Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a permit long enough that I've had to renew it once, and use a wheelchair to get around. I know this isn't relevant to most folks, but if I'd have been able to get advice from someone in my situation, perhaps the pile of holsters that I have bought that didn't work out for me would be a lot smaller.

The wheelchair creates an opportunity for me to use a carry method that I see mentioned only as a bad idea where it is mentioned at all. That is, small of the back.

Physical limits are different for everyone, even when they look similar from a distance. I have a 30 some year old spinal cord injury. That means that my upper body works normally and other that just getting older the situation does not change over time. I'm not ill, just crippled.

The wheelchair I use is small and lightweight. It is also black.

The carry gun I use is also small and black, a Smith & Wesson J frame. I use a Galco leather holster (also black). The holster is outside the waste band, but I leave my shirt tail out in the back, usually tucked in in the front.

The back of the wheelchair covers the gun completely from the back. The shirt covers it from the top. It is not visible even to the barber. I have developed a habit of tugging my shirt tail down before getting in and out of the wheelchair in public places (in and out of the car for example).

I don't know for sure if this technique would work for someone who spends all day in a car, but perhaps it would.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Pile of Holsters

I haven't even received my license yet and I'm already on my second holster :rolleyes:

I hope I settle into a good one before my pile gets too big.

Some research on the forum has probably help me to narrow my choices.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Good stuff, Jwarmke.

In your particular situation, SOB is a perfectly viable carry method, IMO. The normal ding against SOB carry is having a huge chunck of metal directly over the lower spine. Very dangerous should you slip and fall.

Doing a routine aircraft check on a frozen flightline in Maine, I slipped and fell. My POS issued cuff case had slid out of position and ended up right in the small of my back. Hurt like hell. I laid there on the ice for about 15 minutes before I could move enough to reach the radio I dropped which was now 10 feet away (of course, banging my noggin off of the ice didn't help the situation any!). I can't imagine what would have happened had that been a full-size firearm and not just handcuffs.

This is not an issue in your case.

Carry in good health!

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
The first thing that came to mind for someone seated would be a cross-draw style holster. You might be familiar with one already, but accessing the weapon when it is placed on the waistline seems to me that it would offer relatively fast access and within a comfortable range of motion.

I'm sure you will get some other good ideas as the members chime in.

·
Registered
54,325 Posts
The first thing that came to mind for someone seated would be a cross-draw style holster. You might be familiar with one already, but accessing the weapon when it is placed on the waistline seems to me that it would offer relatively fast access and within a comfortable range of motion.

I'm sure you will get some other good ideas as the members chime in.
Seated all the time, I'd prefer the cross-draw myself for many reasons Ron. Good thought process here :thumsup

SOB can be problematic when trying to fend off an aggressor in your situation jwarmke. I understand it hides well, but the arms considerable articulation to get to it might not be possible under duress of an attack.

Cross-draw would allow you to actually have your hand very close to the firearm should you see a situation developing. I carried a second firearm in the cross-draw position when working protection details where being seated while transporting the principle was often required.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
Thank you Brownie. :D

I did a Google for some pics that show a cross-draw style holster in a seated position and I was able to find these.

Please note that the model is not included in the purchase of said holster. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts