Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See this video. I trust this guy.

Are they serious? We need to be all over this if true! Hopefully, Gov. DeSantis will veto if it should ever get that far.

Let's hope it doesn't.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I have been hearing about this. I didn't realize they are trying to through with it.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The Senate version is SB 334. Text of the bill is here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/334/BillText/Filed/HTML

There are some other bills too that are of concern.

SB 220 Safe Storage of Firearms https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/220/BillText/Filed/PDF
(Note: This bill removes the exception to having a firearm locked in a container or having a trigger lock when a person carries the firearm on their person when a child is present. So future carry at home means you have to have a trigger lock on it. Time for a new holster?).

SB 214 Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Mags https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/214/BillText/Filed/HTML

(note: putting a pistol grip on your Ruger 10/22 makes it an assault weapon. If you own the target version, that hole in the stock makes it already an assault weapon. Hi cap mags are anything over 10 rounds.)

This isn't weapons related, but is of big concern:

SB 308 Crimes Evidencing Prejudice https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/308/BillText/Filed/HTML

(Note: This inserts "gender identity" as a bias class equivalent to race, creed, color, etc. It essentially jacks up the severity of any crime committed against a member of said class by one degree - misdemeanor to 3rd degree felony, 3rd degree felony to 2nd degree, etc.). Here is an important mandate from the bill:

The penalty for any felony or misdemeanor shall be reclassified as provided in this subsection if the commission of such felony or misdemeanor evidences prejudice based in whole or in part on the race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, homeless status, or advanced age, gender, or gender identity of any person.

Or in part? How does one only "in part" commit a hate crime? Seems to me it is trying to say that if it merely appears to be a hate crime, it's a hate crime. YMMV.

Further down in the bill [775.0863 (2)] it provides a cause for civil action with treble damages and or injunction and other civil relief if a party can demonstrate they were coerced, intimidated, or threatened by anyone while being a member of one of these protected classes. So it doesn't have to be an actual threat, only intimidation. Not calling someone by their preferred pronouns is now cause for civil action. This could create a new field of specialization for attorneys... pronoun lawyers. This appears to be the government compelling speech, which I don't think is allowed.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I am against bills like these but I would like to point out that this is another "sky is falling" story. Some here like to constantly say they are always under attack. I guess it makes then feel better. It sort of goes in the same pile as "they are trying to take the Christ out of Christmas".
The FL legislature is solidly Repub. and will never pass bills like these.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I am against bills like these but I would like to point out that this is another "sky is falling" story. Some here like to constantly say they are always under attack. I guess it makes then feel better. It sort of goes in the same pile as "they are trying to take the Christ out of Christmas".
long list of that will never happens in mans existence.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thankfully You're right even though there are people trying their best to change that.

It's still important to point out bills like this, the people who push bills like this and the idiots who would keep them in power. If we ignore it because we're safely Republican they'll sneak up on us.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
SB 220 Safe Storage of Firearms https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/220/BillText/Filed/PDF
(Note: This bill removes the exception to having a firearm locked in a container or having a trigger lock when a person carries the firearm on their person when a child is present. So future carry at home means you have to have a trigger lock on it. Time for a new holster?).
Not only that, but my reading of the changes to the statute would make you guilty of a 2nd degree misdemeanor if a minor obtained your firearm because somebody broke into your house and stole it and it wasn't in a locked container or fitted with a trigger lock.

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
Not only that, but my reading of the changes to the statute would make you guilty of a 2nd degree misdemeanor if a minor obtained your firearm because somebody broke into your house and stole it and it wasn't in a locked container or fitted with a trigger lock.
So, a locked house isn't a "locked container?" :rolleyes:

What if they find matches or a lighter in your house and then burn down a school with it? What if they find the liquor, which isn't locked up in a separate container and die of alcohol poisoning?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I defended one of those cases where a police officer was charged with this violation because his daughter crawled under the bed and found a pistol with which she killed herself.

The statute starts out by stating that whoever knows or reasonably should know that a child could get a hold of the weapon could be in violation. It would be unlikely that a burglary by kids would be that foreseeable.

A locked house would not be a “locked container“ contemplated by the statute.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
My whole point in posting those was not to say the sky is falling at all. I think it's important to be aware of the kinds of changes that anti-gun politicians are actually willing to put into a bill versus what many of the various anti organization claim.

If you showed the average person a 10/22 for example, most would probably not find that to be a killing machine on the order of what they'd view an AK or an AR as. If you then showed them the target version of the 10/22 with the hole in the stock, they'd likely not associate that with "assault weapon" either... but when you look at what the bill contains, it DOES consider the 10/22 target an assault weapon only because of the stock design.

There are other things to note such as the prevalence of language against suppressors and threaded barrels. When you read them, it's pretty clear the authors have in mind a Hollywood/James Bond movie concept of what a suppressor is for (they call them silencers in the bill) and never consider a valid use such as to reduce the noise, not to make a stealth weapon for nefarious purposes. More than once I've had discussions with anti types who assure me they'd never support such-and-such a measure, and they act all surprised when I show them what a proposed piece of legislation actually contains. This is why I can't believe them when they tell me they are only interested in "common sense measures." There's nothing common sense about them.

My weed whacker came with an attachable pistol grip right in the box. I like to ask the antis if that makes my weed whacker an assault wacker because of that deadly attachable grip thing. What I'd like to see is them get as serious about demanding criminals using guns facing stiffer penalties as they are about ensuring civil penalties are in place if one fails to utter the preferred pronoun.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I defended one of those cases where a police officer
A locked house would not be a “locked container“ contemplated by the statute.
Ok……..so how did that one turn out? I would think loosing a child would be punishment enough!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Ok……..so how did that one turn out? I would think loosing a child would be punishment enough!
I got it dismissed on jurisdictional grounds. The suicide occurred in Seminole county and the firearms security violation occurred at his home in Orange County. The overzealous homicide investigator in Seminole county overstepped and I had a declination in pocket from Orange county. Orange county made the exact same comment you did.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Famous last words on the way to the camps - "Never happen here".

In FL we are marginally safe from falling sky so far, but it would be foolish to take that for granted. Doesn't make me feel better at all to hear that any elected officials think these are reasonable restrictions. This is clearly a liberal door-in-the-face strategy - ask for more than you can possibly get so others will compromise, meet you halfway, and you can settle for what you can get. Republicans give in all the time.

For instance, "We can't give on the magazine and 'assault weapon" ban, so we'll give you the ammo BG checks."

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
I think it is a great idea because it will stop the criminals and thugs from having a single bullet to do a mass shooting.
Of course they will not even think of a bomb, A Machete, A knife, A car to do the killing the voice in their heads tell them to do.
Someone is absolutely an EVIL idiot to even suggest doing this such thing.(((GGGGGGRRRRRR)))))))
PRESONALLY,
I think there should be a background check on anyone running for any political office in America along with a mental health evaluation.to go along with it.
Ronnie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts