Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to Mr. Harrell, no definitive answer, but it is something to keep in mind especially if one uses inexpensive aftermarket magazines. I have several 30 round Magpul AR magazines loaded and ready to go, wondering if I should take 5 rounds out of each to reduce the spring compression?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pch0J9-7i2k

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
A properly designed spring can remain compressed to its design limit indefinitely without deterioration. Springs deteriorate from being compressed and then uncompressed, repeatedly.

The only way that storing a magazine fully loaded would damage it would be if the magazine was improperly designed. I'm certain that there are some garbage magazine manufacturers out there making magazines which may be improperly designed, but I leave my Glock and AR15 magazines fully loaded at all times. I am confident they are properly designed and have never read anything credible to suggest that they are not.

My two cents.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
I've got M1a mags that have been loaded for over a decade. -2 so 18 rounds in mags. They perform when needed. I keep 10 ar 30 rd mags loaded with 28 rds for the Tavor, they'll perform when called upon.

Old habit of long term storage using the -2 from full capacity. This way, the spring is never fully compressed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A properly designed spring can remain compressed to its design limit indefinitely without deterioration. Springs deteriorate from being compressed and then uncompressed, repeatedly. . . . . . . . . .
This. A Metallurgist who had actually done work designing springs explained this to me several years ago.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I've got M1a mags that have been loaded for over a decade. -2 so 18 rounds in mags. They perform when needed. I keep 10 ar 30 rd mags loaded with 28 rds for the Tavor, they'll perform when called upon.

Old habit of long term storage using the -2 from full capacity. This way, the spring is never fully compressed.
^^^^^^^^This comes from the USMC. We always downloaded two. Especially when we went to M-16's vs the M-14.

DO i know for sure that springs fail due to compression? Nope, but here is what I am absolutely sure of. By not fully compressing the spring, I have never had a failure due to the magazine spring failure.

So I will go with that.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I have always done -1 on pistol and -2 on rifle mags. I’m fine with being called paranoid, but I’ve never had a problem in 34 years.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
I do - 1 on the DS-15 and a full stack on the spare Glock and LCP mags. Is this not good practice? Not too concerned about about an emergency reload, as a "tactical" reload would be more probable.

But yeah, please school me.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
^^^^^^^^This comes from the USMC. We always downloaded two. Especially when we went to M-16's vs the M-14.

DO i know for sure that springs fail due to compression? Nope, but here is what I am absolutely sure of. By not fully compressing the spring, I have never had a failure due to the magazine spring failure.

So I will go with that.
:thumsup

·
Registered
13,194 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,306 Posts
Here is another long-winded but good Paul Herrell video on the subject that's in line with what brownie and Bob have stated in this thread:

He also makes some pretty humorous comments start around 18:20! :rofl

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I have my doubts that downloading a mag by a couple of rounds will preserve and extend the life of a mag spring.

That said, I do know that by downloading a new higher capacity than standard 1911 magazine, or a 30 round AR “standard magazine;” will ensure that the mag will feed reliably. I believe that the original intent of “load 28” was to ensure reliability; not to enhance mag spring longevity.

I own a few Vietnam era 30 round AR mags, complete with the 100 MPH duct tape wrap around the mag at the bottom, and a para cord loop extending from the bottom. One won’t reliably feed the first round from a fully loaded mag; but will reliably feed when down loaded to 28 rounds...

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Now, coil bind in a recoil spring WILL damage whatever the weakest link is in the recoil assembly.

Coil bind is when a spring is compressed until there is no space left between the coils. If the length of the fully compressed spring (now a solid steel tube) is longer, for example, than the distance between the guide rod flange and the plug/barrel bushing of a 1911; bad $hit is about to happen. Most often; the barrel bushing feet will break off, allowing the recoil spring and plug to head for parts unknown, somewhere down range.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
My son tells me they download -2 when they go out. Good enough for them good enough for me. I hope I'll never need the 220 rounds they carry, but I do, and more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts