Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a place in Florida since 2009, By the end of the year, I hope to make the transition by becoming a Florida resident. I will maintain a summer home in Michigan.

I‘ve have a Michigan conceal carry permit, have it for some time. and will like to ask how difficult the process is here. I live in Pinellas County when in florida.

I thought I would start here to gain any insight into the process here in Florida- and so I can avoid any pit falls. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Get a Florida Non Resident CCW.
There's no difference from a resident permit except the address it's registered to. When you move go on line and change it to a resident permit.

AFS

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
AFS is correct. Florida makes no distinction between residency in Florida. It’s simply a license to carry. Period. Doesn’t matter where you live. Generally speaking, if you can legally buy and possess a firearm, you can get a Florida license.

The distinction comes into play in regard to reciprocity in other states. A few states will only recognize a Florida license to carry within that state provided you are a resident of Florida. But your license and mine (I’m in Texas) are identical to the folks who live in Florida otherwise.

Florida doesn’t care what you own or where it is.

·
Super Moderator
28,418 Posts
You should already meet the training requirement for applying in Florida and your MI permit is good for carry in Florida for 90 days after you establish Florida residency. What others have said is mostly true but it's a bit more complicated than "Florida doesn't care . . ." or that the "Permits are identical to what they issue to out of state residents;" they look identical and in Florida are treated as such for most things, but there are a couple of issues that might come up [have to look in Florida and Federal laws that are affected by state of residence (e.g. 1,000 yards of a school, etc.)].

Regardless, there is no address that appears on a Florida Concealed Weapons or Firearms Permit (CWFL) and there is no such thing as a Florida "Resident" or "Non-resident" CWFL, only resident/non-resident privileges in other states that recognize a Florida CWFL. For example, if you're official state of residency is not Florida, then South Carolina does not recognize a Florida CWFL for concealed carry within SC and for every trip I used to make regularly through SC on I-95, I would have to remove the weapon from my person and put it in the center console until I crossed into a neighboring state that did.

Even though there is no address shown on a CWFL, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Customer Service (DOACS) that issues the CWFL does associate the address in the state where you reside in their database and if you change addresses to a Florida residence, all you have to do is go to the DOACS website and fill out the form to change it to your new address.

Sorry this was so long and hope it helps!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
What I mean by “Florida doesn’t care...” is in the sense that owning property in Florida isn’t a requirement to obtain a license. I know people in just about all quadrants of the country with a Florida license. Even a couple idiots living in California and New York. (They’re family, I can get away with calling them that. :LOL: )

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had a Florida carry license when I lived in New Jersey so I could carry in Pennsylvania. Until they changed the reciprocity law. When I moved to Florida I just changed my address online.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A non resident license is the solution. After moving to NY so my wife and I could be with my mother in law for the remaining couple of years of her life, I obtained a NY non restricted carry permit and a non resident Florida license till we eventually moved back to Florida. After moving back.....established Fl residency and converted the non resident into a reg license at the DMV.

·
Super Moderator
28,418 Posts
A non resident license is the solution. After moving to NY so my wife and I could be with my mother in law for the remaining couple of years of her life, I obtained a NY non restricted carry permit and a non resident Florida license till we eventually moved back to Florida. After moving back.....established Fl residency and converted the non resident into a reg license at the DMV.
That bolded refers to your FL Driver's License, correct? Or did you mean you changed your address with DOACS for your FL CWFL at the DMV? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
The posts above cover almost all of the differences between a license held by a resident v non-resident. The only one I think we missed was the requirement for fingerprints for renewal. A Florida resident does not need to submit fingerprints for a renewal, a non-resident does.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
28,418 Posts
The posts above cover almost all of the differences between a license held by a resident v non-resident. The only one I think we missed was the requirement for fingerprints for renewal. A Florida resident does not need to submit fingerprints for a renewal, a non-resident does.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that AND in accordance with Chapter 790.06(5)(c), a full set of fingerprints of the applicant must be "administered by a law enforcement agency or the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services or an approved tax collector pursuant to s. 790.0625." See the DOACS website for more info: Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

1 - 10 of 10 Posts