Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,
I've been thinking, (that explains the burning insulation/hot dust smell in the neighborhood, in case you were wondering)

We have all these sweet young innocents buying guns in panic and raising prices (Shooters of Jax is advertising the SWaMPy Optics Ready with red dot sight for $800 vs. the $500 or $600 during recent sales) but has anyone addressed the basic necessities that go with a personal battery?

In the ancient days of the last century, my basic military load was an M-16A1 Rifle, 7-20 round magazines with two - three magazine pouches on a web belt with shoulder straps and a type specific cleaning kit with LSA in a small nylon pouch (with the addition of a small shaving brush for that Drill Sergeant immortalized "Wet NOT White" look.)

When asked by a nephew a decade or so agone, I recommended an AR rifle, the SWaMPy Sport I (Yes, I own one) a minimum of 5 - 30 round magazines, something to carry 5 or 6 magazines on your person. A small moderately sized 9mm pistol (He already had a Glock 19) with at least 5 magazines and a good holster and a mag carrier for one and another for two magazines. Add a compact cleaning kit for .223 and 9mm / .38 special and he would be good to go. I also recommended 1K rounds of XM-193 5.56mm ammo and 1K rounds of 115 gr 9mm ball ammo and 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr HP ammo.

With the incredible level of knowledge that comes with vast experience (usually with YouTube (TM) posties.) Now days I would recommend the SWaMPy Sport 2 or Optics Ready and a single stack 9mm SWaMPy Shield with the short and long magazines.

What are your thoughts, thunks and opinions?

Geoff
Who is isolated, un-rangeable and bored.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
G19 with a spare mag (that will probably never get used in the average SD scenario) is probably fine for most.

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Agree! An EDC handgun and spare mag(s) will do for most. For me, I'm also not without an edged weapon or two, as well! :pistols

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I’d say that would be adequate for each adult in the household. SIG makes a decent red dot (Romeo 5) for not a lot of money, if you could find one, that would be a good addition to the AR. The Ruger AR556 would be a decent substitute for the S&W rifle and any 9mm from a decent maker (Glock, Sig, Ruger, FN, etc.) would sub for the S&W M&P pistol. I’d also recommend one 18” cylinder bored 12 gauge pump shotgun per family with 50 rounds of #4 buck, 50 rounds of 00 buck and 50 rounds of rifled slugs if they could afford it.

I also like BHs idea of an edged weapon. I’d consider a Ka-Bar 1213 to be ideal for a fixed blade knife and almost any Kershaw folder adequate for a pocket carry knife.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
My daily load out?

Shield 45acp, spare mag, two knives [ SAK and a straight ], Keltec sub2K with 4 33 rd mags in former water bladder pack [ stays in truck and sometimes donned depending on where I'm going ], a flashlight.

Three rifles of choice for worst case scenario load out?

Sks, 300 rds on stripper clips in a chinese chest rig or the M1a with tac vest holding 6 20 rd mags of 762x51 or the Tavor with same chest rig used with the M1a [ just swap mags out ].

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
I'm not planning for a "load-OUT." I'm planning for a "load-IN." The BEST place I can be is in my own home or "fortress," if you will. :)

The LAST place I want to be (with my family, mind you) is OUT THERE when the SHTF.

Nope. I'll hunker down. And, if I can see you, you're in range.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Load out for SHTF scenarios? That's not the question I thought was asked.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Especially now! While we are stuck in place. Glock 19 4th Gen TruGlo night sights. In the house, track pants. G19 in right pant's pocket. Cell phone in left. Jeep lives in the garage, always full tank.

Dressed and tooled up. G19, spare G17 mag, surefire light also on belt. Folding knife, Benchmade sharp as a razor. It has a glass breaker and seat belt cutter.
In an earlier life, working as a Bouncer on Liverpool night clubs, 5 years 1960 till 1965. I have been stabbed twice. Very aware of blades.

We have a new, very effective alarm system. Arm and disarm with on belt remotes. 511 pants, I used to look like an off duty cop. (my friends said) In 1980, when I bought my first pair, at the FBI Academy. As that is all I wear and have worn them in the UK, Italy, Austria, Ireland and now every day in Florida? I just look like every other male. 511s are the best, but everybody makes them now. In 1980 I opened my training Company. In Orlando Canada, ran it for 25 years. Trained approximately 500 students per annum.

When you have lived in Canada for 36 years, not armed. Being armed every day in Florida. Is a comfortable feeling. Carrying a handgun is not because you want, or might use it against another human being. It falls under the catalogue of "Just in case" But if you only carry, now and again? You might as be unarmed.

My wife ordered a grocery order yesterday at 10 AM from Cosco. It came an hour early at 5 pm!
Delivered to the front door. No cost. Love Cosco.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
loadout. Noun. (plural loadouts) (originally military) The set of objects to be carried into battle; all that one needs for a specific purpose.

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
I keep a Shockwave with 2 full reloads of 00 buck and a Shield .45 in the truck, along with a Kbar, tazer, sap and pepper spray, and a Cold Steel City stick in the three pocket zippered hanging gun case hanging behind the seats. A double barreled coach gun with a bando of 00 buck for the female unit in her cave, and a Ruger AR556 with Aimpoint Pro in my room, along with the safe full of 1911's, revolvers, bolt rifles, shotguns and lever guns, along with ammo boxes full in my closet. Also sleep with either a Wilson or Kimber 1911 on the nightstand by my rack. On top of the safe are a Street Bowie, along with an ESEE4 and Kbar last ditch GTFO me knife..switchblade and small gunbox with a pistol of the day reside on my computer desk. Oh yeah, and Muttley, the idiot dog my son has,who runs out in front of Artemis's car when she comes home in the mornings :rofl

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
Same here. Because "beginners" and "loadout" (utilizing Racer's definition) do not belong in the same sentence.

I'd tell the newb to get comfortable and proficient with a CCW weapon first, and move on from there.

But perhaps 'beginner' in this context has a different meaning, too.

:dunno

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
loadout. Noun. (plural loadouts) (originally military) The set of objects to be carried into battle; all that one needs for a specific purpose.
:laughing Guess I should've seen that coming. Yeah, from Wiktionary and other online dictionaries using it as a source, but from Merriam-Webster or Oxford English dictionaries, not so much. Guess they're behind the times? Regardless, if the OP was talking about going off to battle, that's a different kettle of fish than merely being ready to defend one's self while out shopping to resupply the household. :grin

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I made T-shirts for the little lady and myself to wear that read “gun and violence free zones”. We will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Beer Hunter, that glass you show? Looks like it is full of Guinness. Brings back memories of an Irish stew, in a Pub near Dublin. And after the required 3 minutes to pour! The pint is placed on a fresh coaster. I can taste it now.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me be more blunt and less comical.
What would you recommend to an innocent, buying first guns and accessories for immediate defense in the home or if legal on the street in a limited manner.
I know the usual suspects around here are armed to the teeth and their spouses will be reloading and calling the Police, while they are deciding on a caliber.
Geoff
Whose wife contributed the last line.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
^^^That's the way I first read it.

Back to my original answer. G19 and a spare mag.

Learn that. When ready, come back for lesson two. :grin

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Same here. Only addition is I would advise a newbie that for defense of home, also buy a decent shotgun and stock up on #4 buckshot. Then spend time and money with a good trainer learning how to use both handgun and shottie.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts