Florida Concealed Carry banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Says the 7-11 was on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando, depending on where it was, not the best area to stop after dark. Ill stop at a convenience store after dark in a decent neighborhood.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Doesn't matter where in Orlando its located. There have been multiple shootings at 7-11's lately, even in the tourist district in the daytime. They allow beggars and others to hang out in front. There was a car jacking last week at one. They won't get my business again.

·
Registered
20,263 Posts
Have you never had a late night craving for one of their cheeseburger hotdogs?

I’ve stayed away from convenience stores after dark for years now..... I’d hate to waste my expensive SD ammo on the perps that hang out there at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
using something for what is was purchased for is never a waste...but in this type of case a shame...

·
Registered
20,263 Posts
Another aggressive beggar today! In the Whole Foods parking lot, of all places. Big guy, younger, 6'3" or so, probably 225lbs, surely a drug user ( looked it ). I saw him to my side, 20ft away and was walking past him. He started addressing me and all I heard was " need change". I kept walking and then I heard in an angry voice " Oh, another one of those, you probably go to church too" I wanted to turn around and confront him, but not worth it. Lots of traffic at this Whole Foods on Sand Lake rd, and it took awhile to get out of parking lot and into the traffic. I then saw him approaching cars in traffic and again being aggressive with cars stopped at lights. I called it in and reported him for aggressive behavior so others would not have to put up with it.

Opinions!
familiar with that area on sand lake road as i spend a week there every summer training...the whole area is a hotbed of diversity...

in my opinion, a perfect opportunity to let him know that he may want to start going to church also and that they have programs to help people in his situation so they dont have to beg for assistance...

i dont know how anyone can not look another in the eye when approached...my initial glance is always friendly and i will strike up a conversation with anyone..if it doesnt look like its going to be productive i will explain nicely they need to move on with a progression toward "walk away" with a body language emphasis on 'while you can' ...i am not one to avoid making enough noise to draw a significant amount of attention either...while filling my tank at the local a guy started charging and screaming at another for cutting him off at a pump he said he was waiting for (interesting as they both pulled up to pumps a lane away from each other at the same time...i made enough of a comotion shutting him down to bring almost every guy at the pumps toward the screamer telling him to walk away, stop wasting more of his own time and pump the gas he was in such a hurry to get to...which he did post haste while his wife begged him to come back to the car (i'm guessing she wanted him whole)...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Doesn't matter where in Orlando its located. There have been multiple shootings at 7-11's lately, even in the tourist district in the daytime. They allow beggars and others to hang out in front. There was a car jacking last week at one. They won't get my business again.
Birds sometimes poop while flying. Said poop could land on you. Do you not go outdoors because you don’t want a bird to poop on you? Several churches have had shootings at them, do you no longer go to church because of it? How about your kids going to school? With the amount of school shootings I guess the same logic means you home school?

We might as well all buy homes in the projects with that line of reasoning, we will save a whole bunch of money, and why not? I mean, bad things happen in good neighborhoods too. See you at 22nd and MLK Blvd, neighbor. 🙂

·
Registered
9,887 Posts

·
Registered
20,263 Posts
Prior to our marriage, I had to explain to my wife that 7-11 was a perfectly acceptable restaurant selection when going out to eat. :grin

-on Tapatalk
just stay away from the sushi...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Birds sometimes poop while flying. Said poop could land on you. Do you not go outdoors because you don’t want a bird to poop on you? Several churches have had shootings at them, do you no longer go to church because of it? How about your kids going to school? With the amount of school shootings I guess the same logic means you home school?

We might as well all buy homes in the projects with that line of reasoning, we will save a whole bunch of money, and why not? I mean, bad things happen in good neighborhoods too. See you at 22nd and MLK Blvd, neighbor. ��
I don't let criminals dictate where I go. It's a matter of principle. Asked manager why they allow all these people to hang out at their doorstep, no response, Called 7-11 corporate to complain about all the beggars at their stores - no response. Emailed the CEO's office with same complaint - we will see. I try to give my money to business's I respect. you were quick to judge !!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Prior to our marriage, I had to explain to my wife that 7-11 was a perfectly acceptable restaurant selection when going out to eat. :grin

-on Tapatalk
When I met my wife, I had a little condominium maybe 100 yards walk from a 7-11. We dated then married living there. A pretty regular walk up there for late night munchies or even a breakfast. I’ve teased her for years now that the first place I took her to eat was that 7-11 for nachos a rollerdog (I was a fan of the squished cuban sandwiches) after watching movies at my place one night. :rofl

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Their Cubans are awesome! :grin

Had one near our beach cottage before, so I totally get it! :thumsup

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts

-on Tapatalk
When my wife met me, I was eating 2 out of 3 meals a day at Wawa.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sams Club and get two hot dogs, two drinks and two slices of pizza for a total of $7.44.
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
To get back on the subject,
Tell your wife or any other loved one that when they stop to get gas.
DAY or NIGHT
KEEP THE KEY "FOB" IN THEIR HAND TO SET OFF THE CAR ALARM IF ANYONE COMES TO CLOSE FOR ANY REASON.
Not as good as a gun but better then nothing at all.
Ronnie

·
Registered
20,263 Posts
DAY or NIGHT
KEEP THE KEY "FOB" IN THEIR HAND TO SET OFF THE CAR ALARM IF ANYONE COMES TO CLOSE FOR ANY REASON.
Ronnie
i hardly think anyone would draw a gun because someone got to close...as effective as the car horn might be they are ignored just about everywhere today...i would be inclined to believe a loud scream or command would draw more attention...

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
DAY or NIGHT
Ronnie
i hardly think anyone would draw a gun because someone got to close...as effective as the car horn might be they are ignored just about everywhere today...i would be inclined to believe a loud scream or command would draw more attention...
More importantly, use your car as a barrier. As the potential perp approaches, you simply move AROUND the car, keeping it between you and the "beggar." A bad guy will try to get closer by moving around the car (as you move around). An actual beggar won't do that.

Use a command voice, ordering the "person of interest" to STOP. Do not come closer! Any continued approach is a BAD sign.

Don't let him get close. Move! If you are forced to... consider a force continuum, including pepper spray... and then??? Do what ya gotta do to protect yourself.

I agree that I would NOT use the car alarm. They are considered an annoying "false alarm." They get the attention of NOBODY. But, a command of "STOP! Don't come any closer!" WILL get attention. A blaring car alarm will not only be ignored, it could drown out your voice commands or pleas for help. Don't use the silly car alarm, folks.

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
More importantly, use your car as a barrier. As the potential perp approaches, you simply move AROUND the car, keeping it between you and the "beggar." A bad guy will try to get closer by moving around the car (as you move around). An actual beggar won't do that.

Use a command voice, ordering the "person of interest" to STOP. Do not come closer! Any continued approach is a BAD sign.

Don't let him get close. Move! If you are forced to... consider a force continuum, including pepper spray... and then??? Do what ya gotta do to protect yourself.

I agree that I would NOT use the car alarm. They are considered an annoying "false alarm." They get the attention of NOBODY. But, a command of "STOP! Don't come any closer!" WILL get attention. A blaring car alarm will not only be ignored, it could drown out your voice commands or pleas for help. Don't use the silly car alarm, folks.
Unless there's two of them, and depending on how I size them up physically, I want to allow them to get just close enough where any abhorrent behavior brings a Y hand response, which will end their abhorrent behavior.

Running around my car/truck/motorcycle while yelling to get someone's attention is not in the cards for me. I'll stay where the hose can be used as a bludgeon and if it's started pumping, as a distance deterrent. Don't carry oc/mace, nor will I consider it as part of my force continuum.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Unless there's two of them, and depending on how I size them up physically, I want to allow them to get just close enough where any abhorrent behavior brings a Y hand response, which will end their abhorrent behavior.

Running around my car/truck/motorcycle while yelling to get someone's attention is not in the cards for me. I'll stay where the hose can be used as a bludgeon and if it's started pumping, as a distance deterrent. Don't carry oc/mace, nor will I consider it as part of my force continuum.
Ha! Well, I would dare NOT to give you self-defense advice, eh? :grin LOL!

Personally, I'm not letting the BG get close enough to me to use a Y-hand response. Or at least I'll TRY to not let him get that close. :) I'm not going to RUN around the car, but I'm going to use it to my advantage as a barrier if possible.

My "advice" was directed more to the "average" person, not a "Brownie-person." ;)

121 - 140 of 177 Posts