Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list of suggested readings regarding CCW and self defense. I looked up in Amazon and the only name I recognized was Mr. Ayoob. I would like to avoid books with bad advice if possible.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
IMVHO, a lot of gun/ammo/defense publications have a hidden agenda of selling you something, yet many have some good information.

As in life, our defensive needs and capabilities are diverse. Unfortunately, what might be good for me might not be for you, and vice-versa. I read a lot and have to sort through the garbage to find the gems. You need to decide for yourself what is garbage and what is a gem.

My $0.02

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Try Jim Cirillo
JIM CIRILLO: MODERN DAY GUNFIGHTER

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Gunfighting by a Guy Who Put His Life on the Line to Find Out

Author: Jim Cirillo

Learn the gunfighting secrets that helped NYPD Stakeout Squad veteran Jim Cirillo prevail in more than a dozen gunfights with New York City's most vicious criminals and hear the stories of these amazing encounters as only he can tell them. For academic study only. Color, approx. 95 min.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I also bought another book called The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette haven't gotten to it yet but its next after i finish Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter by Jim Cirillo so far pretty good read.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not specifically a book on self defense, but definitely a book every Concealed Carrier should have.

FLORIDA FIREARMS
Law, Use & Ownership

Sixth Edition

The Authoritative Guide that explains Florida & Federal Laws on Firearms, Weapons, and Self-Defense issues

By: Jon H. Gutmacher, ESQ.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Drbarbara,

One of my absolute favorite things to do is to go to Barnes & Noble or Borders (or similar bookstore), pick out several magazines or books, get a large coffee, and find a comfortable seat. If what you read is interesting and you find it valuable then buy it to finish reading or for reference. I like the try it before you buy it method.

People there are also interesting. I saw one older gentleman sitting at a table reading. He had on one of those safari/photographer's vests. I stared at him for a minute trying to determine if he had a gun hidden in there somewhere. He looked up and caught me. I just sorta nodded and he had a wry smile as if he knew what I was thinking. Ya just never know....

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
In my opinion it is imperative that a Concealed Weapon License holder know the Florida law of Justifiable Use of Force.

This is the letter of the law which tells you what is legal and what is not when it comes to who, what, when, where, how, why and IF it is justifiable to use your weapon against another. :thumsup

http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0776/titl0776.htm&StatuteYear=2008&Title=%2D%3E2008%2D%3EChapter%20776

The 2008 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

CHAPTER 776

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.

776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.

776.031 Use of force in defense of others.

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.

776.041 Use of force by aggressor.

776.05 Law enforcement officers; use of force in making an arrest.

776.051 Use of force in resisting arrest or making an arrest or in the execution of a legal duty; prohibition.

776.06 Deadly force.

776.07 Use of force to prevent escape.

776.08 Forcible felony.

776.085 Defense to civil action for damages; party convicted of forcible or attempted forcible felony.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the Gravest Extreme by Ayoob
Living With Terrorism by Linett
Life Without Fear by Dalton and Fowler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts