Florida Concealed Carry banner

Bersa Thunder .380

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Hockeynut52 
#1 ·
Anyone here have this pistol?
I had a chance to hold one at the Fort Myers gun show today.

The dealers don't seem to push this pistol but have not seen anything but good reviews on the web. In fact had to look hard to find one.
Seems like a great choice for conceal carry at a bargain price.
I have a S&W MP 9 full size- a little challenging for me to conceal- with a vertical and a weight problem! Wishing now I had bought the M&P conceal model but let salesman talk me out of it!

#3 ·
#4 ·
I currently own one, the concealed carry model, and I have in the past owned two other full size models (sold off to fund the latest and greatest megablaster of that particular week).

Each time I sold one, however, I quickly began to regret doing so, and I ended up buying another.

All have been 100% for me, and they have eaten everything from Buffalo Bore, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, Wally World WWB and my own reloads.

They point naturally and they are easy to shoot well.

In short, I like them. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Although I don't carry the concealed carry model anymore (it's been replaced by a Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm), I will be hanging onto it nonetheless, if for no other reason than wanting to avoid the inevitable regret that follows.

#5 ·
Bersa

I have not owned one but when I worked at a gun store/range we had one in the rental cabinet. In my 2 years there, I never saw it jam or have issues and it was rented almost daily.
I have sold quite a few and the feedback from my customers were great. The only complaint came from operator error: jams due to wrong ammo, putting thumb behind slide, failure to properly clean.
I don't see them as "shooters" but I think they are great for carry as long as the shooter practices w/ it regularly (once a month or so), dry firing, etc, etc.

For the money, you cannot beat it.
A funny story: a customer traded his PPK/S for a Bersa Thunder Stainless. LOL. I was floored. The customer said the PPK/S was too heavy.

If you get a chance to shoot one at a range, go for it. Either you will really like it or you won't.

Cheers!

#6 ·
Bersa - PPK/S

I owned a Walther PPK/S .380 and sold it because it would NOT feed hollow points. The weapon was designed in 1929 and hollow points were not on the radar back then.

I have also owned 2 Bersa .380s and sold them both because of jams. The weapon is perfect for concealed carry because of its size and weight - the jamming lessened my confidence in it as a carry weapon and the ammo is too expensive just for target practice.

Field strip the weapon and you will find a seam where the feed ramp (of the frame) joins the barrel ramp. When I would get a jam, the round would hang up in the ramp seam (leaving a mark) on the bullet nose and then go straight into the top of the receiver. You would think that "fluffing and buffing" would solve this problem, but the metal composition of the ramp is such that too much buffing tends to break down the metal to where it flakes off.

If you are in a gunshop looking at a Bersa .380, ask the proprietor to field strip it for you and use your fingernail to see if the feed ramp seam is significant enough to catch a round and cause a jam,

I like this weapon, BUT .... :)

#7 ·
had one in my hands today in Ft Myers.... looked OK for a cheap gun

#8 ·
I was all hot to buy one. Went to the gun store, removed the slide and checked it out. The one I looked at was crudely assembled and roughly finished. I guess at the time I was looking for something better. I passed.
Many people however have them and swear by them.

#9 ·
I had a Duotone Thunder .380. Absolutely loved that gun. Never a fail to fire , Jam or Fail to eject. I gave it to my Dad for his house. Lifetime Warranty. I would buy another one but recently went to the Ft. Lauderdle gunshow and fell in love with the Taurus PT 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm and just had to buy it. I already own the Mil Pro PT145. Unlimited lifetime warranty. But back to your question, I would definitely buy the Bersa again.:dancingbanana

#10 ·
I know a lot of folks like this gun, so I was all excited when I got to try one out the other day. I liked the way it fit my hand, but I did NOT like shooting it, and did not like the trigger: felt almost sloppy, if that makes any sense. I also got to shoot a Sig 232 at the same time, so maybe that warped my impressions of the Bersa, but it seemed there was almost a night and day difference between the two, with the Sig being a much nicer and easier gun to shoot accurately. I know there's a significant price difference, but still......even though I'm not in the market for a .380, after shooting the Sig, I couldn't imagine buying the Bersa, even if it meant saving up for a couple months.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
My new Bersa

I feel compelled to report how nice my new Bersa Thunder .380 Satin Nickel is.
The finish looks very high quality.
I have read that they have improved the nickel finishing method.
This pistol fire test is dated Dec 10, 2008
So this is right off production line and spent virtually no time on dealer’s shelf.
Unlike some post I have read the delivery condition was extremely clean- little signs of the packing oil mentioned by others even internally including when magazine was taken apart. Dealer may have cleaned up since it was taken to a gun show, I am going to ask.
Here is a photo http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/3157598421_fb87341ebc_o.jpg

#13 ·
I love that pistol. I really was torn when I gave my Dad my Bersa .380 Duotone. Congrats on the new gun. If that is your first , you will fall in love. My only problem with Bersa was the fact that they only give you one Mag and to buy extras cost an arm and a leg. What ever you do, don't buy aftermarket mags like Pro Mag. They will jam up and cause all kinds of misfeeds. Stick to factory mags.

#14 ·
Thanks- I have been reading and some participating at http://bersatalk.com/forums/default.aspx
They are a fine group over there as is this forum

I had some qualms on quality from some things i had read- but mine seems top notch
MHO a bargain at twice the price

#15 ·
I have been a member of Bersa Talk since 2007. Nice bunch of folks but if you even mention another brand of firearm, you will get pounced on. I like to keep an open mind with regards to weapons. If it feels comfortable to you and you shoot well with it, I could care less if it is a $150 highpoint or a $1200 Colt Combat commander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.