Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NW FL. We are blessed with an abundant amount of public land to hunt on called Blackwater State Forrest.

I have grown up hunting this land and have taken my fair share of meat and decent antlered deer here! With recent rule and hunting bag limit changes, I was not really in favor of most of them. Main reason is I am a meat hunter. My family of five does not eat beef! It's all venison! It takes approximately 6-7 deer to feed my family for the year! And they put a limit of 5 for the season this year for the first time ever. But my kiddos are old enough to pick up the slack there for the most part.

With that soap box statement out of the way, I took off work this past Thursday after the rain hoping that they would be out chasing their lady friends. My buddy shot a legal buck that morning and we got that one cleaned up and went back out! Got in the tree early around 12:30pm. About 1:45pm I see movement and big antlers. It was a good sized buck with a doe and they were in some thick stuff and I could never get a good clean shot! I think I heard them doing the love dance!

But it got quiet and I never saw them again! About 4:45 rolls around and I see a large antlered deer come out of thick cover and is sprinting across an opening to get to more cover! He was about 80-90 yards away at this time and I took a shot at him running! He wouldn't stop for no noise I made! I think I missed because he didn't act like I hit him. Bolt action cycled and shoot again! I see blood and know he's hit! But he's still on the move! Cycle the bolt on the Remington 700 30-06 again and take another shot! My motto is if they are still moving and I can see them, more lead is going his way!

Buddy came down and I told him where I last saw him! He yells out that he's dead and Holy $KUt, HE'S BIG!!!! I knew he was a good one! But I got down and man he's a good un for sure!

Biggest public land deer ever for me! He crashed just outside my view!

He's at the taxidermist already! Can't wait to proudly display him!

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congrats. Very nice buck. Looks like 150 pounds. Although he is probably run down from chasing does all season.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That’s a fine rack son! Got me some meat on the hoof last week as well! BE47497F-7859-4943-8622-DECA86F2EC87.jpg

She don’t have a place for a rack though ...... was about a 5 yd shot with the 870 spitting 3” 000 mags, 2 of em kinda took the nose cone off the palmetto torpedo!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That’s a fine rack son! Got me some meat on the hoof last week as well! View attachment 65705

She don’t have a place for a rack though ...... was about a 5 yd shot with the 870 spitting 3” 000 mags, 2 of em kinda took the nose cone off the palmetto torpedo!!
They can have bone for a mount though!

Here's one of my hogs I Euro mounted. Had one my daughter killed hydro dipped in her favorite teal color!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,082 Posts
What Rick McD said. Nice buck! That should feed the family for quite a while. :thumsup

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
That is a fine FLorida Buck, congratulations

1 - 11 of 11 Posts