Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever try to conceal carry in a vest made for such of thing... cross draw and with a special "built in" holster... I would think it would be almost perfect 4 Florida weather... U don't get to sweat all over ur guns... :thumsup

any thoughts???

·
Registered
974 Posts
ever try to conceal carry in a vest made for such of thing... cross draw and with a special "built in" holster... I would think it would be almost perfect 4 Florida weather... U don't get to sweat all over ur guns...
I saw a guy wearing a vest yesterday. I figured he was carrying. I may have been wrong.

That's the only drawback to wearing a vest like that. Some people will figure you are carrying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw a guy wearing a vest yesterday. I figured he was carrying. I may have been wrong.

That's the only drawback to wearing a vest like that. Some people will figure you are carrying.
Those would be limited to people who own firearms and have have seen the vest while researching holsters.

'normal' sheeple will be blissfully unaware :)

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
The concealed carry vest is kinda like the fanny pack. Most people won't know your carrying but us gun folks and some criminals do look twice at people who use these concealed carry methods. I try to make my IWB as comfortable as possible. This method gets the least attention.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I read somewhere an account of a guy in TX carrying concealed who went to one of those oil change places, wearing one of those "tactical" vests as a cover garment. The guy working there right away asked what he was carrying.

Apparently, this oil change place frequently hired ex-cons, and the ex-con who asked about the CCW told the fella that a lot of cons talk about identifying people wearing those types of vests as opponents rather than victims, as they figure them to be carrying concealed.

An argument could be made from this to wear such a vest, so that a potential BG would tend to skip over you, fearing getting shot.

However, I tend to take the negative view and figure that anything giving away that I could be carrying is a clue to a BG that I have a weapon they might be able to steal.

To me, concealed means concealed. If wearing a vest...either as a cover garment or oen designed to conceal the weapon itself...can identify you as possibly carrying concealed, then you're no longer really concealed.

I think I just confused myself.

-JT

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
I used to believe that everybody would know I was carrying if I did so utilizing a 'photojournalist' vest or fanny pack. But the fact of the matter is, both of those items were around long before they were commonly being used as methods of concealment. I'm pretty sure that the only folks who would be cognizant of their use as concealment methods are other gun people.

As far as criminals figuring out I have a gun, so what? They're not known for their bravery in attacking armed individuals; I contend that if a BG suspected that a potential victim was armed, he would cease to consider that individual a potential victim. I think that you're MUCH more likely to be attacked if a thug thinks that you're unarmed.

And for the record, concealed means nobody can see your gun; not that nobody knows you have one. If I stick a pistol in my waistband and cover it with a shirt that says "I'm carrying a concealed weapon", the gun is, in fact, still concealed. Albeit not too cleverly, but hidden from view nonetheless.

·
Registered
55,823 Posts
As far as criminals figuring out I have a gun, so what? They're not known for their bravery in attacking armed individuals; I contend that if a BG suspected that a potential victim was armed, he would cease to consider that individual a potential victim. I think that you're MUCH more likely to be attacked if a thug thinks that you're unarmed.

In the first bolded statement above---------my sentiments exactly.

In the underlined statement, I've seen just that very thing happen on the streets while working in some less than desirable areas of Boston and the outlying financially challenged/depressed section 8 projects.

Relative the underlined statement, absolutely correct from my own experiences on the streets over 20+ years. Good call on both statements sir.

Even when I open carry out here [ not all the time but often enough ], you can tell the bangers/thugs/BG's take note of your presence and tend to not want to engage. If they know you are carrying, you are considered a hard target. Most of them by their very nature look for soft targets that are easy to take down or intimidate into getting what they want.

Take an example of a visit I made at 2:30 am just last week to fill up the truck with gas. The stations closed but you can use the pumps with a credit card anytime. It's isolated enough in a Frye's grocery store area out of the main parking area, with plenty of cover for BG's to be hiding.

I open carried to the station by tucking the t shirt under the OWB holster and grip of the G17. Two early to mid 20's looking youths with the baggies and tats with wife beater shirts on [ you know, the muscle shirts type ] came from the street some 30 yrds away off the sidewalk and down over the embankment into the lot and headed straight toward my location at the pumps.

When they got to within 25 or 30 feet I verbally engaged them in a clear loud voice with "Can I help you boys"?. They slowed their pace and kept coming. I put the pump on auto and faced them at that time. I repeated the question and still no answer from either of them as they continued to approach.

At 15 feet or so, I told them I wasn't buying anything they were selling, wasn't giving them a ride anywhere and to not approach any closer or there could be trouble while adjusting the holster:laughing.

They both pulled up short and stopped. One of them then made the comment that they weren't looking for any trouble to which I replied "good, just turn around and walk away and there won't be any". They obliged and walked back to the road. I watched them continue on down the road and out of site while I finished at the pump and got in and drove off.

It's my belief they pulled up short because when I adjusted the holster, they saw that and understood three things. I was aware of their presence, I wasn't going to let them walk up on me without challenging their intentions, and I was armed and not an easy mark for whatever they had in mind.

I've learned over the years that it's all about how YOU present yourself to the criminals, how YOU show your intentions of not being harrassed by your demeanor and challenging their intentions before they have a chance to get up on you.

If you look like sheeple, act like sheeple you're likely to be treated like sheeple by those with nefarious intentions. YOU play a bigger role in the game than you think most of the time.

Brownie

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see it this way, most criminals fear an armed citizen more than the police, and when they can identify you as a threat, they would be wise to go commit _______ elseware. So its win for you, (easy to conceal) and win for them, (they get to live another day over something that was not worth there life in the first place). :dancingbanana

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've used a vest of sorts when my carry options are limited. The essential jacket from Scottevest converts from a jacket to a vest and has more pockets than I can fill. It's not specifically designed for concealed carry, but the way they layer the pockets makes a weapon conceal very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.