Florida Concealed Carry banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
Ha! Well, I would dare NOT to give you self-defense advice, eh? :grin LOL!

Personally, I'm not letting the BG get close enough to me to use a Y-hand response. Or at least I'll TRY to not let him get that close. :) I'm not going to RUN around the car, but I'm going to use it to my advantage as a barrier if possible.

My "advice" was directed more to the "average" person, not a "Brownie-person." ;)
I understood where you were directing your tactics and think it's certainly prudent for the majority of people who'd be approached. Distance directly equates to safety for most.

I'm probably more immune to the approach, working the inner cities for decades and having been approached by panhandlers, bums, druggies, and hookers etc more in a month [ it was a daily occurance in the minority communities I worked for a few years ]. Surprisingly enough, never in the projects though, just on the streets.

They played their game, while I was playing mine, and the less attention I drew while on foot running surveillance the better. I like the gas nozzle as a bludgeon if not turned on yet, and the idea of hosing them down at close range. In either case, a perp has to be close enough, those pumps don't spray but a few feet, one should keep that in mind when discussing that option.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The above comments got me wondering how far does a gasoline nozzle spray. Found a video on Youtube where a gas station attendant scared off a couple of robbers by dousing them. Not in the U.S., but the video shows a substantial stream out to maybe 3 or 4 feet.

https://youtu.be/z02FBpBlXmI?list=TLPQMjUxMTIwMTlTdTACu1SsCQ

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
A gas pump nozzle is one of my favorite improvised weapons. I usually like to throw on a Ronald Reagan mask before deploying it; it scares the bejeezus out of the BGs.

tumblr_n204llBi9p1r21i5xo1_1280.jpg

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
A gas pump nozzle is one of my favorite improvised weapons. I usually like to throw on a Ronald Reagan mask before deploying it; it scares the bejeezus out of the BGs.

View attachment 64995
LOL! Might work even better with a Trump mask today! :grin

·
Registered
9,886 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,317 Posts

View attachment 64995
:rofl Excellent! It's one of my planned improvised weapons as well!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't let criminals dictate where I go. It's a matter of principle. Asked manager why they allow all these people to hang out at their doorstep, no response, Called 7-11 corporate to complain about all the beggars at their stores - no response. Emailed the CEO's office with same complaint - we will see. I try to give my money to business's I respect. you were quick to judge !!
Fair enough and point taken. It seemed given the nature of this thread and by the posts that you were saying you wouldn't go to places like that. It was my mistake, so sincere apologies offered, you have articulated your reasons for your position against them and they are sound.

Wanna meet up for a big gulp, err, I mean Polar Freeze this weekend? :grin

As a side note we had to stop at a Circle K by my house this weekend to grab some oil. As soon as I got out, leaving my wife in the car, I popped the hood. Some younger dude with cammo pants was sitting at a table outside with a bandanna holding up over his face, was not cold out, and wanted to engage in conversation. He just blurts out "at least fifteen people think its a stray" in reference to some kitten he had that I could not see. I breezed by and just said "thats great" and went inside to get my oil. Coming out he was still seated, and I was aware, as soon as I crossed I heard him stand up, and I made my approach to car wider and looked right at him. He finished coming around table bench, fumbled with his pants a bit, looking discombobulated and scampered into the store. I am pretty sure he was expecting me to walk up to my car and pop the hood to start putting the oil in. Nope, I got right in my car with hood latch popped but hood still down and drove across the street to put the oil in. His intentions could have been just to panhandle me, but never know, so always best to play it safe.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Fair enough and point taken. It seemed given the nature of this thread and by the posts that you were saying you wouldn't go to places like that. It was my mistake, so sincere apologies offered, you have articulated your reasons for your position against them and they are sound.

:thumsup

·
Super Moderator
26,317 Posts
This incident the other day started with asking for a few dollars. I have a pretty good handle on my anger, BUT this one would be a real test of my self control !

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2019/11/25/man-beats-carjacks-92-year-old-woman-deputies-say/
Angers me too. A 19 y/o male attacking a 92 y/o female, beating her in the head several times. She's lucky he didn't kill her! :mad: Law Enforcement did a great job tracking the perp and his accomplice down. :clap

·
Registered
20,251 Posts
More importantly, use your car as a barrier. As the potential perp approaches, you simply move AROUND the car, keeping it between you and the "beggar." A bad guy will try to get closer by moving around the car (as you move around). An actual beggar won't do that.

Use a command voice, ordering the "person of interest" to STOP. Do not come closer! Any continued approach is a BAD sign.

Don't let him get close. Move! If you are forced to... consider a force continuum, including pepper spray... and then??? Do what ya gotta do to protect yourself.

I agree that I would NOT use the car alarm. They are considered an annoying "false alarm." They get the attention of NOBODY. But, a command of "STOP! Don't come any closer!" WILL get attention. A blaring car alarm will not only be ignored, it could drown out your voice commands or pleas for help. Don't use the silly car alarm, folks.
i would not move unless they presented me with a reason to need cover...i believe one of the strongest deterrents is a steady glare, verbal que and confident posture that lets them know they are going somewhere they dont want to go...retreat is an invitation and indication of fear to a criminal...

as far as a 30 year old beating a 92 year old woman...are there really people who think that a criminal cares who they are robbing and/or beating?..their end goal is taking something they dont own and the weaker the victim the more tempting it is to them...a truckload of toys for tots isnt any different than a wallet on the ground to them...they dont care where its from or where its going...only that it will be theirs...they are indifferent to anything except possible resistance...

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
i would not move unless they presented me with a reason to need cover...i believe one of the strongest deterrents is a steady glare, verbal que and confident posture that lets them know they are going somewhere they dont want to go...retreat is an invitation and indication of fear to a criminal....
I don't see it as retreat at all. And, it's not cover nor concealment. They can still see you. :) Retreating would be turning and running. Which is not necessarily a bad idea for many people. The best way to win a fight is to not be there.

It's the smart use of DISTANCE and a simple barrier. The WORST thing I can think of doing is NOT MOVING. Holy moly. Let them close the distance?? Out of what? PRIDE?? Bravado? Tueller would not agree with that, either. Let them get within striking, grappling, or stabbing distance? No freakin' way. Sorry, but I could not disagree more.

Putting the car between me and the suspected perp is also an effective test of his intent. If he proceeds to approach me AROUND the car, it's Condition Red time. An innocent beggar or person seeking directions to a destination isn't going to do that.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
The above comments got me wondering how far does a gasoline nozzle spray. Found a video on Youtube where a gas station attendant scared off a couple of robbers by dousing them. Not in the U.S., but the video shows a substantial stream out to maybe 3 or 4 feet.

https://youtu.be/z02FBpBlXmI?list=TLPQMjUxMTIwMTlTdTACu1SsCQ
3-4 feet seems about right. Bad breath distance. Gotta let em get close enough for that tactic to be effective. Unless just spilling gas on the ground as a possible deterrent, but that seems fraught with personal dangers to me.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
Wonder what dousing a beggar, proven to be unarmed and in the absence of physical disparity in his favor, would bring to the armed license holder in terms of grief? :dunno. I would be very careful of that tactic unless under attack instead of simply being annoyed.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The Authorities that know way more then any of us would just tell you to give them your wallet and toss them the keys to the vehicle and "NOT" confront the thief.
This is very good advice from the people that know.
:rofl
Well, Not really funny because the people giving this advise actually thinks this is a good idea.
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
as far as a 30 year old beating a 92 year old woman...are there really people who think that a criminal cares who they are robbing and/or beating?..their end goal is taking something they dont own and the weaker the victim the more tempting it is to them...
Exactly. They don't think like most of us do. And one of the worst mistakes you can make in dealing with them is imagining, even for just a moment, that they do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off". :rolf

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off". :rolf
WOW! Seriously? LOL!

Yeah... and here are the keys to my house, too. :rolleyes:

PS... we were in the Navy the same time frame. Where were you stationed?

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
Wonder what dousing a beggar, proven to be unarmed and in the absence of physical disparity in his favor, would bring to the armed license holder in terms of grief? :dunno. I would be very careful of that tactic unless under attack instead of simply being annoyed.
I'd use it as a force continuum at the same level of OC.

·
Registered
352 Posts
WOW! Seriously? LOL!

Yeah... and here are the keys to my house, too. :rolleyes:

PS... we were in the Navy the same time frame. Where were you stationed?
Yes, this really happened. As much as I was in disbelief, I've had a good laugh and told the story to several friends a few times....lol

I was stationed out of Norfolk on the U.S.S. Lawrence (DDG-4) and the U.S.S. Puget Sound (AD-38).

141 - 160 of 177 Posts