Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I can see why he'd do that, given that "The Rodent" and he are at each other's throat right now. If they're really going to do it, I hope that the legislature does it right and not pass "no gun signage" with the force of law... as I'm sure "The Rodent" and the FRF would want in :"compensation".... Just decouple constitutional carry from open carry and that just might work. But we also need to do the other things... like:

1) eliminate or reduce "red flag" laws. Make it so that no LEA can just show up at a respondant's house and take their guns without/prior to that respondant having a defensive "day in court" or, being allowed to have a 3rd party store the guns elswhere (and not the LEA).

2) Eliminate any possibility of "Civil asset forfeiture."

3) Clarify the "imporper display of a firearm" laws (sometimes referred to as "brandishing") to make it clear to LE that an accidental or inconsequental display of a concealed wepon does not violate such a law. There has to be bad intent in displaying it.

4) Consider a 2A sanctuary state.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
As far as # 3, I believe CC allows for open carry too.
Yes, it would. But I'm really afraid that the legislature, at the behest of "The Rodent/FRF" will insist on "No guns allowed" signage that has the force of law, if they allow OC as part of Constitutional Carry. I hope they can keep that from happening.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
We can dream ! I am new to Florida politics. Wish I knew who "The Rodent" refers to?
As Pig stated, "The Rodent" refers to the entire Disney Organization, specifically what's based in Florida. It's also known as "The Mouse" or "The Rat." I prefer "The Rodent" as a good go-between... "the mouse" being too nice, "The Rat" being too harsh.

There is also the FRF - "Florida Retail Federation" that speaks for all the other Florida retailers like Publix, etc.). Both of these orgs are strongly anti-2A. and will fight tooth and nail against Open Carry. But they might not be as resistant to Constitution Carry for "concealed only." Hopefully we can make that happen.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I see news Newmax Crawler Blurbs today that says DeSantis will push for Constitutional Carry.....

Well, maybe at some point. Might be an easier thing to do once re-elected and he doesn't have to run in FL again. We'll see.

But I hope he's aware of the issues involved! NO OC!

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
It's not an Open Carry law. It's a Constitutional Carry bill. There's a difference. To my understanding... Constitutional Carry addresses CONCEALED carry without any special license. Open Carry is an entirely separate kettle of fish, which has its advocates (ahem... "wandering pier fishermen"). But, it's not being proposed in a bill as far as I know.
I'm thinking the "wandering fisherman" all believe it is, and that's why they're pushing so hard for it.

We don't need it.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I thought Constitutional carry was giving the right to carry without restrictions. Seems like omitting open carry is not actually Constitutional Carry if in fact it does not allow open carry.
Also I am not sure pushing Constitutional carry is going to give him more support come election time. The liberals are not going to miss a chance to claim this will increase gun violence with eliminating the requirement of training and acquiring a license and there are plenty of voters that will agree with the nonsense of that claim.
I always understood it to mean, "the right to carry without licensing, paying fees, requiring training, etc. etc. etc." How you carry is a different matter. Unless the constitution enumerates that as well, I don't believe one can imply OC automatically.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
As a practical matter, constitutional carry in Florida would only accomplish two things: (maybe 3)

1) It will eliminate the penalty for law-abiding gun owners who carry concealed without a license.
2) It will save some people money as they will no longer have to pay for a concealed carry permit.
3) But since it will no doubt be easier to travel with a CCW in reciprocity states, most people will continue to get the permit anyway. (I know I will...)

So, at best, this law removes a penalty for carrying without a license, and will save a few bucks and hassle for those few who never intend to take their firearm outside Florida.
You still have to be a lawful gun owner (pass a background check, etc...), and the bill does not put firearms into the hands of criminals, nor does it make that outcome easier.
I wonder therefore if, perhaps, Gov. DeSantis is pushing Const. Carry as a "low hanging fruit..." something relatively easier to pass so he can say, "Hey, I passed pro-2A legislation" without much risk (as long as he keeps OC out of it). This, as opposed to something more difficult to pass like repealing red-flag laws or making Civil Asset forfeiture illegal.

BTW, I'm not opposed to "asset forfeiture." I just believe it's something only a court can do as a matter of imposing a sentence for a crime for which the defendant has been adjudicated guilty. I don't believe it's something LE should be allowed to do "on the street" during a traffic stop or upon serving an ERPO for which the respondent has not had any representation in a court of law. There's just way too much of an "incentive for revenue enhancements."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts