Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
SYG is not a defense! Why do the media and politicians keep referring to it as such??? Never mind... I know.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
When civil unrest becomes uncivil, people end up getting hurt...

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
I don't see how SYG even applies in this situation.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
SYG works as a complete defense, it’s technically called immunity but it’s the same thing.You may remember the burden of proof changed a while back. Now the state has to prove you are not entitled to SYG and sometimes you may get a young prosecutor thats asleep at the switch.

The thing that concerned me was when I saw the one lawyer being interviewed, he had a background set up of his firm logo with a big shark fin prominently displayed. Maybe I can sue him.

·
Registered
11,447 Posts

Stand your ground laws are essentially a revocation of the duty to retreat. Stand your ground laws generally state that, under certain circumstances, individuals can use force to defend themselves without first attempting to retreat from the danger. The purpose behind these laws is to remove any confusion about when individuals can defend themselves and to eliminate prosecutions of people who legitimately used self-defense even though they had not attempted to retreat from the threat.

In many states, such as Florida, with stand your ground laws, a claim of self-defense under a stand your ground law offers immunity from prosecution
rather than an affirmative defense.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Above is another example of the dangers of practicing “google law”, there is a big distinction between a defense and “affirmative defense”. An affirmative defenses is a matter of pleading and there are certain things you must affirmatively plead in your answer or they will be waived. A defense simply refers to a theory or technique in fighting the charge or lawsuit. As I always say, probably best to take your legal advice or explanations from a real lawyer.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
Above is another example of the dangers of practicing “google law”, there is a big distinction between a defense and “affirmative defense”. An affirmative defenses is a matter of pleading and there are certain things you must affirmatively plead in your answer or they will be waived. A defense simply refers to a theory or technique in fighting the charge or lawsuit. As I always say, probably best to take your legal advice or explanations from a real lawyer.
Yeah well and as I always say. I wouldn’t take the advice of half the attorneys out there because they lose their cases. Just as I wouldn’t take the advice of half the gun instructors out there as they lose their gunfights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts