Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the mobs that are becoming more common who are harassing bystanders and riots that seem to start without much warning, has anyone decided to start carrying a backpack gun. I recently built a AR pistol that fits in a backpack or tennis racket bag. I haven't started carrying it with me. Is this something others have considered?

Reactions: spyguy

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
My backpack gun is a Keltec sub2k that takes glock mags. 4 loaded 31 round mags with the 5th flush 17 rd in the gun, no round chambered [ of course as it folds up ]. That's 141 rds at the ready.

I've been carrying mine in and out of the truck for the last 5 months or so. Way to go Andy, forethought goes a long way in staying upright and "in the fight"

·
Super Moderator
28,403 Posts
For me, considered, yes; Carried, no. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I recently posted a couple of rifles for sale (SKS and Mosin), as I don't shoot them, and intend to roll the funds over into an AR pistol precisely for the reason you mention. I already have a nice backpack for this purpose -- just no AR pistol, yet.

An internet search suggests there is nothing available at the moment. Got my eye on a couple of interesting options, when they become available.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What is the point of a backpack gun if you're already carrying a sidearm?

AD

·
Registered
6,634 Posts

AD
In a mob situation, most sidearms have round limitations. A BPG will be to hold off the herd if need be as well as shock n’ awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: spyguy

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
^^That's my thought as well.

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Deadeye

That’s the real deal. Those original pieces are gold.
Actually, it's one of the modern reproductions by Samson Manufacturing. But it uses all the original tooling from the Ruger factory folders. The only real difference between these and the originals is that they use walnut instead of birch and the pistol grips are made from polymer instead of the original Bakelite. I ordered mine directly from Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

AD
Generally what Caleb and LittleGator said. Crowd control in a mob situation. I also have been thinking of it as a car gun that I can take with me. My AR pistol fits perfectly in an old tennis racquet bag I have. It also fits in a couple of different backpacks. One looks too tactical to carry around and not be noticed. The other looks like a camping bag. I've been thinking of getting a computer bag with a deep enough pocket to carry it as well.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I have an older 5.11 backpack that is tacticool only on the interior, outside looks like a school backpack. It’s not big enough for a pack gun tho (pistols, yes...rifles, no). I’ve looked at guitar cases, Raquette bags, camping bags, ect..... to me they look out of place if you are not dressed for the occasion. I doubt the regular Joe Schmo won’t pay no mind to those bags tho. So I’m still looking for the “right” bag.

·
Super Moderator
28,403 Posts
I have an older 5.11 backpack that is tacticool only on the interior, outside looks like a school backpack. It’s not big enough for a pack gun tho (pistols, yes...rifles, no). I’ve looked at guitar cases, Raquette bags, camping bags, ect..... to me they look out of place if you are not dressed for the occasion. I doubt the regular Joe Schmo won’t pay no mind to those bags tho. So I’m still looking for the “right” bag.

Don't forget a ukulele or travel guitar case for an AR style pistol or other folding stock rifle caliber.

Yes, most of us have a sidearm as an EDC but if you really have to fight a crowd, your EDC should be used to get you to your rifle, if at all possible. :unsure:

·
Registered
54,735 Posts
Generally what Caleb and LittleGator said. Crowd control in a mob situation. I also have been thinking of it as a car gun that I can take with me. My AR pistol fits perfectly in an old tennis racquet bag I have. It also fits in a couple of different backpacks. One looks too tactical to carry around and not be noticed. The other looks like a camping bag. I've been thinking of getting a computer bag with a deep enough pocket to carry it as well.
Mine is a spare water bladder pack including the drink tube and bite valve. Strap it on, go anywhere, no one would ever think there's a rifle in that set up. I usually throw one of the straps over my shoulder instead of wearing it like a water bladder pack.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I’ve got one of the original, stamped, thick metal, Chinese “sporterized” AK-47s. It has a thumbhole stock (wood) and a 10 round magazine. I want to convert it to a metal folding stock and composite grip and fore end. I’d also like to change the magazine to a 30 rounder. My understanding is that it is illegal to modify the gun unless I can show that more than 50% of the parts are of US manufacture (I might have that wrong, it has been quite awhile since I looked that up) but in any event I’ll review the requirements before I make any changes and will stay strictly within the law. If anyone has any experience modifying this type of rifle and would care to share the experience, I’d certainly appreciate any info.

Edit: I did misremember the requirement. Here is an article which covers it in detail:

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
I had an original stainless mini-14 with the wood & blued steel folding stock back in the early ‘80’s. I had the smith replace the original wood stock with the folder right there before I even left the store with it.
It lived in an assault systems case in the back floor of my car for several years.

I did carry it in the swamp, and though folks these days talk about how inaccurate the mini’s were; I shot a running buck in the head with mine, and the reaction was quite spectacular.

·
Registered
15,181 Posts
I had a Mini 14 back in the late 80's that I popped grounhogs with at a hundred yards on a regular basis

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Actually, it's one of the modern reproductions by Samson Manufacturing. But it uses all the original tooling from the Ruger factory folders. The only rear difference between these and the originals is that they use walnut instead of birch and the pistol grips are made from polymer instead of the original Bakelite. I ordered mine directly from Ruger.

Man, it looks just like my original one.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
For compact portability I’m partial to my MCK with my Glock 19. The picture below shows it with a standard 16 round mag. I have a Sig Romeo 5 red dot and a flashlight that came with the kit which can easily be activated with my thumb. It has storage for an additional mag, so I could run a couple 31 rounders. To show how small it is, I included a picture of it folded in a Publix plastic bag.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
My backpack gun is a Keltec sub2k that takes glock mags. 4 loaded 31 round mags with the 5th flush 17 rd in the gun, no round chambered [ of course as it folds up ]. That's 141 rds at the ready.

I've been carrying mine in and out of the truck for the last 5 months or so. Way to go Andy, forethought goes a long way in staying upright and "in the fight"
I’ve wanted to get one for a long time way prior to covid and this non sense. Sadly didn’t.

For me, considered, yes; Carried, no. :unsure:
Me too. I though of taking one of my AR15 with me going to work which is 36 miles one way and an hour drive. I have not done so as it is mostly rural and there have not been any issues in my area but that doesn’t mean things can’t turn ugly in seconds anyware.

I have added extra mags to my vehicles, started carrying a bug more frequently when out.

My brother sent me a link on FB to a BLM last Friday where these idiots were in down town New Port Richey “protesting”. That’s the last place I’d think anyone would go to “protest”. Just shows you stupidity is not location dependent. They were non violent and not damaging anything, just spewing their BS on the sidewalk causing a scene. About 10 NPR PD officers arrive and politely told them to “disperse”, they didn’t so they issued the “ring leader”, an African American Women with a megaphone and big mouth a noise ordnance citation. She refused to shut up and follow orders becoming more belligerant. So 20 minutes later they issued her a 2nd one, which she refused to sign for so.....wait for it....they arrested her and took her away in handcuffs. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Perhaps it is time to rethink arming up a little more with a long gun? I’m conflicted on keeping it locked in my car all day at work even in the trunk. Also I would want it in the vehicle while driving as it would do me no good to have to bail out if needed and it is in the trunk. I’m thought of putting together a short barreled one and going through the process as that would be more practicle length wise. Perhaps the pistol version is not a bad idea either with a back pack as the OP suggested.

Also wouldn’t mind a small Mossberg Shockwave right now too either. Another shoulda bought it when I had the chance opportunity missed.

What to do? Decisions, decisions, decisions. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts