Florida Concealed Carry banner

Background Check & CCW Permit approval

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  rayman 
#1 ·
What is the chance of your permit application being approved if your background check to purchase a firearm was approved?

#2 ·
Two different processes.

Background check to purchase a gun is done through FDLE, and the permit application is handled through the DOA.

#3 ·
Again, what AFJuvat said.

#4 ·
Florida is a shall issue state, so if you pass the back round check your golden. You should read John Gutmachers book "Florida firearms Law ,Use and ownership" . It translates FL S 790 to english it will tell you everything you need to know.

#5 · (Edited)
I ordered the book from Jon, I wanted the latest version and autographed, but because he is in the process of moving from central to south Florida he hasn't been able to ship it yet. The book is outstanding and according to many sources, he is the best in Florida gun laws. Honestly, I read the statutes and I got more confused. What I don't quite understand is who does the background checks for the Department of Agriculture licensing division?Do they use FDLE and the FBI(NICS) too or both?I want to educate myself as much as I can before I actually begin to conceal carry. Most likely every new owner has gone through the same apprehensive feelings of being jumpy or scared about carrying a loaded weapon, not to mention the legal ramifications after you have used your weapon to defend yourself. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate every piece of advice you can give me. I can't wait to exercise my second amendment right.

#7 ·
Not at all, my record is clean, I just purchased another gun and background check was approved. I am sure if there was anything questionable I wouldn't be approved. What I don't quite get is, when you purchase a gun, the background check is done by FDLE, they do it at the state and the federal level using the NICS. Florida DOA is in charge of CCW permits, do they use the same background check procedures as when you buy a gun or they have their own way of doing the background checks? I would imagine they use the same as the firearm dealers use.

#18 ·
Not sure who you're referring to but if you're referring to buzzie, give him a break. He's seems quite the harmless newbie with a lot of questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.