Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops, I think I might have broken the law. With the best of intentions, you understand.

My dh has reminded me that I may have accidentally carried illegally while driving. I have my LCP attached to my left hip cross draw style. It is where it is most comfortable. It is attached when I leave the house and get into the car in the garage. It is on my hip while I'm driving. Am I allowed to do that?

From what I've just read in Gutmacher's book I believe I cannot do that while driving in the car. Now I'm all confused. Must I have my gun encased in the glove box while driving? Or at least have a snap on my holster? I do not have a snap on this holster.

Does this mean every time I enter the car I must put my gun in the console or glove box? I have a slide console which would make easy access but the fact that I must unhitch every time I enter and leave the car is a bit disconcerting.

What do you all do? Or better yet, what does the law say on this?

MamaBear

·
Registered
974 Posts
My dh has reminded me that I may have accidentally carried illegally while driving. I have my LCP attached to my left hip cross draw style. It is where it is most comfortable. It is attached when I leave the house and get into the car in the garage. It is on my hip while I'm driving. Am I allowed to do that?

MamaBear
You were legal. Somebody with their license has to have it in the glove compartment in something like a holster with a thumb snap.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
You were legal. Somebody with their license has to have it in the glove compartment in something like a holster with a thumb snap.
or is that
Somebody without their license has to have it in the glove compartment in something like a holster with a thumb snap

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have a carry permit you can carry it on your person while driving. If not, you need to have it incased in something, glove compartment, zippered bag, hard case, snaped holster out of sight.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Yes, with a CWFL, you may carry the weapon on your person. It must remain concealed, however. Open carry is still illegal in FL, except under very specific circumstances. Driving in a car isn't one of them.

Now, if it's in a thumb-break or other 'securely encased' holster on your person, AND you have a CWFL, I suppose you could make an agrument...I wouldn't want to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts