Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just got my carry permit about a week ago. I've read some threads on what "concealed" means and if the display of your firearm or in part is illegal. The FL statute states:

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.--If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

What stands out to me is this:
in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense

If your firearm when it is holstered shows in part (like the grip of your firearm when shoulder holstered) shows, is that defined as rude, careless, angry or threatening?

-LordStryker

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. If your firearm momentarily becomes visible or "prints" you should not be too concerned, however it is good practice to try to keep your concealed weapon truly concealed.

According to Gutmacher in his book Florida Firearms, Law, Use & Ownership, which I strongly recommend that you purchase and read, as it is the definitive book on these topics, there is no case law on this matter. That means that if a situation arises that is questionable, and an officer feels like making an arrest, however unlikely, you could be a test case. Just something to keep in mind.

Now if you were involved in a verbal argument or dispute of some kind, and you purposely moved your cover garment to expose the butt of the gun, then you would be entering legal territory you are best off avoiding.

Here is the link to that book that is really invaluable if you are carrying a concealed weapon in the State of Florida.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/m...e=Florida-Firearms-Law-Use-And-Ownership-Info

·
Registered
192 Posts
No part of the gun can be seen. So it has to be covered completely. If any part of the gun can be seen then you are subject to the charge of brandishing.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
The word careless in the statute refers to not taking proper precautions to keep your weapon concealed. So take as much care as possible to keep it covered up. You might not get in legal trouble but you don't want to be hastled by the cops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts