Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered how many carry at work?
Does your employer know?

If you don't mind sharing what type work do you do?

I work at a newspaper and not sure how my employer would feel about me carrying.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I work for myself, so i don't have that issue to deal with.

I would just advise that you check to see if there is a company policy in place. While you might be legal to carry in the State of Florida, when you are at work, legally you do not need your employer's permission to carry on his property, however your employer definitely can dictate if that is permissible, and you can be fired if you violate the company's policy/his wishes.

Living in this litigious world that we do, it would be somewhat surprising if your boss would overlook his potential liability exposure and allow you to carry.

That said, perhaps your boss is very pro 2nd Amendment and will not mind.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
If you don't want to risk your job at least carry to and from work and leave it in your vehicle. It's a judgement call everyone has to make as to what's more important. It's a tough call.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I carry to and from work,and i don't have to tell my employer kept under lock and key.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks to that cool new law Florida recently passed, no one within the state has to answer any questions regarding if they have a weapon in their car or if they have a concealed carry permit.

While my boss (and even his boss) are very cool, I figure the less my company knows (a very large corporation who has a 'no weapons on premises policy) the better off I am.

I do carry to work, and leave it in one of those steel boxes that has a key, attached to the frame of my seat. I believe its called 'Secure It' at Cabelas, I've seen others link to it on these forums).

·
Registered
974 Posts
The company I work for doesn't have an employee handbook much less a rule against carrying.

My boss' boss knows I have a concealed license. He's a Brit who had to give up his collection when the UK gov't made it illegal.

He used to make his own shotgun stocks.

·
213 Posts
My Fortune 500 company has a "no weapons on company premises" policy. Violating this policy calls for automatic termination after the first offense. I leave my .38 special in my personal vehicle along with my holster. Our parking lot is common ground for several other businesses so it is not considered company premises.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I have a somewhat unique situation...I am employed as a private investigator, but my employer prohibits carrying a weapon while on duty or on company property (which isn't much of an issue for me, since our office is in Illinois). I cannot use my CHL to carry in my capacity as a P.I.; a "G" license is required to do that, but the state has told me that I can legally keep a firearm in my vehicle while on duty as long as it's 'securely encased'. The new Florida law allows me, with my CHL, to keep a firearm locked within my vehicle while I'm at work, and since I work out of my vehicle (which is always kept locked), I don't think my company can legally terminate me for having a gun in my vehicle while on duty.

Of course, I have no intention of discussing the matter with my employer, but I get the feeling that they know I will not allow myself to be victimized in order to adhere to any corporate policy. We had an investigator get robbed at gunpoint earlier this year and I told my boss in no uncertain terms that that will not happen to me. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
carrying at work

this is for "employees" only. you could be in serious trouble if you are an employee and carry at work without your employers permission (in writing).
a customer can carry in a business open to the public, but an employee must abide by what the company policy is about carrying while on duty working. the employee can bring his weapon with him to the employee parking lot IF he has a florida concealed carry license, but he or she must lock their weapons up in the vehicle while at work. please read chapter 790.251 of the florida statutes. there are exceptions in this law, where if the employers business meets certain conditions you as an employee, even with a ccl may not be able to have a weapon in the employees parking lot in the vehicle. please read the "EXCEPTIONS" part of 790.251. even a customer without a ccl can have an encased handgun in their vehicle in the customer parking lot. hope this helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always carry at work. My job takes me into the bad parts of town daily. Here in Jacksonville that means putting my poor old body in harms way in an area of town that rivals the old west when it comes to shootings and murder. My boss suggested that I carry and was glad to hear that I already did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I carry to and from and leave locked in the car while at work. It is strictly forbidden by my organization even though my employer, supervisor, and even the director of security said they personally don't mind, but company policy is a firm NO...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

I appreciate all the replies. Sounds like safest solution is securely lock in vehicle while at work.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I would if I worked!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I carry all the time and practice "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Hey, Clinton was good for that, at least! :)

Have a day. Bang Gunley

·
653 Posts
I work for myself and my policy is that al employees must carry while at work, including the guy that cleans the office (thats me too).

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
The bottom line for me is that my employer doesn't want personal firearms on company property. Given that the danger to me in traveling between home and work is minimal, I'm going to respect that policy. It just isn't worth getting into a problem with the company, regardless of the letter of the law.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Of course the way I look at it is concealed is just that, nobody knows if I'm carrying so I carry every where I go. some of the jobs I do are at places that don't want weapons on their property but most haven't posted there property and the ones that have haven't done so correctly. So until someone finds out I'm carrying and tells me not to I'll keep on carrying. I'd rather be alive and unemployed then dead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just had a chat with my boss about this actually. I work for the Southwest Florida Water Management District in Brooksville, and the official policy is no, but with our CWP we can keep our weapons in our vehicles. BTW I don't recommend talking to the bossman unless you know that he's supercool (which mine is). I sit at a desk all day, so I could ankle carry and nobody would have a clue, but I need to stay employed too... I haven't made my final decision as to whether I'll carry or not, that hinges on how well I can conceal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts