Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any good or bad comments about using a Blackhawk Serpa with the trigger guard retension for CCW. I have one and plan on doing CCW, Just looking for advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
A buddy of mine uses one for daily CC and he loves it...I was actually playing around with the idea of getting one myself. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I use one for my Smith & Wesson snub nosed revolver when I don't pocket carry. I really like the retention system but as others have previously noted, it does not hug the body as closely as other holsters might.

I usually wear dark, loose fitting shirts when I wear this holster and it does not print in the 3:30-4:00 position for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anybody tried it without the paddle and just using the belt loop. It seems to be close to body using that method.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I have only used it with the belt loop. It can snug in pretty tight if you have a decent belt, but the rigid, square holster shape makes for a slightly more noticeable bulge I think.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What about IWB?

The only way i have seen this holster available is OWB, but i like the concealability of IWB. Has anyone thought about rigging one up for IWB? or does anyone know if someone even makes one for IWB? I have a leather holster for my G19, but it collapses when i pull the gun out of it, which makes for a 2 handed re-holster, I don't like that. I would like to get a kydex holster for IWB. Any ideas?......anyone????:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
The gold standard of IWB fine leather holsters from what I have discerned is the Milt Sparks, Versa Max II.

http://www.miltsparks.com/

There is a fairly lengthy wait for one of his holsters, but I have only heard and read very good reviews about it, and while I don't use the two I have, it certainly is beautifully made.

You might wish to stick around and wait for some input from some of our members here. We have a holster maker in our midst (Little Bear Custom Holsters) that could probably give you some great advice as well as offer some more economical alternatives.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
The only way i have seen this holster available is OWB, but i like the concealability of IWB. Has anyone thought about rigging one up for IWB? or does anyone know if someone even makes one for IWB? I have a leather holster for my G19, but it collapses when i pull the gun out of it, which makes for a 2 handed re-holster, I don't like that. I would like to get a kydex holster for IWB. Any ideas?......anyone????:confused:
The Crossbreed Supertuck is half leather which goes against your skin and half kydex which makes for good re-holstering with one hand.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I would think trying to rig a SERPA holster for IWB would be difficult, at best. Wouldn't that place the release button INSIDE the waistband, unless the holster rode freakishly high on the belt?

-JT

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I would think trying to rig a SERPA holster for IWB would be difficult, at best. Wouldn't that place the release button INSIDE the waistband, unless the holster rode freakishly high on the belt?

-JT
+1! I would have to agree CT. I can't imagine how that could ever work. :confused:

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
The gold standard of IWB fine leather holsters from what I have discerned is the Milt Sparks, Versa Max II.

http://www.miltsparks.com/

There is a fairly lengthy wait for one of his holsters, but I have only heard and read very good reviews about it, and while I don't use the two I have, it certainly is beautifully made.

You might wish to stick around and wait for some input from some of our members here. We have a holster maker in our midst (Little Bear Custom Holsters) that could probably give you some great advice as well as offer some more economical alternatives.
+1 on the Versa Max II. I ordered mine back in June. It came in a couple of weeks ago (it was my Christmas present from my wife). I've been wearing non-stop since Christmas morning (just short of showering and going to bed) and I can say, it is the most comfortable thing I own right now. The wait was long but it was worth it.

Dave may have something similar. Hopefully he'll chime in and let you know.

·
Registered
580 Posts

-JT
Yes, you are right. I don't think a serpa would work with that release button thingy on it, I guess i would just have to go with a standard kydex with leather on the body side, but i would not want the retaining clips mounted to the kydex, i would want the clips on the leather.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a SERPA for my S&W MP9
works very well- easy draw and retains well- a little hard to conceal the MP 9

I am anxiously awaiting my custom rig from Dave at Little Bear Holsters! :dancingbanana

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I wouldn't carry a BH Serpa at all costs.

They have been known to lock the firearm so the holster has to be taken apart physically to get the gun out of it. That's not something I'll chance on the street. I understand that BH supposedly redesigned the holster due to the problem people experienced, but I'm not taking any chances on that mechanism.

I also understand that 2-3 national instructors won't allow the holster to be used in their classes as the chance of a negligent discharge [ ND ] is too much of a risk when the operator gets their finger on the bang switch too soon based on the way the lock is released with the trigger finger.

There have been some reports of this happening on a few occasions where drawing under pressure and speed was occuring and they consider the holster a liability.

My own thinking is that the holster slows the draw stroke significantly for the skills I train others in, can be missed under stress and is overall a poor idea, though I understand that the retention aspect appeals to many people.

Brownie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Brownie. I have not heard of this before. I will have to pay close attention to this. I wonder what the fix was that BH made. I will send them an E-mail and ask them about this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Brownie

Thank you for the valuable information.
If I had not already been re-thinking my carry holster I probably would after reading this. I do have to say when this holster works as it is suppose to it is sweet.

The holster was suggested to me by the salesman at bass pro shops even though they did not carry it. His credentials seemed quite good- a certified NRA instructor and works as a gun safety trainer for the local sheriff’s department. Certainly anything mechanical can and does fail. Taking that equation out seems prudent when there are plenty of other options.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
When I trained the Air Force Para Rescue [ PJ's ] down in Tuscon this last summer, several were wearing them. They had had one issue with one to date and when I informed them of the problem, they got rid of the rest of them.

The New Mexico state insurance fraud bureau det's were all carrying them, and most of them switched out to another holster after I was out there this fall as well.

It's just a heads up on these holsters for those who might be interested. I understand the redesigned holsters don't suffer from the problem, but I would not personally recommend anyone buy one.

Brownie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brownie,

I sent BH an E-mail about what you were talking about. They said they had problems with the Glock20/21 at one time. I told them I had a Glock 26 and they said they have not had an issues with that weapon.

I am surprised they responded to my question.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts