Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I read a FB post by Luis Valdes which sums up the special session:

Rep. Sabatini to initiate the call for Constitutional Carry among the legislature.
For the special session to be called in Florida, 20% of lawmakers from both chambers will have to petition the Secretary of State calling for the session.
If that benchmark is reached, the Secretary of State will conduct a formal poll of both chambers.
If three-fifths of lawmakers in both chambers agree, it’s at that point a special session will be called.
Republicans have the numbers to act with or without Democrats signing on.
It is now sink or swim for Republican in the legislature that claim to be pro-gun.
So basically it seems we literally have the numbers to get this done. The Dems can't stop it by sheer party line voting.

It'll be the ultimate litmus test of:

• The Republicans in the Florida Legislature
  • The people who vote them in and keep voting them in

DeSantis has already said he'll sign a CC bill if it reaches him. For better or for worse, he's done all he can without exceeding the authority of his office.

So, basically we're gonna see how many Republicans actually adhere to the standards they promote.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I know, right? It's sad really. I mean I'm an optimist but I don't see some of them doing what they are supposed to.

We have a great Governor, and that's a lot for me to say since I loath government workers for the most part. But unfortunately Florida is still very much a purple state. We talk a really good game though.

People come down here and think we're basically Wyoming in terms of gun laws. When actually it can be argued we have the worst gun laws of any red state.

• Bump stock ban before the Trump one took effect
  • Red flag law
  • CWFL that doesn't even exempt you from the FDLE check
  • Waiting periods for non-CWFL holders

I mean compared to say New York, we have it good, but it could be far better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts