employed by the several public defenders of the state, while actually carrying out official duties, provided such investigators:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Umm. I believe the answers you got are dead wrong..
NO, you can not open carry while actively engaged in Archery hunting. There is no open Carry provision that supersedes Hunting Regulations. CWP, concealed..yes. No CWP..No. The exception is for CWP holders under CWP provisions. Which technically is concealed.
While you could technically open carry under several different serineos, like fishing, possibly hiking in or out. If you are carrying a bow and appear to be actively engaged in hunting during Archery, primitive, etc season. You may not be armed unless you have a CWP.
You need to read the hunting Regs and ... regs for what ever geographic location you are hunting. Management, private, etc..
I would also make darn sure not to carry anything that might be construed as a firearm associated with hunting.
If you are hunting on private land managed under the large landowner program then it does not matter because there are no specific Archery or Primitive Weapons seasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Umm. I believe the answers you got are dead wrong..
NO, you can not open carry while actively engaged in Archery hunting. There is no open Carry provision that supersedes Hunting Regulations. CWP, concealed..yes. No CWP..No. The exception is for CWP holders under CWP provisions. Which technically is concealed.
While you could technically open carry under several different serineos, like fishing, possibly hiking in or out. If you are carrying a bow and appear to be actively engaged in hunting during Archery, primitive, etc season. You may not be armed unless you have a CWP.
You need to read the hunting Regs and ... regs for what ever geographic location you are hunting. Management, private, etc..
I would also make darn sure not to carry anything that might be construed as a firearm associated with hunting.
If you are hunting on private land managed under the large landowner program then it does not matter because there are no specific Archery or Primitive Weapons seasons.
But as Telum Pisces (sorry for any misspellings) pointed out the statute said any “hunting” activity. The statute doesn’t outline firearm hunting vs archery, muzzleloading, spear etc. You may get hassled but per the statue you’re legally allowed

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
But as Telum Pisces (sorry for any misspellings) pointed out the statute said any “hunting” activity. The statute doesn’t outline firearm hunting vs archery, muzzleloading, spear etc. You may get hassled but per the statue you’re legally allowed
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, Doghunter3! 🍻

Since you've now made your first post to FCC without first making the customary introduction, in a nearly 4 year old thread no less, please now take the time to educate yourself on how FCC works (see last paragraph below) and then post you're own proper Introduction Thread to FCC letting forum members get to know you a little, of course without getting too personal. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering your questions!

If you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Also, I highly recommend you read this thread to understand how to navigate FCC to get the most out of your experience. One particular item that's caught many veteran FCC members off guard is the "Recommended Reading" at the bottom of each page, which MAY contain quite old threads of inactive conversations lacking up-to-date information or context. So beware of the date of the last post (just to the right of the post number) in any thread you come across so you don't mistakenly think every post is recent and start responding to very old posts/threads that been dormant for quite some time, sometimes for many years.

Again, welcome to FCC and good luck! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
i'm confused
Apparently so is/was Number1gun when he posted #8 back in 2017 because although I am not a lawyer, the Florida Statutes as a whole do not work as he "interpreted" them and Telum Pieces correctly "cited" the applicable Statutes in Chapter 790.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts