Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok has anyone ever noticed that the majority of ATMs are designed better for the BG instead of the Custumer?

When i say this is cause i noticed that alot of ATM areas are either poorly lit have a tremendous amount of bushes or other greenery around it for the BG to hide in,or theres so sort of wall block the view from the public i which the BG can rob you without being seen.

Now also i have noticed some ATMs at banks are enclosed in a glass room and in areas like NY or Chicago where guns are prohibited all they have to do is wait for you to come out or wait for you to go in then your trapped. So i was just wondering if anyone has ever given this any thought?

I usually dont go to the ATM at nite but recently i did, to save some time my wife came with me she sat in the car ready and watching my back. call it paranoia i call it being ready.

Just wondering guys what are your thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
If there ever was a spot where you need to be keenly aware and on your toes, it's when you visit the ATM.

Scoping out the immediate area is essential before you exit your car and stick your card in the machine. Having your back turned while you are focused on entering the information leaves you at a another real disadvantage.

I would opt for a machine inside a store if I had a choice. Since i bought a secure safe, I find myself just keeping cash at home and avoiding ATM's completely.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
If I have to go to the ATM I go to the drive up kind. This way I can unholster and place my Glock on my lap. I make sure all doors and windows are locked and I pull up very close to the machne and keep the truck in drive just in case. I try to make it as hard as possible to be victimized. If anything goes down I'll try to drive away first, if I can't then it's go time. Am I paranoid, no. Being prepared is the first step in having a good defense.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
If I have to go to the ATM I go to the drive up kind. This way I can unholster and place my Glock on my lap. I make sure all doors and windows are locked and I pull up very close to the machne and keep the truck in drive just in case. I try to make it as hard as possible to be victimized. If anything goes down I'll try to drive away first, if I can't then it's go time. Am I paranoid, no. Being prepared is the first step in having a good defense.
That's pretty much exactly my game plan too. :thumsup

The free-standing, drive-up ATMs in shopping center parking lots I think are the safest...there's really nowhere for a BG to hide and ambush you.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
+1 on the drive up method with the gun in the lap. I also put an open pocket knife on the arm rest just in case I can't get to the lap in time. I figure the knife could buy me a couple of seconds if necessary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am lucky and extremely happy that I have an ATM in the hospital I work in. I feel very safe there as it is in a very well lit, busy, and safer than most ATMs in the sense that is in the middle of the hospital, so the BG would be locked in by security and police before he/she could find an exit when all I have to do simply walk into the switchboard operators office right next door to the ATM and her calling security over the walkie-talkie/phone. :ak:drinks:rifle

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 on the drive up method. Hey, it's Masaad Ayoob recomended ;) If we have to use the walk up, usually one of us covers the other.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Even the banks tend to agree on that. Many have eliminated walk-ups altogether in favor of the drive ups.

·
653 Posts
There are still some walk ups in my town. I avoid them like the plague. When I have no other choice, I will use them but I check out the area first, then keep an eye on the mirror if there is one there or the stainless steel around the ATM machine if there is any. I also turn and look now and then while using it. I also use the quickcash key when ever possible. I hate the ones that swallow your card and won't give it back till you are done. I have also noticed the landscaping that takes no account for the fact that it provides hiding places for the BG. Also the low lighting is a problem in several walk up ATMs in town.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I tend to just get cash back when using my debit card in retail stores. I can't remember the last time I actually used an ATM. So many of them in my area are set up unsafely, begging for victims. I think the banks think having a camera on or by the machine will mitigate the risk of ATM robbery, so don't worry about placement.

Survey says? X

-JT

·
Registered
132 Posts
What about the rash of thiefs stealing construction equipment and then tearing up and driving off with entire ATM's. Here in Ft Myers this seems to happen every now and then. Then there was the bunch of spanish dudes that hooked a chain to an ATM at a 7-11 and ripped it from the building with a pickup truck, then drove off with it. The security cameras provided great action footage of these crimes, but it did not stop any of them. It just seems that we are really not safe...day or night....anywhere...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As an atm tech, I've seen some machines in the worst possible locations. From dark basement corridors to middle of nowhere ie: live oak lane disney. Then there's my personal favorite..drive up machines. Why the hell would they put an atm outdoors on an "island"?
If you think using an atm is risky business; try servicing one. You're alone, usually in bad areas and the safe is probably wide open for anywhere between 30 minutes for cash adds/deposit pulls or quick repairs. To 4 hours for lengthy disassembly/repair.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I never use ATMs. I did years ago but I felt like I was bait! I'm way to paranoid to have to face a wall w/ my attention focused ahead of me for the amount of time i need to complete a transaction. If need cash I will go to a store and buy something so I can get cash back, not a stop and rob but a grocery store or Walmart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts