Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...have a question...

I know you are required to have a concealed weapons/firearms license to carry a switchblade/automatic knife, but what are the legal issues with taking it out of your pocket in public?

I know my question wasn't worded to well, so here's an example of what I mean... I've been carrying a standard pocket knife for about as long as I can remember, as I'm sure most of you all do to. I use it multiple times a day, opening boxes, packages, etc; sometimes in public. My question is if I were to 'replace' my common pocket knife with an automatic knife, am I not allowed to expose it in public and use it as if it were a ''common pocketknife'' because it is in fact a concealed weapon?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Assisted opening knives are ok, but a true switchblade, those I do believe have restrictions. Switchblade being the blade comes out of the handle straight out not like a normal knife that swings out.
Try the search bar for switchblade as I know its been discussed in depth before.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Assisted opening knives are ok, but a true switchblade, those I do believe have restrictions. Switchblade being the blade comes out of the handle straight out not like a normal knife that swings out.
Try the search bar for switchblade as I know its been discussed in depth before.
Wrong. Automatic knives can come out the front or swing out. What makes them automatic is they only require engaging a spring release with either hand for the blade to completely open. Assisted opening requires a manual movement of the blade to a certain point then the spring opens the blade the rest of the way. Assisted are legal to carry without a CWL an auto is not. I don't know what the law says on exposing the auto to plain view I would assume it is a violation because it supposed to be concealed. That iis unless you are using it for defensive purposes or to extricate someone like cutting a seat belt.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I seem to remember a rule on one armed individuals?

But the Switchblade is not a true one handed knife in most designs, takes two hands to close.

My preference is the Access lock from Benchmade, the locking device is a spring loaded bar, locks into a curve in the blade.

Relieve the spring catch, swing out, same to close. True one hand open, and close, liftime warranty as well.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I seem to remember a rule on one armed individuals?

But the Switchblade is not a true one handed knife in most designs, takes two hands to close.

My preference is the Access lock from Benchmade, the locking device is a spring loaded bar, locks into a curve in the blade.

Relieve the spring catch, swing out, same to close. True one hand open, and close, liftime warranty as well.
My preference too. I have a Benchmade Minirukus auto with axis lock.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
I don't carry autos any longer. I have a drawer full of them, and that's where they stay. I can carry a 'common pocket knife' places where I cannot carry a firearm or an auto and using the proper techniques, I can open a Syderco Endura 4 faster than any of my high-end autos.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I don't carry autos any longer. I have a drawer full of them, and that's where they stay. I can carry a 'common pocket knife' places where I cannot carry a firearm or an auto and using the proper techniques, I can open a Syderco Endura 4 faster than any of my high-end autos.
Your preference, I see no advantage in a non auto unless I'm out of Florida and the state I'm in doesn't allow autos with a CWL.Opening a non auto knife is fine if you don't injure your dominant hand unless you've practiced ambidextrous opening. My minirukus can be opened with either hand easily.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Your preference, I see no advantage in a non auto unless I'm out of Florida and the state I'm in doesn't allow autos with a CWL.Opening a non auto knife is fine if you don't injure your dominant hand unless you've practiced ambidextrous opening. My minirukus can be opened with either hand easily.
Of course it's a personal preference. The one major advantage is that I can carry what I carry in places you could not carry your miniruckus (legally, anyway, as the same rules apply to auto knives as they do to firearms). Ummm it would be rather silly not to be able to open a knife with either hand, don't you think? Yes, I am proficient at deploying my strong-side folder with my non-dominant hand. Besides, I normally have one accessible to either hand.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
And, keep in mind that state preemption laws do not apply to knives...any local government can have any strange knive law it wants.

I too have a drawer full of autos including benchmade, but only carry my spyderco endura.

It would be strange to get stopped with a knife and a gun and go to jail for the knife.
:thumbsdwn

Just Sayin!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Of course it's a personal preference. The one major advantage is that I can carry what I carry in places you could not carry your miniruckus (legally, anyway, as the same rules apply to auto knives as they do to firearms). Ummm it would be rather silly not to be able to open a knife with either hand, don't you think? Yes, I am proficient at deploying my strong-side folder with my non-dominant hand. Besides, I normally have one accessible to either hand.
Do you really believe that most people who carry a knife are proficient at opening it with both hands? I doubt it. I also doubt the majority practice to any extent shooting weak hand.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Do you really believe that most people who carry a knife are proficient at opening it with both hands? I doubt it. I also doubt the majority practice to any extent shooting weak hand.
I can shoot about the same with either hand. Operating the mag release and changing mags is another story though (still working on that one).

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Truth be told, Uechi, I don't much care what other people do. Some folks take this stuff seriously, some do not. Of course it would be desirable for folks that choose to go armed train and practice with their chosen weapons, but I'm well aware that this is not a reflection of reality. The vast majority of folks simply strap-up and go forth into the world to slay the dragons.

Doesn't negate the fact that a 'common pocket knife' can legally be carried in places an auto cannot, and they are not considered 'weapons' by statutory definition so I don't have to concern myself with a lot of things I would have to if I carried one of my autos...and the plethora of one-handed knives these days are just as easily opened with either hand, even if one is not proficient with the non-dominant hand. Conversely, the releases on some of my autos (Benchmade, MicroTech, Boker, etc.,) are not as easily manipulated with either hand as my non-autos.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Rvrctyrngr's point still stands, he can carry his knife almost anywhere. A normal folding knife on you is better than an assisted or auto that is not on you. I believe that was his point, and it is a great one. I just went through the researching process to get a folder and I made sure to stay away from any of the super tacticool/agressive, assisted opening knives for the simple reason that it is a grey area (JLDR v State).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts