Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noob here again. I have what may be a stupid question to most of you long-timers... (and please read the whole explanation first)

As a CWL holder, what are the rules on carrying in a vehicle? I understand the rules of carrying while occupying the vehicle. What if I leave the vehicle leaving my weapon inside (as it is no longer on my person). Does the whole "securely encased" apply as does having the gun loaded or must it be secured in a more restrictive manner and unloaded? Just a thought... again, as a newbie I'm a bit anal retentive trying to understand precisely every law about carrying so I do not do something wrong and have a hassle with the legal system. Thanks all.

-LS

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Concealed carry laws are inapplicable to the issue of firearm storage in an unoccupied vehicle. Theoretically, you could leave a loaded firearm on the front seat of your car in plain view as long as the vehicle was secured...that would be incredibly stupid, but I don't think it would be illegal.

I think the only applicable law here would be the one that prohibits leaving a firearm within easy access of a minor (or other prohibited person). But ensuring that the gun is, at the very least, "securely encased" (and out of view) would seem prudent.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
In your scenario the "securely encased" rule would apply. The gun can be loaded but should be in some kind of container. Glove box, shoe box covered or inside your covered armrest are all considered securely encased. There are no restrictions on the gun being loaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts