Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its coming down...

Reactions: p51mustang36

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Except they're NOT "increasingly showing up at crime scenes. Ask them to provide proof of that beyond just writing "Police say...."

Even the alphabet agencies (when asked) cannot provide numbers to support that assertion.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Are they going to require serializing and requiring a 4473 for a spool of raw nylon? :)

This is nothing more than posturing.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Sadly, it’s not unexpected. Maybe 10-12 states have enacted legislation concerning unserialized weapons so far. The bandwagon has been rolling this way for a while now.

To quote a famous commentator on a gun forum “What did you THINK was going to happen?”

My concern is that following the seizure of sales/shipping records from P80, some individuals may get a call or visit.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
<<For years, federal officials have been sounding the alarm about an increasing black market for homemade, military-style semi-automatic rifles and handguns. >>>

They forgot one of their hyperbolic superlatives! "Assault!"

"Military-style..." LOL!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Forehead Cheek Chin Hand Finger

• Haha
Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
31,669 Posts

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
But check the trigger discipline! 🤣
But, he's got a vertical foregrip, so that's an evil ASSAULT military-style full-semi-auto ghost gun!

With 30 rounds in half a second clipazines!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
One odd factor is that the 'proliferation' of the 80% market was the direct response to States like California instituting arcane gun control laws. These States created the market and demand and now, seek to create universal laws that address merely the existence of a market that has not been proven to be a significant social detriment.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Frgood, you raise a good point. They worked a loophole and made a ton of money.

They were also in part a victim of their own self promotion. “Buy, build, shoot” And then the feds did the seizure and came up with kits having been mailed to the homes of convicted felons, that certainly didn’t help.

Then the two police officers shot by the P80 in California possessed by a felon turned the tide I believe. I thought he tried a carjacking a day or two after shooting the officers and dropped the pistol at the scene or something. They worked that story pretty hard. I think both officers who were wounded so badly they could never return to work sued P80 and I’m not sure what’s happening in the case.

I don’t think there will be a confiscation but I think there will be pretty stringent requirements and they may include an inability to resell unless a serial number is somehow attached to the firearm.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
It will be interesting to see if he is correct. I have a feeling he will be correct. I hope he's right about injunctions and that they will be successful.

I'm glad I got what I got when I got it / them. I've got enough to keep me busy for a LONG time. But, I've really got to get that leaky canoe fixed.

In any case... How will it change our hobby, REALLY? It will cause the cost of 80% frames to go up substantially. But, beyond that?

I think it will drive sales of 3D printers. I'm still on the fence with those. If I had some confidence such frames were as durable, I'd be in right now. I think I'm going to wait that out. But, I do see the attraction of 3D printing.

Of course, it will do literally NOTHING to curb violent criminals. But, the antis can claim "victory."

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Guys keep saying, just follow the rules and you won't have any problems.
Don't concern yourself with facial recognition, bla bla bla been in the system since 19XX.
TPTB will keep chipping and chipping away and we will keep letting them.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Trying to look at this debate objectively, I find myself torn. The old law enforcement side of me keeps saying that convicted felons should not be able to get a gun. Then it says they should not be able to have things mailed directly to their home where they can put together a pistol in an hour or 10 hours or however long it takes an individual. There is evidence that felons have obtained pistols this way including the one who shot the two police officers in California in an ambush. That bothers me.

I guess the standard retort is “if they wanted a gun, they could’ve got one somewhere else“. Maybe that’s true but they couldn’t have gotten the specific one that crippled those two police officers. Could an actual terrorist get a complete package mailed to a PO Box so he can make his own Glockish pistol? Is that right or wrong?

The optics of the debate are bothersome. We probably don’t know the exact number but there has been significant publicity surrounding felons found in possession of the P80s for example or having shot people with them. No doubt that’s what we’re going to hear a lot of this afternoon and they will probably parade out some victims of shootings by unserialized weapons and try to push the focus on the weapon rather than the shooter.

The gun guy part of me doesn’t like federal intervention into our hobby and/or our constitutional rights under the Second amendment. Some people see this as a legitimate hobby and they like to show pictures or videos of what they’ve done and complement each other just like car collectors do when they build a hot rod from scratch. Everyone has a right to get a verbal pat on the back if it makes them feel good.

I think most of us intellectually believe that there are certain people who should not have access to firearms. It could be because they are mentally unstable, a convicted felon, a serial wife beater, suicidal or whatever. I guess the question becomes does anyone have a legitimate idea on how to thread the needle balancing these two public concerns?

I think the “slippery slope“ argument is legitimate and scares all of us to death with respect to possible registration at some point in the future fueled by disputes that clever marketers started with their “80%“ kits. I doubt their intention was to create an avenue for felons or terrorists or prohibited persons to get handguns, it was collateral damage.

·
Super Moderator
31,669 Posts
In addition to the concerns already expressed, I'm concerned that new rules on what constitutes a gun may be expanded to include repair parts. What happens when I suddenly need a new striker for my Glock? Do I need to go and pass a background check to get it?
Agree that's a BIG concern!

I'm a 40 year Fed Mil/Civil Servant so I'm qualified more than most to echo Ronald Reagan's quote of the most feared phrase to Americans, "I from the government and I'm here to help!" I have severe doubts that the government will "solve" this issue in a manner proportional to the actual problem and will instead do as much damage to American's liberties as their claim of actual safety will provide the American people. In other words, they'll trample the Constitution but try to claim it's for our own good. Horse hockey! :poop:

Reactions: Calimwulf
1 - 20 of 123 Posts