Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and just began carrying, I'm looking for some no-carry location clarification. Can one carry in a bank, a regular bank not a federal reserve that is government run obviously? Do I really need permission from the bank manager to enter with a concealed weapon? Will I get in arrested if I choose not to tell anyone and conceal a weapon anyways if I do not get permission first? I was told I needed permission by several police officer friends I know but do not see that fact in the Florida statutes. The instructor in my ccw class expressly stated that one can carry a concealed weapon in a bank as long as it's not a federal financial institution, otherwise, it's just considered a regular business like K-Mart and one can therefore enter without worry as long as the weapon is not visible. He also stated this is common knowledge among bank employees, they understand many customers enter banks while carrying. I've had many conflicting answers from authoritative sources and the laws are obviously not too clear on this matter.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Don't confuse the word "Federal" in a bank's name as being a federal facility. With rare exception, you can carry into a bank.

As with all places where you carry which are otherwise legal (i.e., not on the prohibited list) if asked to leave you must leave or you are trespassing.

Here is the list (it is available online)
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Your police buddies are incorrect. Banks are just a business.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, read the statute and it does not specify banks as a no carry location however, considering the conflicting answers I received from my police officer friends and ccw instructor is where I'm unclear on the matter. The instructor stated the same thing you said however, three police officers said otherwise. Has anyone ever been arrested for carrying a concealed weapon into a bank?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yep, read the statute and it does not specify banks as a no carry location however, considering the conflicting answers I received from my police officer friends and ccw instructor is where I'm unclear on the matter. The instructor stated the same thing you said however, three police officers said otherwise. Has anyone ever been arrested for carrying a concealed weapon into a bank?
We can only go by the statutes which is what I copied/pasted in my reply.
You will hear tons of misinformation from "well meaning" people -- you just need to get used to it. That's one of the great things about this forum ... I've learned to go look at the statutes.

Instead of asking if anybody's ever been arrested, it would be more constructive to ask if it is a crime and it is not.

Note however my clarification in my original response ... if you don't conceal properly (which would be your fault) or you say something about carrying (which would also be your fault) and you are asked to leave (this applies to ALL businesses, not just banks) you must leave immediately or you are trespassing and it is an armed trespass if you're carrying.

Summary: your buddies are wrong. The statutes are right.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
As you just saw the best answer you will recieve is as Sig gave you an answer backed by a FL Statute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. My police buddies must be looking at things from a different angle, their police perspective. Being that it's obviously not a crime to concealed carry in a bank, I still wonder if anyone has ever been "mistakingly arrested" for carrying into a bank. Again, I'm new to concealed carry, I've been carrying since Tuesday of last week and just fear making a stupid mistake on things that are unclear. My ccw instructor offered to sell me a book by an attorney that better describes Florida ccw laws for $30, I'm calling him back to buy the damn thing because everyone seems to continually refer to it. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
That book (by Jon Gutmacher) is a great investment ... pretty much everybody on this forum owns a copy.
Go to any gun store and you'll likely see they offer it for sale ... buy it.

Note that your police buddies are like all buddies ... it's not that they're looking at things from any particular angle, they just don't know.

Send them the link ... let them see the Florida Statutes. Nobody can know everything.

The book can also be purchased online: http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Police officers dont know every law off the top of their heads anymore than a mechanic knows about every engine ever made, thats why lawyers offices are packed with books ! Many officers dont know where you can & cant carry open or concealed, they are going to assume on the NO carry side to not be called to bail you out if it was illegal ! Thats why when these organizations put on open carry events they inform the local PD's,cause alot of them dont know the stautes on every acute part. My bank knows I carry in it & they are fine with it, I shoot with the managers husband :grin

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
trigger: I just realized this was your very first post -- welcome -- please head over to the new members area and post a little intro so we can all properly welcome you here

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My police buddies must be looking at things from a different angle, their police perspective. Being that it's obviously not a crime to concealed carry in a bank, I still wonder if anyone has ever been "mistakingly arrested" for carrying into a bank. Again, I'm new to concealed carry, I've been carrying since Tuesday of last week and just fear making a stupid mistake on things that are unclear. My ccw instructor offered to sell me a book by an attorney that better describes Florida ccw laws for $30, I'm calling him back to buy the damn thing because everyone seems to continually refer to it. Again, thanks!
The police officers are technically correct. A bank is private property and therefor, you have to have the management's permission to do anything on the property. However, as the bank is a business to which an invitation to the public to enter and do business is implied, you do not have to acquire pre-approval to enter with a legally carried firearm. If the management should discover that you are armed, they can order you to leave and any refusal to do so could result in your arrest. There is no state statute which makes it a crime to simply enter a bank with a legally carried firearm. This does not mean that you will not find your self proned out and temporarily detained if it becomes known that you are armed inside the bank.

Now, this is something that I always caution people about, even though nearly everyone here argues with me about it; signage. Signage can constitute written notification of the revocation of the implied invitation to enter the business. The basic no firearms signs very probably lack the necessary verbiage to constitute a legal notification of the revocation of invitation for a person armed with a firearm and the intent of the management to prosecute that individual for trespass if entry into the premises is made while in possession of a firearm. Now you won't have any trouble telling the difference between the sign having no legal force and the one which may. The latter will be much longer in length and will stipulate that violators will be prosecuted for trespass and it may even include a statute number. I have not encountered such a sign in Florida, but things change, so look for the signs before entering.

So realistically, in Florida, you can legally carry inside most, if not all, commercial banks and credit unions. Unless you are notified, verbally, that you may not and must leave.

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
I'm new to this forum and just began carrying, I'm looking for some no-carry location clarification. Can one carry in a bank, a regular bank not a federal reserve that is government run obviously? Do I really need permission from the bank manager to enter with a concealed weapon? Will I get in arrested if I choose not to tell anyone and conceal a weapon anyways if I do not get permission first? I was told I needed permission by several police officer friends I know but do not see that fact in the Florida statutes. The instructor in my ccw class expressly stated that one can carry a concealed weapon in a bank as long as it's not a federal financial institution, otherwise, it's just considered a regular business like K-Mart and one can therefore enter without worry as long as the weapon is not visible. He also stated this is common knowledge among bank employees, they understand many customers enter banks while carrying. I've had many conflicting answers from authoritative sources and the laws are obviously not too clear on this matter.
cops are not the ones to get your legal advice from.
the only federal bank that you can't carry in are federal reserve banks, and 99.9% of the population will never step foot in a federal reserve bank. In FLA there is no law against carrying inside a bank but like any business or private property the owner can ask you to leave and you must comply or face an armed trespass charge. Never argue your rights if asked to leave, just comply and all will be well.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
As you see you can carry in a bank. Retail outlets are targets. While you are not likely to be arrested for carrying you are likely to be shot. In an officer related event, keep you hands AWAY from your gun.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
In my years here I have no memory of anyone getting arrested, proned or otherwise from bank carry or carrying in any business or any post referred to refusing to leave after being asked & getting arrested for it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I nearly always carry when I go to the bank. I can only think of ONE time I did not. *Story follows*

I entered the bank at 2 minutes to closing time. I needed to make a withdrawal from my checking account, because I had left my wallet at home. (No ATM card, no driver's license, no credit card, nada.)

So I walked up to the teller and handed her the one piece of ID I never leave home without - because it's in my spare magazine holster - my CCW. Since I never leave home without my everyday carry gun, the mag holster (with spare mag, folding pocket knife, and CCW) always goes with me.

As I handed her my CCW (being the only form of ID in my possession) I apologized for not having any other form of ID and told her the items to which the license pertained were secured in my car.

She took one look at the CCW, asked why a CCW licensee would EVER enter a bank unarmed, then calmly proceeded to verify my identity by asking if I could recite my ATM card number, bank account number and date of birth. Then she slid me my cash and told me next time not to bother leaving it in the car.

Go, Bank of America! LOL!

·
Registered
747 Posts
concealed carry means concealed carry. If you're carrying correctly no one will ever know unless you tell them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts