Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Ok, my wife and I are waiting our daughter any time now. She is completely full term and we are just waiting for the first contraction. :dancingbanana

After she checks in the hospital, I know that we will be there for at least 3 days (know by experience, as this is our 3rd baby). And I will be coming home only to take a shower and then back to the hospital.

Of course, our hospital has a "No Weapons" sign but I did not see hospitals in the list of places we cannot carry a weapon at. Do you guys know anything that I don't know about this?

I was thinking to leave it home, but after what happened in Norway, I don't want a BG to be the only one with a gun in there.
Would you guys ignore the sign?

Also, I will probably be wearing shorts and a t-shirt almost all the time, so I was thinking to have it in a backpack always close to me. Any other ideas?

By the way, it is a Glock 26 :2thumsup

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
it depends on the hospital, is there a psych ward? is it part of a school? those 2 factors could prohibit your carrying there, post the hospital and I am sure someone can be more specific

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If there's a mental health unit you might re check the prohibited list

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it depends on the hospital, is there a psych ward? is it part of a school? those 2 factors could prohibit your carrying there, post the hospital and I am sure someone can be more specific
It's a Memorial West Hospital in Pembroke Pines, FL.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
If there's a mental health unit you might re check the prohibited list
It's not in the prohibited list. It's in another statute:

394.458 Introduction or removal of certain articles unlawful; penalty.—

(1)(a) Except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of each hospital providing mental health services under this part, it is unlawful to introduce into or upon the grounds of such hospital, or to take or attempt to take or send therefrom, any of the following articles, which are hereby declared to be contraband for the purposes of this section:

1. Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect;

2. Any controlled substance as defined in chapter 893; or

3. Any firearms or deadly weapon.

(b) It is unlawful to transmit to, or attempt to transmit to, or cause or attempt to cause to be transmitted to, or received by, any patient of any hospital providing mental health services under this part any article or thing declared by this section to be contraband, at any place which is outside of the grounds of such hospital, except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of such hospital.

(2) A person who violates any provision of this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.​

The phrase "except as authorized by law" is the key. Jon Gutmacher states in his book that a CWFL is an authorization by law. His contention is supported by the fact that neither hospitals nor mental health facilities appear in the prohibited list in 790.06(12). However, he cautions, there is no case law on this.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
FS clearly state except as authorized by law. So, hospitals should be good to go...except if LE doesn't know that. Gutmacher made the same argument and got someone off in Orange Co. They are NOT in the listing of places not authorized even with a CWFL. So, concealed is concealed. Hospitals are one of the most dangerous places anyone can go. BGs need health care, too.

ETA: Rich beat me to it, and more complete.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
FS clearly state except as authorized by law. So, hospitals should be good to go...except if LE doesn't know that. Gutmacher made the same argument and got someone off in Orange Co. They are NOT in the listing of places not authorized even with a CWFL. So, concealed is concealed. Hospitals are one of the most dangerous places anyone can go. BGs need health care, too.

Sorry...but thanks for the compliment!

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts

Gutmacher made that argument and got charges against his client dismissed. He also pointed out that since his case didn't go to trial there is no case law yet on this point. Proceed with caution.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Content deleted...Steve, Rich and MiklColt have it covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys. That's the info I needed.

Tomorrow I will confirm that they don't have a metal health unit just in case.

Also, if I end up carrying it, might do some time of deep concealment so nobody should be looking or searching that area :)

You guys are better than Google.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
See what you get for being late to the party, Scott! :grin
That's one statute number I can NEVER remember...probably because I consider it irrelevant...took me a minute or two to find it.

It was GREAT post, too! I assure you! :grin

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Oh, by the way, §394.458 F.S. is also known as the Florida Mental Health Act. So why would it apply to hospitals in general? The only reason I mention this is that Lee County has an outpatient clinic known as the Sanctuary East Outpatient Clinic. My daughter goes there for her "female" stuff. There is no mental health facility at the location, but the door has this on it:

IMG_0072.jpg

The "catch" is that the state definition of "weapon" does not include a firearm.

·
Registered
425 Posts
GlockDr - My child was born there as well, so I would like to know what you find out.

People who think like lawyers - what if there is a mental health building on the hospital campus, but not physically part of the hospital?

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Oh, by the way, §394.458 F.S. is also known as the Florida Mental Health Act. So why would it apply to hospitals in general? The only reason I mention this is that Lee County has an outpatient clinic known as the Sanctuary East Outpatient Clinic. My daughter goes there for her "female" stuff. There is no mental health facility at the location, but the door has this on it:

View attachment 8199

The "catch" is that the state definition of "weapon" does not include a firearm.
You and Patrick live in Lee County and those signs are still there????

SLACKER!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello All,

Ok, ...

Also, I will probably be wearing shorts and a t-shirt almost all the time, so I was thinking to have it in a backpack always close to me. Any other ideas?

By the way, it is a Glock 26 :2thumsup

Thanks.
The question about CC in a hospital vs mental health facility has been covered.

As to your question about other ideas than the backpack, you have a few options with the G26 as it is one of the Baby GLOCKs. A BlackHawk size 4 pocket holster will work for G26/G27 pocket carry or IWB since there is little time for shipping a Remora to you. Also, a Clipdraw is an option; some folks love 'em and some folks recommend against leaving the trigger unguarded (Saf-T-Blok cures this); just another option. http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=392&action=show_detail and they are found in several Jacksonville area gun shops so I assume they are easily found near you, too.

Based on your body, a t-shirt with room in the abdomen for IWB CC will keep you from having to safeguard a loaded backpack. It's just too easy to walk away from backpacks and briefcases in moments of mental lapses.

By the way, congratulations, Grandpa.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
First, congratulations on the new family addition! :)

As respect the mental health facility, if they do have one, find out if it is a separate building and if that building is connected to the one you’ll be in. Better safe than sorry.

With regard to the backpack, can you manage a fanny pack and that way it is on you along with your money for whenever you go downstairs to buy food and stuff? There are a lot of children that visit at the maternity ward, not all parents are attentive of their little ones. When my daughter had our youngest grandchild, 9 months ago, the sibling of the baby next door would sneak out of their room and into ours every time his parents blinked an eye. He ended up with one of teddy bears since we didn’t want him to continue crying when his dad took it away (he didn't care it was pink either) :). If not on you, keep the bag on the top shelf of the little closet and away from unexpected little visitors, they are faster than lightning.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts